Question: When does a "collection" become "clutter"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy missed the living with your collection things at CIV. It was funny they showed some pics like this.

I still have my old Star Wars sheets, just not on my bed anymore they are in a box at my parents.

All yall hatin! You know why dude has a single? Cause he finishes em off before they leave his car (w/ 'my other transport is the millennium falcon' bumper sticker) than makes em' walk home. Dudes cool, don't hate.

IrishJedi said:
Now, I don't begrudge this fellow for his passion AT ALL. He's a dedicated collector and that's his right. But, whoa...

...Seriously, after looking at all of those pics I couldn't help but start questioning this hobby of ours.
Looking at my collection, it does not look cluttered at all, this guy it seems will buy ANYTHING branded with the Star Wars name as well as tons of other collectibles. I really need to show these pics to my wife to show her that my stuff is not cluttered.

That's just pathetic IMO. First of all "clutter" isn't even the word for that mess. Second of all the sad thing is that 99% of that stuff is $5 toys.

it's his right to own what he wants and to turn his place into what he likes, but it's also my right to say that guy has gone WAY overboard and ain't had ***** since ***** had him.

I am no "good looking" guy, but I carry myself like a pimp and I can say that even if this guy did too and got women to go out with him, he'd never get anywhere once they got back to his place.

KitFisto said:
I am no "good looking" guy, but I carry myself like a pimp and I can say that even if this guy did too and got women to go out with him, he'd never get anywhere once they got back to his place.

it's because if they DID go to his place, the following must be considered:

If she's not 'cool' by our standards, she's out the door.
If she's cool by our standards, she'd like to touch them, and he would not let her.

Same as above, but change to 'take them out of the boxes'

Finally... if they DID get back to that place... there's not much room for anything else w/o Chewie watching.

This is what Josh's apartment will look like when mom kicks him out :lol

I KID!!! :monkey3

It is clutter when there is too much to look at.

If you have 100 Star Wars figures pinned to each wall, WTF cares which figures they are.

An no, the owner prolly has never had the poosay offered to him.

Yep, the problem isn't with SW or collecting in itself - it's just the depraved impression one gets from entering that materialistic manifestation of hell! His mind is probably just as cluttered, since after all, ones personal space is a reflection of themselves.

Presentation is everything. I always enjoy seeing collections that strive for a minimalist museum look, where you can see the love that goes into displaying each piece. Clutter = headaches! :monkey4

That's out of control man.

If he's happy with all that stuff, hey that's great, but the way I see it if you've got that much stuff and it takes over every aspect of your life, you're just filling up an empty hole with objects; something's missing.

Even the one picture frame hanging on his wall seems to have pictures of the Buffy cast in it and not photos of friends or family.

"The things you own end up owning you" - Tyler Durden

Amanaman said:
Presentation is everything. I always enjoy seeing collections that strive for a minimalist museum look, where you can see the love that goes into displaying each piece. Clutter = headaches! :monkey4

I agree. When you get too many action figures in one place it looks like every body is waiting for a bus or something. It's much better to have a couple of figures in a specific pose then have the complete line standing shoulder to shoulder.

Amanaman said:
100% agreed. That's exactly my reaction as well. I literally get headaches looking at collections like that.

And, again, nothing personal against that guy. But there is a point where you stop owning your collection and it starts owning you... and I think he crossed that line a long time ago.

I've been to Sansweet's place several times. As most of you know, the guy has the single largest private SW collection in the world. However, to his credit he does everything he can to prevent it from looking even remotely cluttered like that. Indeed, it's more like a true museum.

Now I know some folks might point out that a lack of space might dictate the amount of "Collection Clutter", but imho you should never let STUFF get out of hand like that. I believe that if he had a place 3-4 times as big that this guy would still fill up every room with toys. I mean, there are toys in the BATHROOM and Buffy figures lining the walls of the kitchen!! :confused:

I feel for the dude and (no joke) think he might be a candidate for that show "Intervention".

I love having clutter. Me and the wife are tactless weirdos though. The best part is people tell me that every time they come over they discover something new they never noticed (and a lot of the times there's something actually new.) The hardest thing is having conversations, cause people will just stare at a bookcase or wall or something. But we keep it neat too, it's not like my junk is on the kitchen counters, just hanging above!

Is it too much? Yeah, but he it's his place so he can do as he pleases. I personally wouldn't go to that point but that's just me. Take a room or two and turn it into you collection display area but turning your whole house into that may be a bit much.

Back