Ralph McQuarrie Darth Vader statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4865.jpg

No way the warp. (The rounded shape that exists on the actual product on the screen left side) was intentional

Mcquarrie a whole design is symmetrical. No way he'd have a concave plus convex mirror image.

The I got the "canned" and prepackaged response.
I don't think they realize when they deal with Star Wars collectors we are knowledgeable about these kinds of problems. Email them please.

IMG_7122.jpg

Sorry I don't know why the pic is so small and blurry

This is what the letter says:

Brennan (Sideshow)
May 17, 2:17 PM PDT

Hello Patrick,

The figure you received was the final production design.

The design between our prototypes and the production run of pretty much all of our figures change slightly.

Rest assured, yours is normal.
Best Regards,

Brennan Mount
Returns Coordinator

I'd email them but it won't change and have done so in the past about other things. That's their standard MO. It does happen, the difference with SS and other companies that SS won't even offer you a full refund cause theyre pretty ****bag about stuff like that.

I'd email them but it won't change and have done so in the past about other things. That's their standard MO. It does happen, the difference with SS and other companies that SS won't even offer you a full refund cause theyre pretty ****bag about stuff like that.

Actually I've been offered full refunds in the past. Or at least partial refund for a discount to use on a future product which is the least they could do for their customers.
But it's nerve racking that this could happen with today's we technology because someone's not doing their job.

Yeah they are going to send me a whole new one after I send this one back. I was happy with my number too. Was 20. Guess I'll see what i get.

My James Raynor figure was absolutely terrible. Went through 2 of them and it can't even hold the gun. I thought this one would be better since it's actually a statue. Looks so damn slick. Just hope the qc isn't super bad.

Yeah they are going to send me a whole new one after I send this one back. I was happy with my number too. Was 20. Guess I'll see what i get.

My James Raynor figure was absolutely terrible. Went through 2 of them and it can't even hold the gun. I thought this one would be better since it's actually a statue. Looks so damn slick. Just hope the qc isn't super bad.

It's well made. They also had lots of references to use between the efx helmet and the kotobukiya statue. So all they really had to do was make sure the materials and paint job were decent and make sure qc is good. It's ok in my book but the dome issue of the exclusive head shouldn't have happened Other than that the base is lovely and the overall statue is excellent. It's a great addition to any Star Wars collection

re: the warp. another company actually stopped shipping their completed statues so they could re-do all of the heads when a similar issue was brought to their attention.

it is a shame that the bean-counters have taken over at SS. Not only will they not do a thing...but they will charge you the shipping costs if you ask for a refund...because it can't be a defect if all of them are like that.

re: the warp. another company actually stopped shipping their completed statues so they could re-do all of the heads when a similar issue was brought to their attention.

it is a shame that the bean-counters have taken over at SS. Not only will they not do a thing...but they will charge you the shipping costs if you ask for a refund...because it can't be a defect if all of them are like that.

Sideshow seems to be well aware of the problem stating it's normal and using the excuse that it's a change from the prototype, educating me that it's typical that the final product changes from the prototype.

I asked for a better explanation and will report back when I have one

"Brennan (Sideshow)
May 18, 9:21 AM PDT

Hello Patrick,

Our production department does not share the reasoning for their design choices with us.

I can tell you that this was the intended final production design.
Best Regards,

Brennan Mount
Returns Coordinator"

So then they intended that warpiness to be the final
Product. This is obviously a QC issue

My response:
Hi Brennan,
Is there another Dept you can forward my concern to please? I'd appreciate being CC'd.
This is obviously a concern if every final
Product I order winds up being of lesser quality due to minor "changes@ that amount to warping or bending. If his lightsaber was bent you'd probably give me the same explanation of the final not matching the prototype. You don't expect a car to have one lopsided headlight even though the concept version changed from concept to final product. This is a QC issue. Or somebody got lazy and decided it wasn't worth the correction since it is exact in almost every way from the prototype. Except for the warp
This is not a consciously made "change" unless they wanted it to look like his hair was blowing in the wind. But I'm an artist too so I find this highly unlikely.

Please forward this thread to somebody who can solve this issue.

Thanks
Patrick Gealogo
Long time sideshow collector
(Since the 8" universal
Monster figure days)

Honestly, it seems the only options are: A) Keep the piece and live with the warp. I get mine tomorrow and will determine if I can; B) Return it for a refund. I didn't notice the warping on any of the photos collectors shared and still don't see it as a deal breaker, but that's just my opinion...

Hello Patrick,

I cannot send you a replacement head as I have mentioned previously. This was the intended design so we will not be able to correct something that is a non-issue. All of the heads that were produced for this figure have the same exact design.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this figure.

Best Regards,

Brennan Mount
Returns Coordinator

--
Well. The warp is officially "intentional"

Honestly, it seems the only options are: A) Keep the piece and live with the warp. I get mine tomorrow and will determine if I can; B) Return it for a refund. I didn't notice the warping on any of the photos collectors shared and still don't see it as a deal breaker, but that's just my opinion...

You don't notice the asymmetry in the dome skirt? It's also on the final product pics but not in the proto

This is specifically the exclusive head. Screen left of dome skirt is convex and screen right dome skirt is concave.

To be blunt like this: left ( And right ( respectively

If you have a pic of one that's not affected pls share. That'd help convince this returns manager

You don't notice the asymmetry in the dome skirt? It's also on the final product pics but not in the proto

This is specifically the exclusive head. Screen left of dome skirt is convex and screen right dome skirt is concave.

To be blunt like this: left ( And right ( respectively

If you have a pic of one that's not affected pls share. That'd help convince this returns manager

No, I definitely noticed it in the pictures once it was pointed out, just not before then. My point is that I need to see it in person to determine if I can live with it or if I return it. Regardless, I'll send an email to Sideshow in hopes that maybe they decide to provide a replacement head similar to the arm the provided for the Vader Mythos after the fact.

Actually I've been offered full refunds in the past. Or at least partial refund for a discount to use on a future product which is the least they could do for their customers.
But it's nerve racking that this could happen with today's we technology because someone's not doing their job.

I have as well, but that has to be something out of the norm. If something happens to all of them, even if it UNintended unless it's incredibly horrific (like Rogue) they don't seem to do ****. If i wanted to return I'd have to cover the shipping both ways, same for the partial refund. For example I had a few chips on my P2 bust. But bad magnets, paint not being up to par, etc? Hell no.

Also I've had Brennan in the past, gave me the same **** over my masked predator lsb (which they did pretty poorly). I don't know if it's just that he gets stuff they can't do or just he himself is difficult to work with but I hope I never get him as a rep ever again :| I had Ashley for my last one, she was great.

I have as well, but that has to be something out of the norm. If something happens to all of them, even if it intended unless it's incredibly horrific (like Rogue) they don't seem to do ****. If i wanted to return I'd have to cover the shipping both ways, same for the partial refund. For example I had a few chips on my P2 bust. But bad magnets, paint not being up to par, etc? Hell no.

Also I've had Brennan in the past, gave me the same **** over my masked predator lsb (which they did pretty poorly). I don't know if it's just that he gets stuff they can't do or just he himself is difficult to work with but I hope I never get him as a rep ever again :| I had Ashley for my last one, she was great.

I agree. Customer service there is not what it used to be. Or I just got someone who is very unhelpful. Reps like that make the company appear to be money grabbers. Take the money and run while the customer is all smiles. I hope I don't get a Brennan again in the future either. I don't think he understands the customer base the way other service reps there do. And he's the manager .... it's disheartening and makes you think twice before buying again from them anyway.

I just opened mine and the cape is broken. What a drag. I doubt they'll have a replacement of such a large piece. I put a lot of rewards points toward this so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Ask for replacement? You never know until you ask.

Of course I'll ask but if they can't replace it this thing is already going for $700 so returning it would mean no McQuarrie Vader for me and keeping it would mean I'd have to find a way to fix it.:gah:

Back