Ralph Lauren fires 120lb model for being too fat.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!....am I late or what!?

Look, guys! Sheeet like this happens everyday if you work in the fashion industry. The girl is size 6. Typical models are size 4 down. Sample clothes are size 4 down. A fashion house usually hire models who can fit in their clothes when doing a campaign. Sad but true....I do agree the photoshopped images reeks of amateurish talent but the ads were distributed mostly in Asia and those people don't know any better.:D.....Sic a white person in front of asians and trust me, my people will praise them like gods!:rotfl

They should just show their clothes on hangers, or 12 year old boys. I've never understood their reasoning.

They should just show their clothes on hangers, or 12 year old boys. I've never understood their reasoning.

Heh, it's a crazy industry, I'm telling you. I do admit she's a bit curvy for a runway model.....Shame on Ralph Lauren, though. For a multi-billion dollar company, I'm pretty sure they could afford decent editors.

She looks gross In the photoshopped pic they made her torso smaller than her head. I would even say 5'10" 120lbs is underweight that's a tall woman.

The title of the thread is just as sensationalistic as the story itself.

It starts off factually, then suggests a possible assumption as fact. She wasn't fired for being too fat, but rather, overweight. Over the weight stated in her contract. Then they state that she said something, which wasn't written between quotation marks, followed by what she did actually say, between quotation marks. Another distortion of the truth. Who wrote this garbage? Some nimrod that can't work out that they kept on using her image because they paid for them. Finally the writer passes their own judgement saying "the brand still has yet to accept responsibility for their actions."

Sour grapes. Crap editorial.

290v9sx.jpg

I think there's more to this story. She was actually dropped 6 months ago by the RL group prior to this issue. Why now!?:confused:

Sad that those ridiculously thin women are the "ideal" woman according to fashion designers, but I don't feel bad for that woman. If you make your living based on how you look, and no longer look the way that those that pay you want you to look, then you lose your job. Seems fair to me.

Sad that those ridiculously thin women are the "ideal" woman according to fashion designers, but I don't feel bad for that woman. If you make your living based on how you look, and no longer look the way that those that pay you want you to look, then you lose your job. Seems fair to me.

Yep, same goes for those Victoria Secret underwear models. If one of them got overweight, they would fire them. The natural of those type of modeling jobs is that you need to stay thin. Those employers are well within their right to set a bona fide occupational qualification that sets a certain body type for that job.

That being said, I enjoy woman who actually eat once in a while, not just rabbit food. Who else will eat cheesecake off of my ass...

Yep, same goes for those Victoria Secret underwear models. If one of them got overweight, they would fire them. The natural of those type of modeling jobs is that you need to stay thin. Those employers are well within their right to set a bona fide occupational qualification that sets a certain body type for that job.

That being said, I enjoy woman who actually eat once in a while, not just rabbit food. Who else will eat cheesecake off of my ass...

Victoria's Secret actually recruits curvy models.....:lecture

The problem here is that, by any standard other than those of an anorexic, the model is not "overweight".

Or are you trying to argue that a 5'10" woman who weighs 120 pounds is overweight?

There's overweight and there's over weight. Over the weight that is stipulated in the contract, that is.

If there weren't any women that qualified within their 'standard' weight, they wouldn't get any women to pose for them. There are plenty of women that fit the bill, so they prefer to get them. The Fashion industry goes through plenty of models, sometimes it's their weight that's an issue, sometimes their age, their look, their height, pregnancy, whatever fashion dictates at the time. The professional life of a model isn't that long, unless one is able to map out a viable course.

There's overweight and there's over weight. Over the weight that is stipulated in the contract, that is.

If there weren't any women that qualified within their 'standard' weight, they wouldn't get any women to pose for them. There are plenty of women that fit the bill, so they prefer to get them. The Fashion industry goes through plenty of models, sometimes it's their weight that's an issue, sometimes their age, their look, their height, pregnancy, whatever fashion dictates at the time. The professional life of a model isn't that long, unless one is able to map out a viable course.

...Like becoming an actor, for instance. People keep forgetting modeling is a job, not a career!:lol

Off my Christmas shopping list this year. I had targeted some nice items at Saks. Fortunately there are plenty of other choices.

This is radiculous. Why does the fashion industry do this to woman? I mean why on earth are there size double zeros on clothing racks. My opinion is this: if you are a size zero then you don't exist. Zero is nothing, which means there should be no size zero because the person shouldn't exist.

They preach and preach about self esteem for young girls but yet ever 2 years they are changing the size of clothes. A size 5 last year is not a size 8 this year. Way to go fashion industry!! Destroying womens self esteem on dress size at a time.
It is disgusting what they do to women. They say rap music degrades women.... no the fashion industry does it much more efficiently.

I love healthy women!! No zombies for me!!

...Like becoming an actor, for instance. People keep forgetting modeling is a job, not a career!:lol
Well, the best models are probably paid enough in a few year period to sustain them for the rest of their lives. Of course, many models experience a mid-career shift from modeling to finding a rich old sugar daddy.

Then there is the Tyra Banks route.

Back