Question About Detolf Displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at my office thread - first page has a number of photos.

The 15x30 Akurum upper cabinet is the best suited. Then the sides are covered with side panels from any of IKEA's departments - a number are available in the Kitchen line such as Nexus panels. You should check the AS-IS clearance section as this is a great way to buy panels at a big discount.

You can put the Akurum on short legs to make it even taller if you have tap ceilings or you can cut down its sides and build it shorter like I did. So instead of using 15x30" doors, I used 15x24" doors - I took 4" off the cabinet and left a 3" space under the doors as a recessed kick area - just like kitchen cabinets normally look.

The cabinets are easy to build, lots of options for parts and they're strong. Make sure to attach the cabinet to the bottom of the Detolf from underneath with some screws.

wow, that is very detailed. I saw the other thread and it looks amazing. I can see what you did there and understood the steps clearly. However, I was looking for something I could just walk in and buy off the shelf, then plonk the detolf on top of it. Jobs done.

I dont have any tools with me to go about building cabinets. Wanted the easiest option. I looked at filing cabients as well from ikea and they were either too wide or too deep. I was hoping something near the dimensions to the detolf. All those are long gone from their stock.

Much appreciated for your time and effort in explaining to me. I have this thread subscribed now, hopefully one day another option arises. Thank Pixelpiper.

Off the top of my head the closest in dimensions that I've seen recently would the the Lack side table when placed sideways. We'd just discussed it within the past couple of weeks.

Off the top of my head the closest in dimensions that I've seen recently would the the Lack side table when placed sideways. We'd just discussed it within the past couple of weeks.

Yeah I saw that the other day. On its side, the width is about right, but the depth is still too deep. Sticking out and taking up too much floor space. Wish they just bring back the bloody cubes instead. lol

Every time I visit IKEA I look around for something that might work well under a Detolf, so if I see anything new I'll add it to this thread. Also keep an eye out when visiting other stores then, you might find something else to substitute at other stores you may visit for other reasons. Good luck.

Every time I visit IKEA I look around for something that might work well under a Detolf, so if I see anything new I'll add it to this thread. Also keep an eye out when visiting other stores then, you might find something else to substitute at other stores you may visit for other reasons. Good luck.

haha very true. that is what I do when i go out and stroll around. back of my mind is something for my detolfs, but just have no luck. i already have the measurements remembered. the hunt goes on. good luck to us both. nice sharing thoughts with ya. keep this thread alive..lol

Back