Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's odd that some are stable and some aren't. Mine's about to fall over.

I have to agree with lightwave about the Gammy though. That's why I bought mine. At 250 ES that's pretty low but I just wish that Luke looked like the proto pic. The way he is now is just wrong.

It sure doesn't look like the same sculpt, does it? I wonder if Andy could chime in about that (although I wouldn't blame him if he didn't, since the reaction to the piece has been a bit chilly).

No, it doesn't. The whole look of it reminds me of one of those cheap, knick-knack porcelin figurines my Grandma used to have.

It sure doesn't look like the same sculpt, does it? I wonder if Andy could chime in about that (although I wouldn't blame him if he didn't, since the reaction to the piece has been a bit chilly).

Trev did the Luke portrait, Andy just did his body.

It may very well be the same sculpt. Paint apps can sure change the look of a good sculpt. I know the paint on the Rancor isn't even close to what the proto is. That could be what's wrong with Luke too.

I think you're probably right, but man... I can't remember the last time something looked so different with the production paint job. It usually changes to some degree, but it went from one of the best Mark Hamill sculpts ever to "who's that guy?" I swear the face looks thinner and the mouth and eyes look different, but part of that is the different angle.

ss_luke_rancor_proto.jpg
ss_luke_rancor_prod.jpg

If it's the same sculpt, it must have been severely distorted in production. For just one example, compare the width of the nasal septum on the proto to what you see in the photo below:

098-1.jpg

Whatever has happened to it it's just beyond me why someone at SS didn't look at it and say "that just won't work" before the factory cranked them all out. Including the Rancor color.

With every new picture posted my pleasure at cancelling (and keeping money saved for other collectibles) increases.

I could have lived with the Rancor colour (barely) but the Luke really is well below what SSC's standards should be.

What makes his worse is that the paint apps on "the Circle is now Complete" dio are fantastic... look how good Kenobi looks :google

darthvadervsobiwandiora.png

With every new picture posted my pleasure at cancelling (and keeping money saved for other collectibles) increases.

I could have lived with the Rancor colour (barely) but the Luke really is well below what SSC's standards should be.

Because of it I give thanks to god that I could change the regular version for the EX , It is not the perfect version, i wish to have the GG version , but it is very complicated for my to bring this statue to my country for dimensions and weight.:monkey2

Because of it I give thanks to god that I could change the regular version for the EX , It is not the perfect version, i wish to have the GG version , but it is very complicated for my to bring this statue to my country for dimensions and weight.:monkey2

That's how I would have displayed mine as well as it was the Exc. version I had on pre-order... And I probably could have lived with the Rancor colour (and if there was tilting I would have attempted something-- new padding-- to fix it) but that Luke. :monkey1

If folks are happy with it that's great. I'm happy to be directing the money that was going to buy this in another direction.

Back