Ready Player One

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are people really excited over 1.2 second cameos?

You blink you missed it that’s nothing to get excited over lol

Ok Spielberg i’ll give you 1.2 seconds of excitement to match your cameos.

Yeah I thought the same thing before ever seeing the movie... But..

Excited might be a strong word...it’s “fun” and interesting concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what xipotec said.. It was fun.

I agree that if you take out all the cameos then the film does not have the same impact at all.

That car race in the beginning would loose so much if we were not watching the Delorean and they used some generic monsters. It would still be fun but the cool factor would be gone for sure.

I agree that if you take out all the cameos then the film does not have the same impact at all.

That car race in the beginning would loose so much if we were not watching the Delorean and they used some generic monsters. It would still be fun but the cool factor would be gone for sure.

Removing the cameos would lose some of the giddy fun factor but I think that all the same scenes in RPO would still be cool without them. Cameos can never save a poorly done scene, they only enhance those that are already good. I love E.T. but have never given a crap about seeing him in the TPM Senate, lol.

And Fury Road was missing the most important cameo of all, Mel himself, but the action was still off the charts cool even if it wasn't quite as awesome as it could have been had he been there.

One of my favorite scenes was actually the dance world. It had some chemistry between Zee and Artie, but also had some cool action sequences. Cameos just spice it up a bit imo.

I also just ordered the HC artbook. Stoked for Tuesday! :rock

Removing the cameos would lose some of the giddy fun factor but I think that all the same scenes in RPO would still be cool without them. Cameos can never save a poorly done scene, they only enhance those that are already good. I love E.T. but have never given a crap about seeing him in the TPM Senate, lol.
And Fury Road was missing the most important cameo of all, Mel himself, but the action was still off the charts cool even if it wasn't quite as awesome as it could have been had he been there.

It would still be good.. Just not as good IMO. The Film thrived on its Pop Culture references.. And lets face it I am not sure the masses like this movie even close to as much if scenes like "The Shining" was just some "Haunted House".. I thought the Ball Room Scene was the least interesting part of that scene because it was the most Generic.

No way I see this 2x in the theater if not for the Pop culture references.

TPM's ET cameo was really just that.. A Cameo.. RPO was more then just cameos.. Iron Giant was not raising his hands in the background of some scene.. He was a part of the story. Just as Mecha G was for final battle and the DeLorean was for the race.. Yeah Spawn was a Cameo but there was more then just cameos in this film.

Mad Maxx was a recasting.. Just like the Bond films.. Not really the same thing IMO

I am not taking anything away from the film itself ad its use of PC references. That is what made it fun. But I really would not have been nearly as into it if everything was generic.

Hell this thread talks most about the Easter eggs then it does the film itself.

Last edited:

It would still be good.. Just not as good IMO. The Film thrived on its Pop Culture references.. And lets face it I am not sure the masses like this movie even close to as much if scenes like "The Shining" was just some "Haunted House".. I thought the Ball Room Scene was the least interesting part of that scene because it was the most Generic.

No way I see this 2x in the theater if not for the Pop culture references.

TPM's ET cameo was really just that.. A Cameo.. RPO was more then just cameos.. Iron Giant was not raising his hands in the background of some scene.. He was a part of the story. Just as Mecha G was for final battle and the DeLorean was for the race.. Yeah Spawn was a Cameo but there was more then just cameos in this film.

Mad Maxx was a recasting.. Just like the Bond films.. Not really the same thing IMO

I am not taking anything away from the film itself ad its use of PC references. That is what made it fun. But I really would not have been nearly as into it if everything was generic.

Hell this thread talks most about the Easter eggs then it does the film itself.

I wasn't saying what the masses thought of this movie I was only giving my take. :) I don't think the masses care much for RPO at all, obviously if everyone saw it three times in one week like I did then it'd be a blockbuster. And I was using the word cameo very liberally, obviously if Mel Gibson was in FR it wouldn't a cameo if he was playing the title character. :) I just used that as context to convey why I think I still would have liked it.

I loved the cameos and major appearances by all the different characters from decades past, many of them put a huge smile on my face. But for me the film never lost its luster or came to a halt when the original characters were on screen. Sam/Art3mis' portion where she was trying to shut down the orb was one of my favorite parts and there were no classic characters in that sequence. Just my take. :)

I'm not surprised that not everyone loves this movie. It actually has quite a few plot holes, the "rules" of the OASIS are inconsistent and not very fleshed out, and as I've said more than once has a pretty cheesy ending with Sorrento getting arrested in the real world. But the characters, pacing, visual style, nostalgic throwbacks, the action and Spielberg's overall direction, even the romance, just make this movie a joy from beginning to end for me. We'll see where it stands five years from now but honestly IW and Solo have their work cut out for them to resonate as much as this one did for me.

I wasn't saying what the masses thought of this movie I was only giving my take. :) I don't think the masses care much for RPO at all, obviously if everyone saw it three times in one week like I did then it'd be a blockbuster. And I was using the word cameo very liberally, obviously if Mel Gibson was in FR it wouldn't a cameo if he was playing the title character. :) I just used that as context to convey why I think I still would have liked it.

I loved the cameos and major appearances by all the different characters from decades past, many of them put a huge smile on my face. But for me the film never lost its luster or came to a halt when the original characters were on screen. Sam/Art3mis' portion where she was trying to shut down the orb was one of my favorite parts and there were no classic characters in that sequence. Just my take. :)

I'm not surprised that not everyone loves this movie. It actually has quite a few plot holes, the "rules" of the OASIS are inconsistent and not very fleshed out, and as I've said more than once has a pretty cheesy ending with Sorrento getting arrested in the real world. But the characters, pacing, visual style, nostalgic throwbacks, the action and Spielberg's overall direction, even the romance, just make this movie a joy from beginning to end for me. We'll see where it stands five years from now but honestly IW and Solo have their work cut out for them to resonate as much as this one did for me.

Got ya..

Well I enjoyed it also... But all the Pop culture references took it to the next level for me. I liked the characters also.. But I also found myself a little more excited for the next pop culture reference
:)

Got ya..

Well I enjoyed it also... But all the Pop culture references took it to the next level for me. I liked the characters also.. But I also found myself a little more excited for the next pop culture reference
:)

Oh yes. I found myself enjoying the sequences on their own but definitely smiled all the broader when some classic character, vehicle, or weapon made an appearance including that bit of music from Back to the Future that you mentioned earlier. I even liked Iron Giant in RPO more than I did in his own movie, lol.

Ready+player+one+trigger+mentionlist+weirdfetishthings_ebc6f5_6572619.gif

It has be dwarfed by Fortnite, but still a really popular series. Highly recommend it. Battlefield has gained traction lately too.

No it hasn't Overwatch is still going but fortnite is a fad and it's only well known cause it's free. It doesn't really have staying power like Overwatch. Plus overwatch has been out for 2 yrs

Back