RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta ask, why only 7.5?

The second half doesn't hold up for me. The first half is excellent. Hence 7.5.
That's about what I'd give it. It's a very decent movie, but not a great movie.

Yeah, I'd rather watch Apocalypse Now or Platoon. Been some years since I watched it, and my opinion hasn't changed.

I gotta ask, why only 7.5?

I think FMJ being like 2 different movies tends to throw people off a bit. People get into the boot camp segment, and then get thrown into the Vietnam segment which is strangely disorienting. I think Kubrick intended it to feel that way. It is one of those movies that really demands a second viewing.

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad at all, but as Rushmore mentioned it's like two different films. I think the jump to the Vietnam section of the film is very abrupt and appears to be some time in the future and I can't help but feel disconnected from it at that point.

Yeah I'm not saying it's bad at all, but as Rushmore mentioned it's like two different films. I think the jump to the Vietnam section of the film is very abrupt and appears to be some time in the future and I can't help but feel disconnected from it at that point.

I felt the same way the first time I watched it.

The Vietnam segment has a almost surreal quality to it.

I felt the same way the first time I watched it.

The Vietnam segment has a almost surreal quality to it.

Surreal is definitely a good way of describing it. The score is excellent, and I think it lends a hand big time in the surreal feeling you mentioned.

I watched it with my fiance and it was her first viewing, and has the same reaction I did to the film. Being very much into basic training, and became disinterested in the Vietnam part. Although that changed toward the end with the sniper, and like anyone was surprised who the sniper was.

The second half doesn't hold up for me. The first half is excellent. Hence 7.5.

Yeah, I'd rather watch Apocalypse Now or Platoon. Been some years since I watched it, and my opinion hasn't changed.

The first half contains some decent character development between two people who then die at pretty much the same time... consequently the second half arrives and it's full of semi-developed characters. Beyond the first half the movie lacks narrative focus and interesting characters.

Surreal is definitely a good way of describing it. The score is excellent, and I think it lends a hand big time in the surreal feeling you mentioned.

I watched it with my fiance and it was her first viewing, and has the same reaction I did to the film. Being very much into basic training, and became disinterested in the Vietnam part. Although that changed toward the end with the sniper, and like anyone was surprised who the sniper was.

Certainly understandable, I always wished Kubrick had just made them two separate films. I think most people prefer the boot camp part of the film over the Vietnam part.

The first half contains some decent character development between two people who then die at pretty much the same time... consequently the second half arrives and it's full of semi-developed characters. Beyond the first half the movie lacks narrative focus and interesting characters.

I think you're being generous with calling them half developed. Pile and Hartman kind of co develop each other through the course of the first act. You'd think Joker is the main character, but he's nothing really but the narrator and he doesn't really grow at all, nor does Cowboy. The only change at all for Joker really, involves the death of other people.

Certainly understandable, I always wished Kubrick had just made them two separate films. I think most people prefer the boot camp part of the film over the Vietnam part.

The 2nd act just goes through the motions, without really getting any insight to the characters.

I think you're being generous with calling them half developed. Pile and Hartman kind of co develop each other through the course of the first act. You'd think Joker is the main character, but he's nothing really but the narrator and he doesn't really grow at all, nor does Cowboy. The only change at all for Joker really, involves the death of other people.

The 2nd act just goes through the motions, without really getting any insight to the characters.

I agree. Once they get to Vietnam the film doesn't hold my interest like it did in when the characters are in basic training. Overall it's a well done film but a lot of times I'll just watch the basic training then change the channel.

Back