Ralph McQuarrie Darth Vader statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine a couple weeks ago. I had #116. I shipped it back due to paint problems, specifically two areas (see pics below). Other than that, no issue.

Issue one: was on the right knee. It looks like however it was stacked or packed after the paint application was was on it, the paint was still tacky...d left an imprint on the knee. Very noticeable.

Issue two: was on the exclusive head sculpt. It had a scuff on the front of the dome right above the left eye.

I contacted them immediately. They sent me a return label almost instantly and it was sent back the next day. They stated they would send me a new one after mine arrived back at their warehouse (within two business days). It arrived to them on Thursday. I have a feeling my new one will not get shipped to me until Tuesday, next week (with Monday being a holiday and all).
Vader Exc_Helmet1.JPG
Vader Knee1.JPG
Vader Knee2.JPG

Sorry... I hit submit too fast.... I am a long time member of the RebelScum boards and lurk here from time to time.

Hopefully mine arrives in excellent condition. I hope there will be no broken cape. If that is the case, I will just send it back and just ask for a refund.

I am actually 80/20 on selling it or keeping it. 80% chance of selling, 20% chance of keeping. It really does not go with my collection, but I love the McQuarrie Vader concept.

The other aspect that makes me lean to get rid if it is I do not necessarily like the blue highlights in the paint. When I had it on preorder, I really thought it was the lighting and not actually the paint. Which is weird, because that is the only reason I did NOT get the Vader Mythos. I could not deal with the orange paint. But that is a personal thing I guess.

Anyway, I thought I would share my issues with this statue in case you all want to check your paint application in those areas. I use these bards to see what issues other people are having with their statues from SS.

I didn't like the highlights at first either but I got used to the idea considering most of my Darth Vaders are standard black. Seems like sideshow virtually used the kotobukiya statue and the efx helmet as a reference for colors sns exclusive headsculpt respectively.

Btw if anyone's exclusive head is symmetrical (particularly the dome from front view) pls post pics

I received my exclusive McQuarrie Vader sample ( number 181) a couple of days ago. No issues with it, just a great looking piece which I'm proud to display in my collection. Here's my picture review of Sideshow Collectibles rendition of McQuarrie's conceptual Darth Vader ...

SIDESHOWMCVADER00AA_zpsvltzhvfj.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00BB_zpshuimwif4.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00CC_zpsaouycdnq.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00DD_zps2houkphb.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00EE_zpsdxnq945n.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00FF_zpsntqsujjz.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00GG_zpsbv6f5iml.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00KK_zpsyihj7eg9.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00HH_zpskucybyuc.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00JJ_zpsqyonllca.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00II_zpsraohuyyx.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00LL_zpsm55lsldc.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00MM_zpselmsxule.jpg

SIDESHOWMCVADER00NN_zpsy8hl1gpc.jpg

Note: I'm fine with the blue highlights on the Vader statue. But of course, that's just me, and I can understand it might not be the same for others. To me the statue is representative of McQuarrie's conceptual drawing, where the blue highlights are intended to bring out details and show light reflection against Vader's black armor.

best-star-wars-ralph-mcquarrie-art.jpg

I received my exclusive McQuarrie Vader sample ( number 181) a couple of days ago. No issues with it, just a great looking piece which I'm proud to display in my collection. Here's my picture review of Sideshow Collectibles rendition of McQuarrie's conceptual Darth Vader ...

View attachment 344595

View attachment 344596

View attachment 344597

View attachment 344598

View attachment 344599

View attachment 344600

View attachment 344601

View attachment 344602

View attachment 344603

View attachment 344604

View attachment 344605

View attachment 344606

View attachment 344607

View attachment 344608

Note: I'm fine with the blue highlights on the Vader statue. But of course, that's just me, and I can understand it might not be the same for others. To me the statue is representative of McQuarrie's conceptual drawing, where the blue highlights are intended to bring out details and show light reflection against Vader's black armor.

View attachment 344609

Wow I love your setup!! Makes me wanna move to a place with more room!! Most of my collectibles are stacked around each other and you can't appreciate individual pieces as well.

Back