Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rancor1.jpg

rancor2.jpg

rancor4.jpg

rancor3.jpg

Mine hasn't started tilting yet but the pads underneath the bust are being pressed down with the weight.
To solve the problem you could just take them off, or reposition them?

This should have been the dio they named "You're Going to Regret This."

:lecture

Mine hasn't started tilting yet but the pads underneath the bust are being pressed down with the weight.
To solve the problem you could just take them off, or reposition them?

You can see by the pictures that yours has a little better center of gravity. The Rancor arm is lifting each "victim" higher into the air when positioned correctly. If you compare to the ones that I posted, and also look at the production gallery, you will see that the errors seem to be with the positioning of the Rancor onto the post. It was probably pretty easy for a factory worker to misglue the angle.

Hate to be another person saying it... but I'm glad I canceled this piece. Its funny as I was worried I wouldn't have the room for it... but now I know I would have, but it would have been too small.

Just not seeing $250 here.

Love that AMT kit though... that is damn sexy looking :lecture

Hate to be another person saying it... but I'm glad I canceled this piece. Its funny as I was worried I wouldn't have the room for it... but now I know I would have, but it would have been too small.

Just not seeing $250 here.

Love that AMT kit though... that is damn sexy looking :lecture

Well take heart that you're not the first saying it... I was ticked off that I had to cancel originally as well-- but I'm also glad that I did. I'm also very close to cancelling the Jabba with Slave Leia sight unseen... The more I think about it the dio line (for me) isn't as appealing as the 1/6 or PF collections-- especially with releases like this.

If you want to make jokes, fine, but let's keep it tasteful and respectful please.

You are censoring me. I have seen many tasteless jokes in this forum and have never been censored. You are very susceptible Sean, but don't worry.

Last edited:
I don't want to knock the piece, because let's face it, if you bought it and you like it, it works for you. It's seems to me though that they could have shifted this to the Legendary Scale Bust scale and make it a bit larger and adjusted the price point a bit, and had a winner. The size increase would have made the paint apps higher quality and the larger scale would have fit better with the other dioramas.

This is the big reason I have resisted this line and stuck with the 1:6 and 1:4 scale collections. There is no scale consistency within the line, which has always bugged me.

I don't have them all, but it seems like where the dioramas have common ground, the scale is pretty similar. I believe the characters in all of the duel dioramas are the same scale. I'm pretty sure the Luke and Gammy of this dio are in scale with the Leia in the Jabba diorama, not certain though. Would make sense too, the Jabba dio as it is would have been huge if Leia were in the 9" range that the duel people are in, I think they probably planned the Jabba and Rancor dios to go together, and as long as those to match, that's fine with me. I won't have the Rancor dio with the duel ones so if it's a different scale that's no biggy, I have no other Jabba dios so it'll be a lone piece.

I don't have them all, but it seems like where the dioramas have common ground, the scale is pretty similar. I believe the characters in all of the duel dioramas are the same scale. I'm pretty sure the Luke and Gammy of this dio are in scale with the Leia in the Jabba diorama, not certain though. Would make sense too, the Jabba dio as it is would have been huge if Leia were in the 9" range that the duel people are in, I think they probably planned the Jabba and Rancor dios to go together, and as long as those to match, that's fine with me. I won't have the Rancor dio with the duel ones so if it's a different scale that's no biggy, I have no other Jabba dios so it'll be a lone piece.

Good point. I guess that's why the dioramas don't have a scale associated to them like 1:4 or 1:6. Don't get me wrong, I've been tempted by a few of them. I loved on the Luke/Wampa at a comic shop for three weeks but finally resisted because I knew it would only lead to the dark side (ie: more money out the window).

That's what I love about the Sideshow variety: There's something for everyone.

The bigger problem with the scale is for me that the Gam-Guard or Luke have another scale than the Rancor.

As the Figures are about 1:12 (like Obi Sabotage) the Rancor ist more 1:18 (Hasbro scale).
This is what really bugs me. It is in itself wrong no matter with what anything else you want to combine the dio.

I own all the vs dios and they all seem in scale to me. I was expecting the luke & gammo in this rancor piece to be that size.

I was also expecting the same for the upcoming jabba set. If leia is going to be this small, I may now cancel.

The bigger problem with the scale is for me that the Gam-Guard or Luke have another scale than the Rancor.

As the Figures are about 1:12 (like Obi Sabotage) the Rancor ist more 1:18 (Hasbro scale).
This is what really bugs me. It is in itself wrong no matter with what anything else you want to combine the dio.

Are you sure about that? There aren't very many good shots in ROTJ from which to judge scale, but the one below seems to show that the Sideshow piece is about right (which would in turn mean that Hasbro's recent "Jabba's Rancor" is actually oversized in relation to their figures). I outlined the Gammorean in red. It may be hard to tell in this shot, but looking at the actual footage with the brightness turned up makes me think the scale is about right. Look at the size of the Gammy's head in relation to the Rancor's mouth, for example. Also keep in mind that the Gammy's body is tilted away from the viewer so there's some foreshortening going on.

rancor_gammy_screenshot.jpg

070.jpg

Just had a chance to open mine and it's tilting as well. It's going back to SS. That alone would have made me send it back but the Luke sculpt/paint apps changing so much really bugs me too.

Hard to believe it was made where there is so much room for misaligning the rancor on the base. Major design flaw.

BTW, does it tilt w/both Luke and the Guard, or is just when the Guard is used?

Or does it even tilt when neither hand is inserted? Just curious how far off the mark this one is.

Back