Questions from a new collector

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Super Freak
Reaction score
About a month ago I started purchasing Sideshow Premium Format and Comiquettes. I'm relatively new to collecting and I do it for pleasure not to profit. Money is not a huge issue although I want to make sure I don't go overboard.

Is there anything I should know about what sorts of display cases to buy? I've been buying IKEA Detolf cases for my action figures.... are they good for statues? I will be renovating my basement and setting up a new games room. Im wondering if I could get some advice. I have a tendancy to go overboard....

So far I bought

-Gambit EX PF
-Wolverine EX PF
-Sabretooth EX PF

On Order
-Women of Marvel Series: Invisible Woman EX Comiquette
-She Hulk EX PF
-Black Panther EX PF
-Ms Marvel EX PF
-Thanos EX Diorama
-Carnage EX Comiquette
-Spider Man EX Comiquette
-Hulk EX Comiquette
-Nightcrawler EX Comiquette
-Colossus EX Comiquette
-Psylocke EX Comiquette

and Im thinkin about ordering the following
-Bullseye EX Comiquette
-Scarlet Witch Comiquette (EX if lucky)
-Cyclops EX PF
-Rogue EX PF
-Bucky Barnes as Cap EX PF

The problem with Detolf is the cleaning and the height. With the all glass casing, I find it tough for maintenance (in terms of lots of cleaning). For the height, I find that space above the Detolf is wasted (unless you have shelves above it).

That's my take.

I've never been a fan of the Detolf cases for displaying statues. They're great for displaying 1/6 figures. ...not soo much for 1/4 scale statues.

I don't know how much room you have, but i'd much rather see you go for the IKEA BESTA units for your PFs. you can fit muliple PF's - Comiquettes on one shelf, which would look great especially with your growing XMEN and Spiderman Collection. Certain pieces in your collection are companion pieces and should be displayed together, on the same shelf. Wolverine & Sabretooth (for example) If you display them with Detolf cases, the will be seperated by cases or one will be on the top shelf and the other will be shafted on the bottom.

IMO if you are collecting the larger scale statues, you need a larger shelving system to properly display them. I do not collect PFs-Comiquettes, but if i did, i would display them with BESTAS.

Here's an example of PF's in BESTAS: ... these pics are NOT mine.
p1010678-b84030.jpg

Here's an example of PF's in Detolfs:
notice how the collector upgraded to THICKER glass shelves to safely support the PF's weight.
0041600x1200-1.jpg

I know you didn't ask about the pieces you PO'd, but I would recommend if you are ordering Hulk and like it, to drop Colossus or Bullseye and pick up Hulkbuster Iron-Man EX while you still can.

Just my 2 cents

I've never been a fan of the Detolf cases for displaying statues. They're great for displaying 1/6 figures. ...not soo much for 1/4 scale statues.

I don't know how much room you have, but i'd much rather see you go for the IKEA BESTA units for your PFs. you can fit muliple PF's - Comiquettes on one shelf, which would look great especially with your growing XMEN and Spiderman Collection. Certain pieces in your collection are companion pieces and should be displayed together, on the same shelf. Wolverine & Sabretooth (for example) If you display them with Detolf cases, the will be seperated by cases or one will be on the top shelf and the other will be shafted on the bottom.

IMO if you are collecting the larger scale statues, you need a larger shelving system to properly display them. I do not collect PFs-Comiquettes, but if i did, i would display them with BESTAS.

I agree wholeheartedly with Bezzerkerr. I started off with the Detolfs, but the amount of wasted space really bothered me. Switched primarily to Besta and I am much happier. I still have a couple of Detolfs, but at some point they will be swapped out for more Besta.

thanks for the tips! I bought 4 Detolf cases and they filled up pretty quickly displaying my Marvel Select and Legends. I will be going to Ikea to check out the Besta. Has anyone ever had a custom made podium? I think the Hulk Comiquette is statuesque... and a thing of beauty I want to make it a showpiece kinda like how it was displayed at comic con.

EDIT That Venom Comiquette is a thing of beauty. I really wish I had ordered it....

I agree that detolfs are better reserved for figures (thats where I have my 1/6 scale figures/statues). The few PF's I have are on Expedit sofa/coffee tables. (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80147729) I find they display the PF's/Com's nicely when the table is placed against a wall. However, you must have shelves installed above the Expedits in order to make use of the left over wall space. Otherwise go with the Bestas.

Not the best pic for a comparison, but I'm not at home right now to take a good pic.
DSC00810.jpg

Billy bookcases with Glass doors also work really well for most PF's \Comm's but with bases like the new Gmabit PF or Brooks Scarlet witch they don't work, the bases are too round\wide.

Billy's work great for pieces like BIB Spidey\ any AH! release\ Punisher Comm, Elektra comm.....pieces with bases comparable to those, but for the big pieces Besta's are the way to go!!

Here's an example of PF's in BESTAS: ... these pics are NOT mine.
p1010678-b84030.jpg

Here's an example of PF's in Detolfs:
notice how the collector upgraded to THICKER glass shelves to safely support the PF's weight.
0041600x1200-1.jpg

Just becareful those detolfs are altered.. look at the glass thickness of what this guy is using. He upgraded the glass on the shelves

Watch out for those detolfs. It isn't the glass you have to worry about, it's the (sometimes) cheap welding jobs on the metal tubing.

This is a really good thread. I was curious about some new units too. Currently, I have 3 Detolf's which are filled with all of my 1/6 scale CS Moore statues, and they fit perfectly. However, I also have 5 of the Marvel Sideshow female comiquette's (and a lot more Sideshow to come). Can someone take pictures of the Besta units they are talking about?? Currently my larger Sideshow females are sitting on a dresser in the 2nd bedroom/statue room. I am looking to get another unit for more comiquette's and PF's and would love to know exactly which unit works the best.

I know you didn't ask about the pieces you PO'd, but I would recommend if you are ordering Hulk and like it, to drop Colossus or Bullseye and pick up Hulkbuster Iron-Man EX while you still can.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the tip... I guess Ill skip on Bullseye... i dont know too much about the character. I love the Hulkbuster Ironman though... I just gotta pay off my visa and get Scarlet Witch first.

As a character- Bullseye is waaaaaay cooler than Stark. As a statue, maybe not so much (though I do like the SSC bullseye better than the H-buster personally).

Watch out for those detolfs. It isn't the glass you have to worry about, it's the (sometimes) cheap welding jobs on the metal tubing.

:exactly:Thats my biggest fear in display cases. The weight of the statues combined with the weight of the thicker glass being too much for the shelf supports to handle.

Back