Question About Detolf Displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look expensive! How much are they usually?

$650, $1000, $2000, $3000, $5000+ There really isn't a "usually" as these things aren't mass-produced nor sold at retail like consumer products. Just the price range on the very same product can vary considerably. The prices I just mentioned? Those can all be found for different styles and sizes of displays on a single site. And that site is actually one of the ones with better pricing that I recall visiting.

Expect anything like what's in that photo to cost $500+ new if you don't want any rude surprises. ;)

$650, $1000, $2000, $3000, $5000+ There really isn't a usually as these things aren't mass-produced nor sold at retail like consumer products. Just the price range on the very same product can vary considerably. The prices I just mentioned? Those can all be found for different styles and sizes of displays on a single site. And that site is actually one of the ones with better pricing that I recall visiting.

Thanks for the info, pixel.

This is why so many people hack IKEA stuff. They offer amazing prices because of their target market and economy of scale - no one uses as much particle board as IKEA and I expect they're one of the (if not THE) biggest producers of furniture buying wholesale glass too.

Here's some information about the new 2013/2014 Detolf (2 boxes) that replaced the older (1 box) Detolf

Shelves on both old and new are nominal 4mm (3.91-3.92mm)
Doors on both old and new are a nominal 5mm (4.76-4.85mm)
Sides on old are a nominal 5mm (4.75mm) and on the new a nominal 4mm (3.93mm)

Metal ladder rails on old are 6.09mm and on the new 5.77mm

IKEA seems to have moved to different suppliers for the parts in their new Detolf. I don't have any details for country of origin of the old, but the new ones are made in China.

As I'd already built it, I didn't get to measure the back panels, but I expect them to be the same thickness as the sides. Overall the near 1mm reduction on three sides, plus the reduction in steel can account for some decent bill of material and shipping savings especially when you combine it with streamlining other parts (feet and hole-plugs are now the same across all color variations). Overall, in terms of robustness and build quality, the new model is close enough to the old with the most significant difference being a little more propensity for side to side sway. I think it's a good trade-off for a $20 savings (in Canada: $80 old, $60 new).

I strongly recommend that the top of the Detolf absolutely always be anchored to a wall without exception. If you plan to put the Detolf on top of another cabinet to raise it off the ground (highly recommended) then the bottom cabinet should also always be attached to the wall and the bottom of the Detolf attached to that cabinet/stand.

do other people's Detolfs also make a <clunck> noise? Mine do, for some reason. Just every once in a while. They're just standing there, minding their own business, doing nothing out of the ordinary. But they sometimes make that noise.

Changes in temperature causing expansion/contraction. Adjust the screws at the top/bottom holding the cabinet together, they may be too tight.

Changes in temperature causing expansion/contraction. Adjust the screws at the top/bottom holding the cabinet together, they may be too tight.

hm yes, I thought something like that would be it. But I hadn't thought about loosening the screws.

Are detolfs hard to assemble?

And just to make sure, I should secure them to the display wall correct?

Are detolfs hard to assemble?

And just to make sure, I should secure them to the display wall correct?

No not really, once you assemble your first detolf then the rest you can almost do with your eyes closed, I put 4 up in one go once, the last one I timed myself to see how quick I could assemble it. I think It was around the 7 minute mark.

It's interesting to note they've revised the instructions which used to recommend (stupidly) building them upside down and then flipping them over. They still have two mistakes on the new revision though, one tells you to screw the feet using the screws provided into the head of the cap nuts that secure the metal ladder frames instead of into the pre-drilled holes about 1/2" away from them. Doh!

Sorry if I posted in two threads... I just want to to make sure my questions get answer.

So do these require heavy lifting while assembling? I plan on putting these together with my sister and just want to make sure she can handle it. I know IKEA says two people are required, but could I do it myself?

One person can do it themselves, but two is recommended because you have to guide the glass panels into slots/channels. I do them myself, but I can see where some people would find this tricky and prefer someone holding the glass while the other person guides the bottom into the channels.

The only "heavy" lifting is the unopened boxes. Each individual pane of glass inside is obviously a fraction of the overall weight. Once assembled you can slide it into position on most flooring, even carpet.

One person can do it themselves, but two is recommended because you have to guide the glass panels into slots/channels. I do them myself, but I can see where some people would find this tricky and prefer someone holding the glass while the other person guides the bottom into the channels.

The only "heavy" lifting is the unopened boxes. Each individual pane of glass inside is obviously a fraction of the overall weight. Once assembled you can slide it into position on most flooring, even carpet.

Thank you Pixel, I really appreciate the information and insight. I think I will have some help. I just want to be safe.

Thanks for your help! :wave

Just thought I would let you UK guys know I went into the Ikea Lakeside this weekend and they had the Detolfs on sale for £30 not sure if its only that store.

hi all, any good cabinets/shelves to raise the detolfs off the floor? seems like all the best options have been replaced or discontinued by ikea.

The met attractive, IMO, has always been Akurum kitchen cabinet upper, with a door and with side panels to match the color of the Detolf panels.

The met attractive, IMO, has always been Akurum kitchen cabinet upper, with a door and with side panels to match the color of the Detolf panels.

Thanks for the quick reply Pixelpiper:) Could you explain to me how to go about with this? Do you know which product number it is on their website? I take it this will fit nicely with the detolf dimensions? I want to raise the ones I have very badly. Raising them up individually. Thanks in advance.

Take a look at my office thread - first page has a number of photos.

The 15x30 Akurum upper cabinet is the best suited. Then the sides are covered with side panels from any of IKEA's departments - a number are available in the Kitchen line such as Nexus panels. You should check the AS-IS clearance section as this is a great way to buy panels at a big discount.

You can put the Akurum on short legs to make it even taller if you have tap ceilings or you can cut down its sides and build it shorter like I did. So instead of using 15x30" doors, I used 15x24" doors - I took 4" off the cabinet and left a 3" space under the doors as a recessed kick area - just like kitchen cabinets normally look.

The cabinets are easy to build, lots of options for parts and they're strong. Make sure to attach the cabinet to the bottom of the Detolf from underneath with some screws.

Back