RAH Freddie Mercury

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Far from the truth brother :) I used to play guitar and bass (for about 15-17 years) and just never really dug Queen all that much. I never understood the appeal, and by the time Wayne's World came out I really, really couldn't stand Queen.

Looking at it retrospectively though, the band was very good, but I don't think it was the singer alone that made them good. Far from it actually, like most groups, a singer alone does not make the full dynamic of what a band is. Surely no one would by toys based on the rest of Queen though...

At the end of the day, though, we're looking at a very well crafted figure on someone I personally don't think was that great.

If I were still in my twenties, I'm sure I'd still be listening to Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and Johnny Cash...

:)

I agree with one thing here, the rest of Queen was great and I heard a few people saying or more or less saying then Queen was an okay band but Freddy was amazing. I think the whole group really was quite good, including freddy though. And honestly by your comments I thought you were around 18.

Any way, I think I'm sold on this figure.

I'm guess I'm in the minority here, but I never got into Queen because of Freddie. Brian May is unquestionably a great guitarist who wrote some incredible riffs, and in my opinion, was just as instrumental in their success as Freddie.

Let the name calling begin, but even as a kid, I always knew there was something a little *ahem* different about Freddie. To me, the whole gay thing just takes me out of the element. Sorry. He looked like the prototypical/stereotypical gay guy and I couldn't stand watching him prance around on stage. Painful....

But there's no doubt Queen was a very original and influential band. That said, I still think there are better, more influential bands, that have not been done by anybody that would sell better than a Freddie Mercury doll.

freddierahhl1.jpg

Eeeek! That head might just be a deal breaker.:horror:horror:horror

It's a face that only a Medi-Freak could love. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Let the name calling begin, but even as a kid, I always knew there was something a little *ahem* different about Freddie. To me, the whole gay thing just takes me out of the element. Sorry. He looked like the prototypical/stereotypical gay guy and I couldn't stand watching him prance around on stage. Painful....

Wait, (if I'm reading this right) you didn't like the band because one of the members was a homosexual? When it comes to music, imho, the only thing that matters is the music, not who the artists frig when not making music.

Besides, there are plenty of great musicians who were either gay or bi that made some amazing music: Elton John in the 70's. Gay and wicked. David Bowie and Lou Reed. Bi and wicked. Maynard from Tool. Gay and wicked. Rob Halford from Judas Priest. Totally gay and rocked. kd lang. Muff divin' with amazing pipes. Long John Baldry. Yup, him too. Bronski Beat. waving the rainbow flag, and a great album called Age Of Consent. Tracy Chapman. Driving in a fast car to get to the dive meet. George Michael. Well, 'Freedom' was an incredibly well made song. Bob mould from Husker Du. Uh-huh, punk and gay. Cole Porter. Night & gay. Rufus Wainwright.

And that's just off the top of my head :)

Tchaikovsky was gay. Does that mean you turn the Nurcracker off every christmas if you hear it?

Edit: I had no idea about Maynard. Wow. :lol

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but I have to admit they'd be some BORING figures. Its not like they wore anything cool on stage.

Now Peter Gabriel.

Genesis_PeterGabriel_live.jpg

Or my favorite: Rick Wakeman from Yes

250px-Rick_wakeman_on_stage_with_cape.jpg

Now those would be must haves.

Freddie a was funny looking dude, I think the headsculpt does him justice.

I hadn't thought about the whole "gay" thing - but they'd certainly make for more interesting action figures. Most 1/6 military collectors could probably assemble a whole set of the Village People just from their existing collection. But a Elton John or Bowie from Medicom would be great or the New York Dolls in full glam?

Groups like Floyd or Zep would make for pretty boring figures.

Wait, (if I'm reading this right) you didn't like the band because one of the members was a homosexual? When it comes to music, imho, the only thing that matters is the music, not who the artists frig when not making music.

Besides, there are plenty of great musicians who were either gay or bi that made some amazing music: Elton John in the 70's. Gay and wicked. David Bowie and Lou Reed. Bi and wicked. Maynard from Tool. Gay and wicked. Rob Halford from Judas Priest. Totally gay and rocked. kd lang. Muff divin' with amazing pipes. Long John Baldry. Yup, him too. Bronski Beat. waving the rainbow flag, and a great album called Age Of Consent. Tracy Chapman. Driving in a fast car to get to the dive meet. George Michael. Well, 'Freedom' was an incredibly well made song. Bob mould from Husker Du. Uh-huh, punk and gay. Cole Porter. Night & gay. Rufus Wainwright.

And that's just off the top of my head :)

Wow, that's quite an extensive list for coming off the top of your head! :D

You probably read it right, but inferred a little too much. The knowledge that an artist is gay doesn't make me dislike their music by default. I never cared for Freddie's voice for starters. Some of my favorite singers aren't necessarily the most technically proficent, but I like the texture and/or emotion of their voice. I just never liked his vocal style. But what definitely turned me off was his appearance and stage presence. Sorry. Yes, it contributed to my dislike of the band overall. I guess I prefer my homosexual performers a bit less flamboyant. Sue me.

And Bronski Beat? :rotfl

Frankie Goes to Hollywood -that would be an interesting figure set too.

You know Dave, sometimes I worry about you. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Besides, I don't see how Mick Jagger or Johnny Rotten are any less compelling a 1:6 portrait than Syd Barrett or Roger Waters.

Freddie Mercury, in my opinion is in the top 3 greatest lead singers of all time. When it comes to just plain male vocalists Freddie is at the top. Freddie had a powerful voice that was recognizable and stood alone.
Just listen to Under Pressure, not only does Freddie hit some of the highest notes in Rock history but David Bowie is outshined by this upstart from South Africa.

When it comes to Queen themselves, all you need to know is that in 1985 when artists from all genres came together to perform for Live Aid, the act that stole the show was Queen. After Live Aid, if you said Queen was the greatest band in the world, anyone would be hard pressed to disagree.

Queen influenced every genre, Another One Bites The Dust, written by Queen Bass player John Deacon and one of Queen's most successful singels, hit number one in the Pop, Rock, Reggae and R&B catergories.

I think Freddie being gay was part of his charm. Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Prince and Bowie are flamboyant but they all take a back seat to Freddie when it comes to shear energy and stage presence.

Franz Ferdinand lead singer Alex Kapranos names Freddie Mercury and Queen as his biggest influence in music. There will be no one ever in this world like Freddie Mercury and Queen.

I am off my high horse now. God save Queen.

Back