regarding the deteriorating dome of HT ED-209

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the reason they can't replace this part is that they need to replace the whole upper portion of ED. I can't say for sure since I don't have him, but it seems that replacements for Ed are impossible without a huge recall.

This is why I say NO MORE CAST RUBBER ON FIGURES HOT TOYS!!
It's why I had to pass on the Alien astronauts. :monkey2

Hot toys has replaced damaged parts for me in the past at no extra cost, they came through Toys Square though.
I'm still waiting on Sideshow for my replacement cable from the first AVPR Wolf figure, been waiting since he came out from Sideshow many months ago.:mad:

Here are a couple new pics of mine since that previous thread.

p1020376qs6.jpg

p1020378rj3.jpg

:horror :horror :horror I hope mine never gets like that...but if it does ill take pics.....

Looking at those pics though it seems easy enough to replace that rubber with something. The rubber layer seems to be pretty thin.

This thread got me thinking again about the reason for this problem. It's just a guess but, couldn't 'daylight' be responsible for the destruction of the rubber dome? There are all sorts of aggressive rays in daylight. My ED 209 is still in box, and there are no signs of disintegration; until now that is... Anyway, doesn't really matter now, since the damage is done. And, the reson will most likely be a combination of different things. Heck, even the acid mentle from your skin could have added to the problem! :D

Did anybody hear if the BD version, which was released later, has the same problems?

I'd still love to know how to replace this. I'm thinking of hitting the hardware store and seeing if they have any thin metal grating that I can cut and form. That may work, and will look much better than the rubber.

Mine's been on display since I got him, with no damage. He's not in direct sunlight, but there is constant light on him.

This thread got me thinking again about the reason for this problem. It's just a guess but, couldn't 'daylight' be responsible for the destruction of the rubber dome? There are all sorts of aggressive rays in daylight. My ED 209 is still in box, and there are no signs of disintegration; until now that is... Anyway, doesn't really matter now, since the damage is done. And, the reson will most likely be a combination of different things. Heck, even the acid mentle from your skin could have added to the problem! :D

Did anybody hear if the BD version, which was released later, has the same problems?

I don't display my stuff in direct sunlight, my shade is pretty much always pulled in that room.

If anybody could tell me where to get a screen or mesh that looks approximately like that, I could easily replace it, and it might even look better.

The pattern reminds me of the grill used on microphones. Maybe a microphone company can put you onto their factory. Whether or not they could do you a big enough sheet is another problem.

I don't understand. I once had a problem with the Briarios figure. I sent them ONE email, and they helped me right away. And I wrote in English too :D. I can only say good things about the HT customer service. But of course that doesn't solve the ED209 dome problem. The dome of my ED209 is in good shape, at least it was the last time I checked... But, having a replacement part - just in case - wouldn't be bad. My guess is they are completely out of extra parts for the older figures. If they would send out replacement domes, they would have to make them, and that would cost.
Well, assuming they would have to make new domes to replace the rotting ones, I hope they use a different kind of rubber that time.

Alice and Cryoguns, what email address did you use and what kind of documentation did you need to provide?

This is why I say NO MORE CAST RUBBER ON FIGURES HOT TOYS!!
It's why I had to pass on the Alien astronauts. :monkey2

My understanding, based on someone who is familiar with the material that makes up the suits and who posted regarding it's composition in the "Kane" thread, is that it's not made of rubber but of "silicone" and should last indefinitely. So if you're still holding out because of the material, don't worry and go for it. Dallas and Kane are easily two of my top 10 figures in my collection. :rock

My understanding, based on someone who is familiar with the material that makes up the suits and who posted regarding it's composition in the "Kane" thread, is that it's not made of rubber but of "silicone" and should last indefinitely. So if you're still holding out because of the material, don't worry and go for it. Dallas and Kane are easily two of my top 10 figures in my collection. :rock

Thats reassuring to know pal thanks:eek: To put my mind completely at ease though it'd be nice, out of courtesy, for their ever growing fan base, for Hot Toys to say this themselves...:monkey1

Alice and Cryoguns, what email address did you use and what kind of documentation did you need to provide?

I have an email address for an individual person in customer service that I contacted. I'll look through my old emails later tonight and see if I still have it.

Here are a couple new pics of mine since that previous thread.

p1020376qs6.jpg

p1020378rj3.jpg

Damn.. That looks really bad... One reason why I decided not to get the ED-209 was because of the price. Now, I'm kinda glad I didn't get it.. For the price you paid for the figure, you wld expect good quality materials being used.. But that deteriorating rubber on the dome is really a turn off... I didn't expect it to be that bad until I saw the photos....:horror

Natrix, how long was it before it became so fuct-up?

I have now covered my ED-209's dome in cling-film while the rubber is still good!!! I think I've had him since about April 2008 and kept him displayed in a cabinet away from sunlight.

Mine has the early beginnings of rot in the area where that gaping 'tear' is in the above pic - both sides. Seems to be symmetrically occurring so far. Can't remember exactly when I got Ed-209 but he was my first hot toys product. Must be about 2 years now.

Back