Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd definitely buy a Crown Frodo. He's the most important character of the trilogy, so he deserves top shelf treatment.

But what would he need to come with to make him worth $350? My suggestion would be a two-pack (two full figures) - FotR Frodo (maybe with his blue shirt and suspenders?) and RotK Frodo (maybe with Orc armor?) For me, rooted hair would be nice, but with short-haired characters, I'm fine with sculpted (if the hair sculpt is done well).

For me, before they revisit any hobbits in a Crown capacity, I'd REALLY like to see a Merry & Pippin 2.0. They've come leaps and bounds in their final products since they were released, and I think the current Merry and Pippin are two of the weaker ones in their now phenomenal line. I adore Merry and Pippin, but was so disappointed with the final product that I couldn't get them. Their current Frodo is really good, IMO, and their Sam is pretty good. Merry and Pippin should have the bar raised to at least meet that, to me!

For me, before they revisit any hobbits in a Crown capacity, I'd REALLY like to see a Merry & Pippin 2.0. They've come leaps and bounds in their final products since they were released, and I think the current Merry and Pippin are two of the weaker ones in their now phenomenal line. I adore Merry and Pippin, but was so disappointed with the final product that I couldn't get them. Their current Frodo is really good, IMO, and their Sam is pretty good. Merry and Pippin should have the bar raised to at least meet that, to me!

They only need 2 good, rooted-haired head sculpts to be perfect. Not material for a Crown Line entry. Asmus should definitely contact one of those HT-grade sculptors from South Korea, and use them to get some good sculpts.
RfC
m.

Yeah, Merry and Pippin could use an upgrade (preferably armored versions), but I can't see them getting the Crown treatment. (Frodo, yes. Sam, maaayybe.) But I can't see a strong enough demand being there for M&P to make that financially viable for Asmus. Heck, if memory serves, they've said in the past that they probably wouldn't revisit them for any further standard releases because demand wasn't there, let alone Crown versions.

Yeah, Merry and Pippin could use an upgrade (preferably armored versions), but I can't see them getting the Crown treatment. (Frodo, yes. Sam, maaayybe.) But I can't see a strong enough demand being there for M&P to make that financially viable for Asmus. Heck, if memory serves, they've said in the past that they probably wouldn't revisit them for any further standard releases because demand wasn't there, let alone Crown versions.

I personally think they probably didn’t sell well because they’re the weakest links in the line in terms of quality. I’m sure there are a lot of people like me that would have enthusiastically purchased them if they measured up to the other ones! They really should revisit the sculpts on them, IMO.

I personally think they probably didn’t sell well because they’re the weakest links in the line in terms of quality. I’m sure there are a lot of people like me that would have enthusiastically purchased them if they measured up to the other ones! They really should revisit the sculpts on them, IMO.

Oh, I agree. I'm not sure they'd be eager to do it, but I'd certainly be game for them taking another whack at the pair. (Maybe make them part of a set with a Treebeard statue/base? Like the Legolas Cave Troll base? Maybe Treebeard from the waist up?)

Oh, I agree. I'm not sure they'd be eager to do it, but I'd certainly be game for them taking another whack at the pair. (Maybe make them part of a set with a Treebeard statue/base? Like the Legolas Cave Troll base? Maybe Treebeard from the waist up?)

OMG yesssssss. This would be amazing and such a cool way for them to keep up the diorama bases, which I think is really popular and sorely underused by most companies. Asmus does really well with it when they do it!

Making Merry & Pippin a "set" to begin with would be a good way to start 2.0 versions.

I’d absolutely buy a set, and I think a lot of people would!

There won't be any revisions of any hobbit as long as they still have the older versions in stock... That is going to be a very, very long time, but depletion will eventually happen as new fans kick in. When/if they eventually sell out, a limited Crown Line entry might sell well for those who want the best of the best. Many people would also buy the rooted hair heads only, if made available.

RfC
Thanks,
m.

There won't be any revisions of any hobbit as long as they still have the older versions in stock... That is going to be a very, very long time, but depletion will eventually happen as new fans kick in. When/if they eventually sell out, a limited Crown Line entry might sell well for those who want the best of the best. Many people would also buy the rooted hair heads only, if made available.

RfC
Thanks,
m.

I wonder if the older versions of Merry and Pippin would sell if they redid head sculpts - they could then offer those for sale for folks that already have the figures. I’d be down to buy them if the head sculpts got swapped; they don’t even need full figure reissues IMO.

Weta’s Treebeard, Merry and Pippin sold out super fast. I think the characters are definitely loved, and when done right, I think they sell.

Well, the kind of already did that once with the 2.0 heads - to mixed reviews. While I'd be up for some kind of re-do, I'm guessing Asmus is going to let those two characters sit a while before considering a revisit.

Unfortunately I felt Merry, Pippen, and Sam were so poorly done I decided to pass on all the Hobbits from LOTR including Frodo.

I do have Bilbo however and think he is an amazing little figure. If the other Hobbits were done to the level they achieved on Bilbo I would definitely have them in my collection.

Updated hobbit heads with improved sculpts and rooted hair would be fantastic. I don't think the outfits need to be redone, especially if there is still stock remaining. However if the armors were released I'd definitely pick them up.

The only characters I think need the Crown treatment are Legolas and Black Gate/King Aragorn.

What's the outlook for the following in the next year?
Gollum/Smeagol
Lurtz
Sauron
Faramir
Eowyn (gown)
Arwen (queen)
Denethor
Theoden (possessed+throne)
Grima Wormtongue
Battle Troll(s)

My must-haves are the following:

Gollum/Smeagol
Lurtz
Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm version)
Eowyn 2.0 (Shieldmaiden or an updated Dernhelm version.)
Galadriel
TreeBeard
Faramir
Elrond
Grima Wormtongue

And how about some generic figures:
Moria Goblin
Gondorian Soldier
Rohirrim
Easterling
Mahud

There are quite a lot of LOTR figures I'd be interested in a 2.0 of, I didn't jump on the Asmus train until quite late in the line (but I'm here to stay! :lol )
I'm going to pick up a Gimli soon I think, so an updated Aragorn and Legolas would be top of the list.
Also updated versions of pretty much all the villains would ruin me financially but it would be worth it....

upcoming must haves:
Crown series Gandalf (pre-ordered)
Galadriel
Slim Mouth of Sauron (is he officially coming?)
that Theoden is REALLY tempting....

unannounced must haves are:
Sauron
Thranduil in his DOS throne-room berry-crown look (with his throne is the dream! - I would also LOVE if Asmus did his elk)
Lurtz
Treebeard (i'd be pretty tempted to get an updated Pippin and Merry to go with him)
Elrond - i prefer his Council of Elrond look

But if i'm being honest with myself I will probably be tempted by whatever Asmus put out in this line!

I thought i would copy this post from the 1/6 Azog? thread here
Just some thoughts on the possibilities for Asmus 1/6 trolls.

1/6 trolls seem like a good idea, if done right. The Moria cave troll would be tempting, but the armoured troll that fights Aragorn at the Black Gates would be far more interesting to me. Perhaps if they sold a troll body with multiple heads and armour they would sell better (I know I would definitely buy one) that way with one figure you could pose either a cave troll, attack troll from ROTK or the Black Gate troll.

View attachment 463861
View attachment 463862
View attachment 463863

Or Asmus could release a generic troll body (i.e Moria Cave troll) and then follow this release with "Accessory packs" which include the armour and different heads for each of the troll looks?

That way they encourage buyers to buy more than one troll body if they want to display multiple types of troll at one time, appeal to buyers who would only want to buy one troll but are interested in switching up the looks and this might even appeal to buyers who are on the fence about owning a troll but like the customization possibilities.

Asmus could also this way extend the troll brand to the MANY troll types from the Battle of the Five Armies
View attachment 463864
View attachment 463865
View attachment 463866

I think if Asmus went with a plan like this it would mitigate the risk they would take in making a troll figure while appealing to as many people as possible.

What do you guys think?

When will you re-release the Witch-King? And when will you make an Uruk Hai Swordsman, or even better, an Uruk Hai commander! Only thing we have atm are a few busts, dioramas and statues depicting uruk soldiers. :pray:

Back