Religulous

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's true, i've always said that 90% of our wars are in the name of religion. it seems the issue though, are not with the religion itself, but more so with the idiots who CLAIM to be the "servants of God". that is what really gets me.

the idiots who USE religion as their ammunition to convince the uneducated what God supposedly wants them to do... you know, OBVIOUS things like blowing yourself up and hundreds of innocent bystanders because God wants it... or assassinating Gandhi because he wanted Hindus and Muslims to make peace with each other. And don't get my started on the Crusades. yeah, it's pretty obvious that God wants us to do these things.

Or the "war" on "terror"... :monkey3

Religion itself isn't the problem. The problem is anybody can join the club.:lol:lol:lol

i had a close friend recently turn his back on religion after living within its confines for 26 years... he is a University graduate and a very forward thinker, but it took the words of Richard Dawkins to get under his skin. He claims the hardest part of evolving from his christian cocoon is all of the wasted opportunities and strict parameters he tolerated... even if Mr. Maher's film only promotes one person to examine his belief system and strive for a higher evolution i say bravo!

Hmm, I'm liking the overall tone of this thread!

I like Bill Maher. I remember when he still had his show, "Politically Incorrect". Great stuff. I will definitely watch this, but maybe only on DVD. Movies at the theatre are just too expensive these days, and I'll enjoy it just as much on the small screen.

It's true, i've always said that 90% of our wars are in the name of religion. it seems the issue though, are not with the religion itself, but more so with the idiots who CLAIM to be the "servants of God". that is what really gets me.

the idiots who USE religion as their ammunition to convince the uneducated what God supposedly wants them to do... you know, OBVIOUS things like blowing yourself up and hundreds of innocent bystanders because God wants it... or assassinating Gandhi because he wanted Hindus and Muslims to make peace with each other. And don't get my started on the Crusades. yeah, it's pretty obvious that God wants us to do these things.

i don't have an issue with religion persay. Although i don't necessarily believe in God, there is a lot of good to learn from religious texts...

Very well said. The MESSAGE of religion is a good one.. It's just the people who use that for their own ends or to incite aggression.

Personally I find the whole thing offensive, and I'm a atheist.

People needs to make their own decisions about their lives, and ridiculing their beliefs is just mean spirited and the sort of thing that gives those of us that are not religious a bad name.

It can be a pretty crappy world. If belief in divine or supernatual forces helps somebody cope with it, and it gives them a bit of peace, what sort of jerk starts kicking sand in their face just to make a few bucks?

It's not a matter of him being an atheist - he isn't, but he is quite open about being an agnostic and having uncertainty as to whether or not there is a God. He's been quoted as saying that he hopes there is, but that he's "preeeeeeeeetty sure" it isn't the Christian conception that's got it right. Like all comedians, he's pointing out and questioning the absurdity of something deeply entrenched in our culture. A lot of people were ludicrously offended by George Carlin, an atheist, who pointed out the absurdity of religion regularly in his stand-up venue. The difference between Carlin and Maher is that Maher organized it into a feature film that he knew his fans would enjoy instead of just sticking to a stand-up routine. ... For full disclosure I should say I'm a huge fan of George Carlin, and am coming to appreciate Bill Maher more and more, particularly in this case. No one expects him to treat any topic with kid gloves; there's a reason the name of his former television program was "Politically Incorrect."

One of the reasons that I think probably impelled him to create a feature film instead of just bringing it up on HBO with good frequency is that, aside from the luxury of being able to cohesively organize his thoughts, he is quite tired of the direction the country is heading, and realizes that it's being pushed in that direction by the Christian right; part of his point with the movie is saying, "Why are we listening to these people?" That being said, the movie doesn't just view Christianity, but most widely-accepted modern religions with a critical eye. Everyone has some agenda, and whether or not you agree with the man's politics, I think when a comedian makes a cogent and humorous point, you're at least allowed to laugh.

Are people going to be offended? Of course, as made apparent already in this topic. Soooooo many people dislike Maher, and so many more have denounced him for being "unpatriotic." That's perfectly understandable, and while I may not have always agreed with his politics, I do find this a good topic for discussion, and at least, something to laugh at.

"so many more have denounced him for being "unpatriotic." That's perfectly understandable"

i don't find this understandable at all... it takes a certain love / passion for one's country to stand up to the things holding it down... if anything, Maher exemplifies what a good patriot is.

"so many more have denounced him for being "unpatriotic." That's perfectly understandable"

i don't find this understandable at all... it takes a certain love / passion for one's country to stand up to the things holding it down... if anything, Maher exemplifies what a good patriot is.

The main issue that people had hung over his head for a long time, and the reason why Politically Incorrect was pulled from the air, was because he said that the terrorists who flew the planes into the World Trade Center were "brave". I'm not going to stir up a hornet's nest with that issue, but I will say that, having stated that a week after 9/11, his timing was indelicate.

That matter aside, I do think this movie is worth seeing.

Maher pointed out (actually was agreeing with and expounding on the point made by a guest) that the terrorists who did the actual flying of the planes on 9/11 were driven by something other than simple cowardice. His greater point was that the people who carry out these types of suicide attacks don't do so because it is in their nature to be "evil-doers" or because, as Bush told us, they are "evil men" but for more complex reasons -- just as morally backrupt -- but not as easily catagorized and dismissed. Or at least, that's what I take away from his comment.

Maher pointed out (actually was agreeing with and expounding on the point made by a guest) that the terrorists who did the actual flying of the planes on 9/11 were driven by something other than simple cowardice. His greater point was that the people who carry out these types of suicide attacks don't do so because it is in their nature to be "evil-doers" or because, as Bush told us, they are "evil men" but for more complex reasons -- just as morally backrupt -- but not as easily catagorized and dismissed. Or at least, that's what I take away from his comment.

Exactly, his quote was, more specifically, that the 9/11 terrorists "were not cowards". The reasoning behind his statement you summed up rather succinctly.:clap

In an age of increasing religious intolerance, stereotypes and misunderstanding, I think that it's a great and healthy idea to stimulate thoughtful and respectful discussion so that people can increase their mutual understanding, agree to disagree despite our differences and come away with a respectful sense of appreciation for the diversity in our nation and world.

However, I don't that Maher had anything quite so noble in mind--this project just comes off as snarky and condescending to me. He seems to look upon these people and their beliefs with nothing but disdain. It's not playing in town, so I won't be seeing it until it hits video. But the tone of the trailer does make it seem like a piece meant to incite cynicism rather than dialogue.

Personally I find the whole thing offensive, and I'm a atheist.

People needs to make their own decisions about their lives, and ridiculing their beliefs is just mean spirited and the sort of thing that gives those of us that are not religious a bad name.

It can be a pretty crappy world. If belief in divine or supernatual forces helps somebody cope with it, and it gives them a bit of peace, what sort of jerk starts kicking sand in their face just to make a few bucks?

The point Maher is making is that people need to be rational and use common sense,especailly our politicians.I don't know about you,but I don't like the idea of the majority of the population,including our politicians,believing in these twisted made up fairy tales.It just says something about us as a people/society.We are smarter than this.

Why bother with even half of this religous garbage? Why not just stick to the facts? Although I wonder if half of these so called believers even believe in these religions. It just boggles my mind why people have to delude themselves in this sick way.

I don't care whether you really and truly believe in this stuff,or are just deluding yourselves,it's still a dangerous mindset.IMO

I'm sure that most people believe somewhere far way down the line that something intelligent started this whole thing we call reality.Or,that something happens when you die,and that you just don't die.But you can't go making sh t up,just so you can be part of one of the many get-together clubs.

What do I believe? I don't believe. I know. What do I know? I know nothing,but the twisted world around me.

Last edited:
The point Maher is making is that people need to be rational and use common sense,especailly our politicians.I don't know about you,but I don't like the idea of the majority of the population,including our politicians,believing in these twisted made up fairy tales.

It just says something about us as a people/society.We are smarter than this.
Why bother with even half of this religous garbage? Why not just stick to the facts? Although I wonder if half of these so called believers even believe in these religions. It just boggles my mind why people have to delude themselves in this sick way.

I don't care whether you really and truly believe in this stuff,or are just deluding your selfs,it's still a dangerous mindset.IMO

I'm sure that most people believe somewhere far way down the line that something intelligent started this whole thing we call reality.Or,that something happens when you die,and that you just don't die.But you can't go making sh t up,just so you can be part of one of the many get-together clubs.

What do I believe? I don't believe. I know. What do I know? I know nothing,but the twisted world around me.

...as opposed to all the violence, injustice and oppresion atheistic governments wreak on the world.
Please, don't even try and lay all the worlds woes at religions door step. Yours is just another opinion.
Dont make yourself out to be more "enlightened" than the people you disagree with or you become the problem
youre railing against. Your smug and sanctimonious attitude is as bad as some religious zealots Ive seen.

Last edited:
Keep your faith to yourself. Dont bring it into politics, dont bring it into non religious discussions, dont shove it down anyone's throat, and life will be goooood.

Back