Raiders : IDOL picture thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol I like how this thread was made to crap on this piece. Nice. I know you guys have keen eyes for something that has had many versions and iterations over the last two decades but to me it looks nice. Classy even. I am glad I kept my order even though it's "a 50 dollar eBay" turd.

My thoughts exactly. I'm very happy to keep my order, and I'll make sure not to post my pics in this thread.

no problem! :banana

I don't feel like bumping up a thread that was created to crap on a piece when others want to share their joy of having it in a non-hostile posting environment.

Just calling em' like I see em'. I could call you hostile for your support of the piece just based on the inaccuacies alone but why would I do something so silly? It's all subjective anyways, dude. No reason to be so serious. All of this is meant for our enjoyment.
If you'll check my comments on the Henry Sr. 1:6 and Mola Ram PF you'll see I'm not just a Sideshow basher for the sake of it and this thread was not created for that purpose. Not at all. I see nothing wrong with those pieces. Why?...because my opinion was that Sideshow took it to the next level and kicked all kinds of ass with those two pieces. I think they did a pretty poor job on what could have been a great idol. Instead, for whatever reason, they chose to ignore certain aspects of the prop to take it to that next level when they had the chance from square one. Perhaps the casual fan is exactly what they want their market to be comprised of? If so then they have scored a home run with this piece, I'm sure. It's just that the purists will be waiting a bit longer for a better licensed representation of the idol. There is nothing wrong with either scenario.

You are being a little hostile when you call it "half ass" especially when it could very well be LF mucking up the process. But that's just discussion about discussion. :lol

Personally I'm casual enough that I thought it looked pretty good. The side by side with the screen-used prop repro does make you wonder how such inaccuracies come about, though.

And completely aside from every point, love your avatar Agent5.
"Don't take any guff from those ****ing swine!"

Yeah, I have to say Half Ass is a little strong. It may not be perfect but it looks pretty dang cool to me.

Last edited:
Anyway, guys, gobler idol or sideshow idol are not faithfull to the original hero prop screen used. So both are equally valid, since none has been used in screen :D

There are clear differences not only by the human eyes. In the hero prop, for example, the eyelids are much wider, giving a more meso-American look ;)

You are being a little hostile when you call it "half ass" especially when it could very well be LF mucking up the process.
I have to say I agree that it is most likely LFL licensing that is the main cause of many of the inaccuracies from the Indy line. Many of the 'pending approval' prototypes have been perfect. Then...

It's definitely one of the most frustrating and fascinating aspects of collecting. What exactly does go on with these approvals? Is it someone who totally doesn't care about their job or someone who just doesn't know any better?
No one on either end will ever give an accurate account because they're both making money.

I fall into that "officially licensed over custom" camp. Custom pieces mean little to me, no matter how accurate they may be, but of course it's all about personal preference.

Sideshow's version came out nice, but I agree that the base is what makes this piece. I especially like the artwork design on the bottom. Not a high priority for me to buy though. I'll wait. I'm just not that big into collecting prop replicas to get excited about this.

I would have preferred the 1:1 Indy bust rather than Sideshow getting into making prop replicas. This piece is already proving that if it's not accurate it's a hard sell. Sideshow will probably run into the same criticisms with the Ark...if they ever get around to making it. I don't foresee this line lasting very long.

Doesn't surprise me who in this thread doesn't like the idol or has bashed it already. With that said I think it looks pretty badass and I will take the $200 one over the $600 gobler any day because the only person who would know the difference would be me and even then I wouldn't unless they were side by side. I collect alot more than just Indy props so money as to go around.

Yes, there does seem to be a few minor inaccuracies with some of the features. But I half to admit when I first started reading this and I noticed the side by side pics from agent5, I instantly started looking at the pics before reading which piece was from Sideshow vs Gobler. I was totally bummed to learn that we were getting the piece on the right. No sooner did I scroll back up to clarify the Sideshow piece was on the left. I think the finish on the Sideshow piece looks much better than the Gobler. To me the Gobler looks like a fake finish, whereas the Sideshow piece looks like a real Gold replica. I also think the Gobler has a few flaws in that the face seems to narrow and facing upward to much. On top of all this Sideshow has delivered an out of this world pedestal all for $200. I am very happy with this piece from Sideshow and hope they continue to make more 1:1 prop replicas.

I think it looks OK, even though it's not movie accurate as the Gobler,
you get what you pay for. how come nobody has made a replica with the glass eye effect of the movie?
Is it that it's too hard to make it that way?

To me the Gobler looks like a fake finish, whereas the Sideshow piece looks like a real Gold replica.

Gobler's is vacuum metallized same as the real one, by the same company that did the real one and the ark. Sideshow's is spray painted. Their are two idols seen on screen, 3 if you count the stunt idol during the throw to Satipo, I could sit here and explain why Sideshow's shape is wrong again, but theres already pages of it here so just look that up. Were not just sitting around waiting to ____ on Sideshow, I'd like them to pay attention to detail so the ark and whatever else we probably won't get at this point turns out correctly. Its argueably the most iconic prop in history, why just get the basic shape right instead of the actual details? No other company will likely get a shot at this again, so yea I'm dissapointed.

Heres one of many pages dedicated to the idol.

https://www.thegoldenera.net/idol.html

I think it looks OK, even though it's not movie accurate as the Gobler,
you get what you pay for. how come nobody has made a replica with the glass eye effect of the movie?
Is it that it's too hard to make it that way?

Yea one company made the moving eyes version. Can't remember the name but they did a very limited run it was complicated. It opened at the hair line to allow access to the eyes which had a small motor to move them left and right.

That company is steltercreative

IMAG0008.JPG

IMAG0001.JPG

But I have seen other nice idol with human eyes from a forum member Indy fan.

I have mine in progress. I´m waiting mine from the metalizer. Then, I´m going to finish the eyes and the inside support for them.

3692394424_5516ee8d26_o.jpg

The eyes are not finished. Then, I have to make those with translucent resin for the pupils.

Thats excellent, did you do all of the work yourself?

Yes, if you refer at the last pic. The finished idol is from steltercreative.

Mine, in progress, is a new resculpted and modified from an idol with the mouth down. I have a lot of modifications, not only the mouth, for make it more SA and then I mold my rebuild idol for cast a copy in hollow resin.

Yes, if you refer at the last pic. The finished idol is from steltercreative.

Mine, in progress, is a new resculpted and modified from an idol with the mouth down. I have a lot of modifications, not only the mouth, for make it more SA and then I mold my rebuild idol for cast a copy in hollow resin.

Yes yours is what I was talking about, I've seen the stellar version.

Yours is much more impressive looking so far, are you going to have it vaccum metalized or plated?

Deckard, when the cast is in resin (polyurethane), the only avalaible method for it is the vacuum metalized, the gold plated is more for metal body. Vacuum metalized has a first chrome layer and then the gold effect is with the use of a yellow protective coat sprayed. For this reason, the gobler idol, inside the mouth you can see the chrome layer (more white)

Back