Question: When does a "collection" become "clutter"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlcmsu said:
Is it too much? Yeah, but he it's his place so he can do as he pleases. I personally wouldn't go to that point but that's just me. Take a room or two and turn it into you collection display area but turning your whole house into that may be a bit much.

I think just dedicating 1 room is weird. Why? The only purpose of said room is to display toys. Nothing else. Just toys/statues.

As where if it's all over your house, each room still serves a dif. purpose (kitchen, bathroom, tv room etc.) and toys and stuff just happen to be all around. But 1 room just for toys and statues, I think THAT is weird. I'd never go in that damn room. Can't watch tv in there, or cook, or take a dump. I mean I could just go in and stare, but that's boring no matter how rocking the collection is (Gruson's is excused from this, he has that Superman 1/4 I covet.)

IrishJedi said:
I've been to Sansweet's place several times.

You lucky bastard. How did you get acquainted with him and how many times have you been to Rancho Obi-Wan? :cool:

PosterBoyKelly said:
I think just dedicating 1 room is weird. Why? The only purpose of said room is to display toys. Nothing else. Just toys/statues.

As where if it's all over your house, each room still serves a dif. purpose (kitchen, bathroom, tv room etc.) and toys and stuff just happen to be all around. But 1 room just for toys and statues, I think THAT is weird. I'd never go in that damn room. Can't watch tv in there, or cook, or take a dump. I mean I could just go in and stare, but that's boring no matter how rocking the collection is (Gruson's is excused from this, he has that Superman 1/4 I covet.)

I think Gruson sold that Superman.

PosterBoyKelly said:
...I mean I could just go in and stare, but that's boring no matter how rocking the collection is (Gruson's is excused from this, he has that Superman 1/4 I covet.)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Gru sold the Supes... :monkey2

...as for this collection, whatever pleases someone is their business... I personally wouldn't want to get to that point, and that is unfortunately one of the reasons I had to cut the Star Wars and Marvel Premium Formats, dioramas, etc... just too much stuff was building up and I had to make space!

Edit: oops! too late!

But lets all be truly honest here ... the only reason we come here and insult this person and his collection is:

1.) We are secretly embarrassed by our own collection and love being able to rationalize ... "well, at least I'm not THAT bad."
or
2.) We are subconsciously jealous of some aspect of this persons collection and the only way we can feel better about ourself is to tear down someone else.
or
3.) We are just as#holes who would find any reason to mock and tear someone down to inflate our own self images (of course, this is only a select few, right EvF and DeDa?)

I don't have anywhere near as much stuff as that person. But I still find that collection impressive. Your house is suppose to reflect your personality. If that person loves those properties that much, who the #$@# are any of you to judge him. The fact that the person is posting images on a forum means that he is proud of his collection. Ergo, it's accomplished it purpose. So, move on and find some other way to inflate your self-egos.

P.S. Just using the term "we" above as a courtesy :emperor

P.S.S. And the answer to your question is when the owner feels the collection is cluttered. All other opinions are invalid and useless.

DouglasMcc said:
But lets all be truly honest here ... the only reason we come here and insult this person and his collection is:

1.) We are secretly embarrassed by our own collection and love being able to rationalize ... "well, at least I'm not THAT bad."
or
2.) We are subconsciously jealous of some aspect of this persons collection and the only way we can feel better about ourself is to tear down someone else.
or
3.) We are just as#holes who would find any reason to mock and tear someone down to inflate our own self images (of course, this is only a select few, right EvF and DeDa?)

I don't have anywhere near as much stuff as that person. But I still find that collection impressive. Your house is suppose to reflect your personality. If that person loves those properties that much, who the #$@# are any of you to judge him. The fact that the person is posting images on a forum means that he is proud of his collection. Ergo, it's accomplished it purpose. So, move on and find some other way to inflate your self-egos.

P.S. Just using the term "we" above as a courtesy :emperor

P.S.S. And the answer to your question is when the owner feels the collection is cluttered. All other opinions are invalid and useless.
I pretty much agree with what you said. We all have our "things."

KitFisto said:
That's just pathetic IMO. First of all "clutter" isn't even the word for that mess. Second of all the sad thing is that 99% of that stuff is $5 toys.

it's his right to own what he wants and to turn his place into what he likes, but it's also my right to say that guy has gone WAY overboard and ain't had ***** since ***** had him.

I am no "good looking" guy, but I carry myself like a pimp and I can say that even if this guy did too and got women to go out with him, he'd never get anywhere once they got back to his place.

Yeah, because I am sure that women and non-collectors can tell the difference between a 5 dollar Hasbro toy and a 60 to 100 dollar "collector's item." You can fill you house full of 2000 dollar Cinematiques and MR collectibles, and all the non-collectors are going to say is, "wow, those are the most realistic TOYS I have ever seen." And if you believe differently, you are deluding yourself.

Sorry, I didn't want to insult anyone, but anyone who uses phrases like "but I carry myself like a pimp" probably hasn't gotten any himself since that phrase was in style ... like back in the mid-90s right?

At no point can you judge an individual's personality, looks, and charisma by their taste in collectibles. One of my best friends is a strict Star Wars collector ... but he has more stuff than you could ever imagine. Hell, when I helped him move to Raleigh, he had 2 Rent-a-trailers and 1 and 1/2 of them were dedicated to his collectibles. But, he does just find for himself. In fact, I got a wedding invitation a few weeks back. So, judge a person by their people skills (which you CAN'T based on pictures of their house).

DouglasMcc said:
Sorry, I didn't want to insult anyone, but anyone who uses phrases like "but I carry myself like a pimp" probably hasn't gotten any himself since that phrase was in style ... like back in the mid-90s right?

Well, I did have a live in fiance up until I kicked her out a few months ago so I'd say your obviously wrong about that. And as for what's "in" to say. I could care less since I don't sit at Starbucks trying to act cool and "fit in".

I said it's his right to do as he pleases, but I think he's got some issues to allow his place to be TOTALLY taken over like that.

And last, I would expect even a non collector to look at my T-850 CM and see major difference in that and a Hasbro 3 3/4 inch figure.

I think that this, just as anything, can be taken too far. But it all comes down to personal boundaries. We all set them, we know how far we can let it go... This guy has none, but that doesn't make it bad.

I personally would not let it get so bad, but that's me. When things overgrow my boundary, I either box it up or sell. That's why I don't have a lot of remorse for selling Jabba. No space.... no Jabba.

We all need boundaries.

Man, I wish my stuff was HALF that organized!

DouglasMcc said it well and I support what he said.

...glass houses, boys...

DouglasMcc said:

or
or

Well damn, since I've been singled out :lol

1. My collection does not embarrass me.
2. I don't envy someone that has a large toy collection. (well unless he has a 70 Baldwin Motion Camaro in the middle of it)
3. It is being an ******* to point out someone's collection looks like clutter and every square inch of your household is covered with toys?
4. The guy/girl posted pics of this collection online in a discussion forum so he obviously wanted people to talk about.

"Yeah, most people feel anxious, panicked, overwhelmed, etc, or just plane freaked out, when seeing it, in person, for the first time. (or second time, or third time, etc. )

But, honestly, I don't care, I'm the one that has to live here, and I really don't care if anyone else likes it, or not. As for why I posted the pics, well, I've been here for years, and have posted almost no pics of any of my stuff, so I thought it was about time that people see that I do collect a bit."

- jason1976

I actually took the time to read all the posts after the pics. I think this post by the actual collector sums everything up nicely. It's his place, he's happy with it. He felt the need to share with the community he loves and has grown close to over the years (the forum in general). And the sad thing is there are just as many a$$holes there as here (in fact, a few of the names look strangely familiar). He comes off as a nice, friendly person, despite all the attacks. Damn, why does mankind continue to prove the doom sayers right? No matter how advanced we get, no matter how many fancy toys we invent, our basic nature is always going to be reverting back to our simian nature and throwing ***** at each other ... sigh, now that's what is truly sad :monkey2

I don't think anyone said he does not have the right to do as he pleases with his place. However, you have to expect comments to be made when you open yourself up by posting pics of your collection.

Some people will love it. Some people won't. If you don't want to hear any negative then say that upfront that you only want praise and please don't pick on me if you don't like it.

Maybe my comments about him not getting laid in that place were a little harsh, but I honestly do find it hard to belive many women would go there and find themselves in the the mood after seeing EVERY corner of a guys house totally filled with toys. it's just my opinion. I didn't say it's 100% fact. It's just how I feel.

EVILFACE said:
Well damn, since I've been singled out :lol

1. My collection does not embarrass me.
2. I don't envy someone that has a large toy collection. (well unless he has a 70 Baldwin Motion Camaro in the middle of it)
3. It is being an ******* to point out someone's collection looks like clutter and every square inch of your household is covered with toys?
4. The guy/girl posted pics of this collection online in a discussion forum so he obviously wanted people to talk about.

Actually, and I doubt you believe me, but I had someone else in mind with EvF comment. You are so over the top with your hate and bile Evil ... as is evident by your choice of names, as well as, your posts ... you have long since passed the point of contempt and hatred and entered the land of satire and caricature. In fact, I would describe you as the Rocky Horror Picture Show of hatred :emperor

- j/k
Sorry couldn't resist. But as for your question, if you feel it is cluttered, sure share your opinion. It doesn't matter because it's not your house, but you are entitled to your opinion. But when you turn that opinion around to insult the person by using derisive terminology and insulting his ability to date, etc., then yes, it DOES make you an a##hole.

I had alot of stuff like the link OP put up. I walked into my room one day and said wow this looks like crap. I sold everything I had. Now all I have is 7 pfs and all the ss 12 inchers. I'm more happy.:chew

Back