Question: When does a "collection" become "clutter"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DouglasMcc said:
Actually, and I doubt you believe me, but I had someone else in mind with EvF comment. You are so over the top with your hate and bile Evil ... as is evident by your choice of names, as well as, your posts ... you have long since passed the point of contempt and hatred and entered the land of satire and caricature. In fact, I would describe you as the Rocky Horror Picture Show of hatred :emperor

- j/k
Sorry couldn't resist. But as for your question, if you feel it is cluttered, sure share your opinion. It doesn't matter because it's not your house, but you are entitled to your opinion. But when you turn that opinion around to insult the person by using derisive terminology and insulting his ability to date, etc., then yes, it DOES make you an a##hole.

Full of Hate and Bile??? I just call em as I see em. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl If someone leaves themself open for a joke, someone has to make it. :lol You should not go through live so high strung on the interwebnets.

I made a opinion about pictures on a open public forum. Sorry they didn't agree with your all mighty one with the final say on everything.

Go to the kitchen and get a ice old Pepsi, you'll be ok.

EVILFACE said:
Full of Hate and Bile??? I just call em as I see em. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl If someone leaves themself open for a joke, someone has to make it. :lol You should not go through live so high strung on the interwebnets.

I made a opinion about pictures on a open public forum. Sorry they didn't agree with your all mighty one with the final say on everything.

Go to the kitchen and get a ice old Pepsi, you'll be ok.

Actually, the tone of my comments, along with the j/k label - which I was under the assumption EVERYONE knew meant joke - should have been a dead give away. Maybe you need a Pepsi more than I do. What's your PayPal account? I will send you a 1.45 so you can buy a 20oz. and chill out yourself :lol

P.S. And damn, I would have never imagined someone who self-anoints themselves "Insuffrable S.O.B." would have such thin skin in these matters.

Brent72 said:
You lucky bastard. How did you get acquainted with him and how many times have you been to Rancho Obi-Wan? :cool:
Oh, I've been friends with Steve for years now. We go way back into the "dark days of fandom" (1985-1991) and had several mutual friends within the collecting community.

I guess I have been to Rancho Obi-Wan maybe 3-4 times. Whenever I'm in the area and we both have the time I make it a point to visit Steve. It's amazing how much his museum changes in just a matter of weeks or months. And not just because of new/accumulated items. He's always rearranging things and swapping out displays (particularly in his art gallery).

My favorite visit was when I took my then wife and the kids a couple of years ago. They were blown away. I still remember the look on Donovan's face (he was just 2) when he saw Steve's lifesize Darth Vader. That's what it's all about. :rock

Very cool, Irish. I've seen a couple of different shows do tours of his collection and it just completely blows me away. I would love to see that place in person and be able to soak it all in. :cool:

We all have thresholds on what we judge to be acceptable and not. This person obviously has very high thresholds compared to the majority of opinions expressed here.

But come on now, this is THEIR place and it is absolutely spotlessly clean. I congratulate the person on keeping such a large collection they obviously love and care for.

As for their personal life outside collecting, what the heck has that got to do with us?

I would much rather have a few high end pieces than walls of figures that cost $6.99. But if he enjoys them, I guess that's what matters. Why should he collect according to my tastes?

However, I will say that having a large amount of collectibles around doesn't necessarily imply a lack of romance. I have tons of Star Wars and LOTR stuff and yet my wife keeps me suitably dehydrated.

you guys are gay, dont insult each other if you dont mean it :rotfl

KitFisto said:
I said it's his right to do as he pleases, but I think he's got some issues to allow his place to be TOTALLY taken over like that.

How many rooms in your house don't have colletibles? :monkey3

I think this guy's collection is huge, it's quite impressive, but not something I would want taking up so much of my personal space.

Like others have said I have my own collecting room for this stuff and a few bits and pieces on the bookshelf in my bedroom.

To me clutter would be when I had so much stuff it was beyond the capacity of the room and started taking over the house. Of course that's just my opinion of what clutter is and not everyone will agree with me on that score.

I think it's down to your own personal way of managing your own personal space and that's a decision for the individual.

I notice alot of people are talking about $6.99 mass market figures in a bad way though, surely not a touch of toy snobbery:lol

At the end of the day if it's an SSC's PF at $300.00 or a Hasbro figure at $6.99 it's still SW stuff and I thought that's what collecting was all about, having items to reflect your love of a franchise, not "ooh look at all that mass market crap, his toys aren't as nice as my toys":rotfl

That's very childish:rolleyes:

This is a good case of quantity over quality. I am glad I went away from that thinking a long time ago or my toy room might look like that as well.

Right now my collection is essentially clutter. I moved back in December right before Christmas and got rid of a lot of shelving(I ended up with more floor space but far less ceiling), so I had to pick and choose what got displayed and what didn't. I have a mess of boxes sitting out (my TF collection) and getting in the way with more in the closet. I have a bunch of my 'essential' Transformers displayed (MP Prime, Starscream, Megs) but many are in the original packaging (something I hate to do as it makes me feel like a bigger dork for even having the original box) and the only non-TF stuff on display are my Sideshow figs (SW, LOTR and Whedon), and even room for them is running low...
time to get new shelving, I guess. Wish I had pics to show off my mess :D

Shai Hulud said:
One thing for sure, this guy is definitely single....

Check his single bed...Do you think a woman ever slept there... thats kinda sad and pathetic....

bedroom6446585285.jpg

Definately would'nt want to be turnin' a black light on near that bed.....

Stay away from slave Leia! His stuff is MOMC w/DNA! :rotfl

Back