Question: Any chance of SS diving more into the vehicle line of Star Wars?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BountyFett

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed in the past or if this is a topic that everyone knows the answer to but I have been somewhat curious as to why they don't focus more on the vehicles? After what Master Replicas did with the line I'd be really curious to see SS take a few shots. Of course I ask this after starring at my biker scout on speeder bike that always puts a smile on my face, and after taking a quick peak on ebay as to the going prices for the Master Replicas stuff (which quickly eliminates the smile on my face). Any insight or thoughts on this would definitely be of interest to me. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the reason is. But one thing is fore sure: Sideshow has specialized in making characters and statues. Creating models and vehicle/prop replicas is an entirely different thing. The amount of details and especially research that needs to be put into the development process is overwhelming. They'd need to hire a new staff entirely - people who for years have researched and studied the various props and models used in the films.

The audience of these pieces is ruthless, and they also know what they are talking about. So it's a very challenging market to delve into.

There's also the issue of quality control that seems to offer SSC some problems, recently.

So, the real question is: Do we really want Sideshow to make prop models/replicas?

This video might offer some food for thought on this exact matter. :)

We had a few companies who made studio scales like Icons and then Master Replicas, their void is replaced now by eFX Collectibles. Code 3 made some cool scaled ships and vehicles, and even Gentle Giant made a couple vehicle statues. QMX made some cool ships from Serenity, Star Trek, SG-1 etc., but no Star Wars ships yet (just a few key-chains) - some collectors hope QMX might get the license once owned by Code 3.

Sideshow is a company which makes statues and figures, and not props or studio scales. These are two different things, and this also means they don't have the capacity to do these props/studio scales as they are requested by the smaller market of prop collectors. Prop collectors are not happy with a generic approach to a prop, helmet, studio scale vehicle or ship, they need it to the as accurate as possible, Sideshow is not too good at that, sorry. That also means longer time, more money and a different approach to do the research on that particular ship or vehicle.

In the end if you want good ships and vehicles you need to save for the MR, Code 3, eFX or fan made versions.

Hey guys, I appreciate the input and definitely see some validity in what you both have said. I'm also pretty pumped to see a finished product of that Y-Wing at comic con this year! Great video DarthChrisDK! I suppose in the meantime I'll just have to save my $$$ for a few of the Master Replicas pieces while eFx continues their work.

Hey guys, I appreciate the input and definitely see some validity in what you both have said. I'm also pretty pumped to see a finished product of that Y-Wing at comic con this year! Great video DarthChrisDK! I suppose in the meantime I'll just have to save my $$$ for a few of the Master Replicas pieces while eFx continues their work.

I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing that Y-Wing done this year. The designer behind it has said it's gonna take 2+ years before it even goes up for sale, so I doubt it's completed at SDCC. However, I'm betting when it is done, it will be a masterpiece. The desinger is the same guy behind the MR Y-Wing and is already working on corrections he didn't get to make on MR version.

save up my pretty pennies for this one.
I can imagine the price on the MR ywing will take a dive when this ones released.

That is awesome, i did not know that they were doing this. Love the attention to detail. I hope to pick this up whenever it is up for order.

Back