RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good movie.

Hey Snake, don't you…forget about me.:lol

9to8kBN.gif

Chinatown 7/10. Good movie. Not great. Liked Nicholson's character a lot. The plot was good enough, though not as compelling as some other noir movies I've seen recently. The ending was kinda abrupt and unsatisfying, though. And, maybe it's just because it was made in a different era than most noir movies ... but I missed the presence of a true femme fatale character. Dunaway wasn't bad, but she was too innocent ... and the daughter/sister thing was weird.

It's possible I'd like this one better on a second viewing, though. That happened with No Country for Old Men -- especially with the abrupt, unsatisfying ending. No Country is now among my favorites.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
I enjoyed Chinatown much more on my second viewing. I think it was hyped up by my film teacher in high school and it didn't deliver on all the accolades he gave it. With lowered expectations I very much agree with your rating.

Chinatown definitely benefits from multiple viewings. If for no other reason than you can better follow the labyrinthine plot. One of my favorite movies, even though I wouldn't give Polanski the sweat from my nether region if he were dying of thirst.

Real Life: 8/10

I've been a big Albert Brooks fan since I was in high school, and somehow missed this movie until now. Really terrific. Perfect casting of Charles Grodin. And a relevant commentary on "reality" TV, even though it was made before I was born. No way they would let someone get away with this kind of trailer nowadays, either:

Chinatown definitely benefits from multiple viewings. If for no other reason than you can better follow the labyrinthine plot. One of my favorite movies, even though I wouldn't give Polanski the sweat from my nether region if he were dying of thirst.

Real Life: 8/10

I've been a big Albert Brooks fan since I was in high school, and somehow missed this movie until now. Really terrific. Perfect casting of Charles Grodin. And a relevant commentary on "reality" TV, even though it was made before I was born. No way they would let someone get away with this kind of trailer nowadays, either:

Albert Brooks would have to be one of my 3 favorite comedic actors. He's always great, I just wish he worked more. I've seen everything except "Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World", which I couldn't make it past 20 minutes of, it just seemed too painful.

I think my favorites of his would be Defending Your Life and Mother.

That **** is hilarious. Cobra arrives at the supermarket last to make his entrance even more dramatic, then he goes in by himself without backup, singlehandedly kills the bad guy with his custom gun, but not before saying some cool line. Saves the day...goes home, but when he sees there's a guy parked on his spot, he removes the guy by force, rips the guy's shirt off and leaves him embarrassed in front of his gang. Then he finally makes it to his apartment, still wearing the jacket, gloves, and sunglasses inside his house, eats a cold slice of pizza which he cuts with some scissors while he cleans his gun. :lol

I think my favorites of his would be Defending Your Life and Mother.
Defending Your Life is one of my favorites, as well, along with Lost In America. It's funny that I've been thinking of him quite a bit recently, as I saw Finding Dory a couple weeks back, and he's the voice of Nemo's dad, and then I saw the Pets movie last weekend, where he plays the voice of a hawk. So, he's getting work of a sort! He was also in Drive, which I guess most people here have seen. Probably the most high profile acting gig I've seen him have in a long while.

Defending Your Life is one of my favorites, as well, along with Lost In America. It's funny that I've been thinking of him quite a bit recently, as I saw Finding Dory a couple weeks back, and he's the voice of Nemo's dad, and then I saw the Pets movie last weekend, where he plays the voice of a hawk. So, he's getting work of a sort! He was also in Drive, which I guess most people here have seen. Probably the most high profile acting gig I've seen him have in a long while.

Lost In America was great also, but a little short. I guess it's better to be short than to go on too long. I've seen all those with the exception of Pets, which I'll eventually see, but knowing Brooks is in it makes me look forward to seeing it.

That **** is hilarious. Cobra arrives at the supermarket last to make his entrance even more dramatic, then he goes in by himself without backup, singlehandedly kills the bad guy with his custom gun, but not before saying some cool line. Saves the day...goes home, but when he sees there's a guy parked on his spot, he removes the guy by force, rips the guy's shirt off and leaves him embarrassed in front of his gang. Then he finally makes it to his apartment, still wearing the jacket, gloves, and sunglasses inside his house, eats a cold slice of pizza which he cuts with some scissors while he cleans his gun. :lol

Stallone chose Cobra over Beverly Hills Cop. :rock

Scream 10/10
Scream 2 9/10
Scream 3 7/10
Screm 4 8/10

RIP Wes, what I would give for a scream 5!

Mother (1996): 6.5/10

I liked it a lot more when it first came out. Though it had its moments, by and large this one fell flat. And overly sentimental. Of all the Albert Brooks movies, this one seems the most personal to him. And that can be a double-edged sword. But it also felt like he was trying to appeal to the broadest possible audience, given the cheesy ending.

One thing that was pretty cool though, was that this was a great time capsule for the period in which it was made (similar to some of his other films). The style of the houses, the refrigerator, the way people dressed, etc. all made me flash back to the '90s.

Back