Religious themed action figures? Would they be contreversial?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Azrael was Gargamel's cat?

Gargamel.jpg

Shaihulud said:
Yeahhhhh...bring on Lucifer, Beelzebuth, Mephisto, Leviathan, Belphegor, Azrael and all other greater demons of hell !!!!!!!!!

I would buy those....I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I love biblical imagery...I would be all over an angels/demons line...

^ You know, you mentioning the angels/demons...that got me thinking. I wouldn't be interested in religious themed figures, but I would probably be intrigued by mythological figures. The Gods and Goddesses.

Shaihulud said:
Yeahhhhh...bring on Lucifer, Beelzebuth, Mephisto, Leviathan, Belphegor, Azrael and all other greater demons of hell !!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Baal! :balrog

Josette said:
^ You know, you mentioning the angels/demons...that got me thinking. I wouldn't be interested in religious themed figures, but I would probably be intrigued by mythological figures. The Gods and Goddesses.

I think it would be an ave. SS could go down...if you take the direct relogious refrences out I think a line of mythological/biblical imagery would bo really well...

Customikey said:
The only hinderance I see is the 1st Commandment about graven images, but seeing as the church ignores that commandment daily (crucifixes and stained glass windows come to mind) I doubt too many people would be offended.

I love the little Jesus figure that has wheels so he looks like he's gliding! And I have yet to get my hands on Buddy Christ, even though I'm a huge Dogma fan.

Not to disagree but I'm pretty sure the 1st Commandment is Freedom of Speech. Am I wrong?

:lol

sheridan said:
im not a fan of organized religion at all,the less it has to do with our hobby the better. although i would like to see a line of demons in 1/6th:chew
I'd totally dig on those!! But given their success with Clive Barkers, I'd want McFarlane to do them. Nice little dioramas with the demon and their tools.

I thought I'd ressurect this thread. After rewatching the Ten Commandments this past Easter, I had myself a little Cecil B. DeMille marathon, watching THE KING OF KINGS, SIGN OF THE CROSS, THE CRUSADES and CLEOPATRA, and it made me think how awesome it would be if a 1/6th scale company got the DeMille licence. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS alone could produce some truly beautiful and valuable collectables.

Just imagine a 12" Charlton Heston as Moses and Yul Brynner as Rameses from either Hot Toys or Sideshow:

heston-redsea.jpg
22970r.jpg

Unfortunately outside of these two characters, I don't think figures from other DeMille movies would simply sell, because they are too obscure for movie goers and modern collectors now a days.

I would personally love an HB Warner Jesus:
1927kingofkings-lastsupper2.jpg

A Charles Laughton Nero:
sign-of-the-cross_1.jpg

And Henry Wilcoxon as Marc Anthony and Claudette Colbert as Cleopatra:
cleopatra_001.jpg

Also a figure of Ian Keith as Saladin from The Crusades would be sweet as well.

Bummer is religious themed figures always suck... at least so far. Problem being they are made by religious companies that can't really afford to turn out a good product. The Jesus from Toy Presidents had a shot... but that company turned to crap after their first (and only well made) figure of George W.

But he's kind of a religious figure?!?

Ya know, I guess I'm less interested in original collectables based on Biblical/historical than I am in figures based on movies based on history.

I really want a Charlton Heston Moses from Hot Toys.

Ya know, I guess I'm less interested in original collectables based on Biblical/historical than I am in figures based on movies based on history.

I really want a Charlton Heston Moses from Hot Toys.

Yeah, I could see something like that working out better... but I'm not that big of a fan so they'd be pass for me. Although certainly iconic enough to possibly have a audience.

After playing God of War II, I really wanted a 1:4 Atropos. That would have been mean. But now that I think of it, I'd really like to see the Olympian pantheon in 1:6. I just don't know of any company that could make figures that would live up to my expectations. Olympian religion is kind of a freak compared to the rest of the world religions, and religion has such a major influence in most cultures that I don't know if anyone could do them justice.

But the God of War games were pretty good. Zeus was awesome. Ares was awesome. Hades was absolutely sick. Who knows. I think the biggest hurdle would be finding someone even willing to attempt it. The market for dead religion action figures has got to be even smaller than the market for live ones.

Actually, since live religions have a better chance, I'll take a polystone Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil.

For years, I have wondered how most collectors would react if a major company like Sideshow, McFarlane of NECA picked up the rights to a religious themed film and made a series of collectibles out of it. Not trying to sound blasphemous, but I think it would be cool to have sixth scale figures of Charleton Heston as Moses and as Judah Ben-Hur. In addition to that, it would be intresting for a toy company to make figures based on THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, or any other epic, biblical-based films.
Of course there would be much contreversy over that. Would average people see that as a normal movie based collectible like something from STAR WARS, or THE TERMINATOR, or would they see it as cashing in on God's name?

Again not trying to offend, but after I saw Mel Gibson's PASSION OF THE CHRIST, it really stuck me as a licence I could imagine McFarlane trying to do. Not that I would buy any since I disliked the film, and the subject matter is kind of disturbing, but just imagine: A regular non-scarred Jim Caviezel Jesus, Pontius Pilate, A bloodied Jesus tied to a wipping pillar, A Roman Centurian, the Female Devil, all in blood splattred McFarlane style clamshells; and a box set with Jesus carrying the cross.

How would you guys feel about such contreversial subject matters being made into a collectible toy? Please discuss with an open mind.

i was just thinking about this the other day. people display darkness and all kinds of weird stuff. could that be interpreted as worshiping false idols in the eyes of god? i for one would like a detailed christ statue. maybe carrying the cross to his crucifiction.

Back