Quest for the Real Ironman, how to spot a fake for Freaks and Newbs!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Iron Man Ex. Comiquette listed on Ebay by "Victory0369" for $2000 is a recast. I bought it last week with a "Best Offer" of $1250. I asked for actual pictures before I paid. The pictures showed white styrofoam that didn't match anything that I've ever bought from Sideshow. For that "Buy it Now" price I was sure that it was the real thing but I was wrong.

The Iron Man Ex. Comiquette listed on Ebay by "Victory0369" for $2000 is a recast. I bought it last week with a "Best Offer" of $1250. I asked for actual pictures before I paid. The pictures showed white styrofoam that didn't match anything that I've ever bought from Sideshow. For that "Buy it Now" price I was sure that it was the real thing but I was wrong.

Hope you get your money back. I had that ****** buy a wolverine comiquette off of me and try to wheel and deal me after he hit buy it now. Seems like he has another 'recast' iron man ex for sale as well.

Give him a negative feedback and report him to both ebay and sideshow for selling recasts.

Hope you get your money back. I had that ****** buy a wolverine comiquette off of me and try to wheel and deal me after he hit buy it now. Seems like he has another 'recast' iron man ex for sale as well.

Give him a negative feedback and report him to both ebay and sideshow for selling recasts.
Yeah, I got my money back. The one listed on Ebay right now is the same one he sold me last week.

What a terrific seller. I'll be sure to ask him pointless questions.

Edit: Are you sure, because I did see a shipper box behind the IM with a red X on it. He also has a crap load of other statues that he's selling.

I heard that there are fake SS stealth Iron Man from the Asia.

Here are the link from the froum - https://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60423&pid=1243282&st=90&#entry1243282

It getting Scary these days they even have fake Stealth Iron Man now.

PICT0930.jpg

:lol:lol:lol

Note to recaster scum, lose the "shipper" box describing working light fungtion.

But seriously, this looks like a legit piece to me from looking at the pics quickly. I thought on the stealth it did use white foam with the only problem I'm having is I don't remember it being this flakey crap like what looks to be shown in the pics.

PICT0930.jpg

:lol:lol:lol

Note to recaster scum, lose the "shipper" box describing working light fungtion.

But seriously, this looks like a legit piece to me from looking at the pics quickly. I thought on the stealth it did use white foam with the only problem I'm having is I don't remember it being this flakey crap like what looks to be shown in the pics.

It's messed up now that you have to worry about the Stealth, this really makes collecting and buyer from collectors aggravating!!!

Does anyone know if the regular edition Iron Man had YELLOW PAPER lining the styro? I recently bought one, and have never seen any pictures with this yellow paper inside the styro.

Does anyone know if the regular edition Iron Man had YELLOW PAPER lining the styro? I recently bought one, and have never seen any pictures with this yellow paper inside the styro.

I have the Ex but to my knowledge never did the reg or the ex version have yellow lining on the styro. There's the yellow sticker that it's been certified or inspecting by Sideshow. BTW it's a grey styro for the Red/Gold versions and the Stealth is the white styro.

edit: maybe the seller but there own type of paper to protect the paint from rubbing, or was this sealed?

you may also want to post a picture of the yellow paper so the forum can see exactly what it looks like.

i recently opened mine and took pics of the process, so you may also want to check those pics to see if your packing lines up with mine for the red/yellow exclusive iron man.

OK no clue how to post pics on here.

Here is a link to look at the pics on photobucket.

https://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/Cotasnoova/

Thanks for the help!

That definitely looks like someone went ahead and wrapped it with some yellow tape, but that's not to say that it's not fake or real. Was this sealed or never opened whenever you got it or did the seller state that it had been displayed prior to selling the piece?

It was sealed.

From my point of view it looks real, the peg on the foot looks to be the square footing and it's brass colored.

DSCN0008.jpg

But as it being sealed and never displayed I believe that is false, you might wanna ask Nash a collector here on the Freaks forum he actually bought a regular and he could speak for it having the yellow tape or not. I can only speak for the exclusive and what I've seen for the reg and every reg I've ever viewed none of them had the yellow tape. The base does look legit as well from the coloring and highlighted areas that precede the last footing. It does look good from the pics you posted on photobucket.

DSCN0009.jpg

Thanks for the info. I will ask Nash to see what's up. Didnt even notice Nash was on here, we go back to Rebelscum days lol.

Yo Cotas, mine didnt have the yellow tape thing in the styro. Did you buy it sealed? Perhaps the seller opened it and added the tape to prevent the styro from rubbing the paint...

But there are other ways to check if it is a legit piece. This thread has lots of info, just have to sift through it. https://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=84452&highlight=fake+iron

From what I understand, the real iron man has brass 'square' foot peg, and brass 'rounded' neck pegs.

The red and gold paint is another place to look. compare the paint tones on yours to photos of the real versions. particularly the gold will stand out if it is fake. the real gold paint is much lighter i think.

Also, the left arm is angled straight back instead of outwards. check the photos in the link below to see what im talking about.

Some comparison pics of a fake vs real.
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=75583&page=8

Oh Nash, he has the reg version.

oh. But still, ive never heard of reg vs exclusive having varying packaging. I dont know, I guess it could be possible.

Has there even been recast regular versions? I dont remember any, all of them ive seen or heard about have been the exclusive.

oh. But still, ive never heard of reg vs exclusive having varying packaging. I dont know, I guess it could be possible.

Has there even been recast regular versions? I dont remember any, all of them ive seen or heard about have been the exclusive.

Nah that I've heard of... always just with the exclusive since there was always the big money with that one. I think the seller repackage it with some yellow tape to be honest, so there wouldn't be any paint rubbing. Like u and I have spotted the foot is square brass colored.

Back