Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see other people appreciate Jackie Brown.

I personally think Django, Inglorious, and Kill Bill Vol 2 are his worst films. I enjoyed The Hateful Eight but it certainly wasn’t very good either.

For me Reservoir Dogs was his best film...saw that in the theater and was floored...I will da that I don't hate any of his films...Like Martin Scorcese...some films better than others but none are hated...QT can sure write...just awesome

watched, nothing to inspiring and the usual Samuel character cussing and swearing like a truck driver...:lol you know on the avengers or any marvel related movie he's just itching to start cussing, but he just isn't allowed to do it....:lol

Saw the 70mm version this weekend. Movie was good but left me with no desire to see it again. I will revisit the glorious score through.

For me Reservoir Dogs was his best film...saw that in the theater and was floored...I will da that I don't hate any of his films...Like Martin Scorcese...some films better than others but none are hated...QT can sure write...just awesome
Good comparison with Scorsese there. And of course, he writes better dialogue than just about anyone else out there.

Saw the 70mm version this weekend. Movie was good but left me with no desire to see it again. I will revisit the glorious score through.
Score definitely was a high point.

Watching Pulp Fiction in the theater will always be one of the most edge of my seat "I have NO idea what is going to happen from one scene to the next" experiences in all of cinema.

8C1D6151-0EC1-48CE-853A-E57F293640B8_zpsj54hooms.jpg

If anyone wants to trade programs I have spare Sam Jackson and Walton Goggins programs to trade up. Need the "Daisy" centerfold.

Just bumping this.....Anyone want to trade?

I would give it a 7/10. While it flowed pretty well for a lengthy movie, some of the scenes could have been trimmed. I really liked Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson's roles but SMJ's scene was too much for me personally.

I haven't seen QT's stuff until recently and so I wasn't caught up in the hype surrounding some of his previous work. While I really enjoyed Django and Inglorious Basterds, I think Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are slightly over-rated - moreso Pulp Fiction.

I really enjoyed it... I liked it's touches and inspirations from John Carpenter's The Thing.

I would say it was his 4th best.

Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Jackie Brown
Hateful 8
Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill Vol 2
kill Bill Vol 1
Inglorious Bastards
Death Proof

I really enjoyed it... I liked it's touches and inspirations from John Carpenter's The Thing.

I would say it was his 4th best.

Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Jackie Brown
Hateful 8
Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill Vol 2
kill Bill Vol 1
Inglorious Bastards
Death Proof
Your last two are my favorite two. :lol

I would give it a 7/10. While it flowed pretty well for a lengthy movie, some of the scenes could have been trimmed. I really liked Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson's roles but SMJ's scene was too much for me personally.

I haven't seen QT's stuff until recently and so I wasn't caught up in the hype surrounding some of his previous work. While I really enjoyed Django and Inglorious Basterds, I think Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are slightly over-rated - moreso Pulp Fiction.
In order to fully appreciate Pulp Fiction, maybe you had to be around when it first came out. It was so influential that a whole slew of mediocre knockoffs were made in the '90s. And much of what it did set the stage for all the Tarantino films to follow. It could be that if Django came out in 1994, it would have had the same impact.

Your last two are my favorite two. :lol

I have to watch Bastards again... I am hoping for a Jackie Brown experience. First time I saw JB it was not the movie I thought it was going to be then I saw it a few more times and I love it.... IB may have the same effect...

Death Proof is OK.. I did not like the stunt driver girls and the whole diner conversation... None of it felt Natural or real. Sounded like girls trying to sound like guys and it did not work for me.. Better actresses could have pulled it off I think.

Russel was great though and funny.

I wasn't overly thrilled with this. I love Tarantino's films but I did feel like the writing and dialogue wasn't at the high level of the tension building scenes of Pulp Fiction, Django or Basterds...which are still my three favorite QT films.

The final stretch of Hateful 8 was indeed entertaining and I thought the actors did fabulous as they do in ALL his movies--but I thought it dragged more than I'm used to with his movies. I also kind of wish they weren't so quick to tell you the actual plot. I liked not knowing how the axe was going to drop and who was the one who did it. Once it was all revealed I felt it was a wasted opportunity personally. 6 out of 10 for me because the final 30 mins were typical Tarantino craziness and humorous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just got back from seeing Hateful 8. I loved it. When I first saw the trailer last year I thought it was going to be another typical Tarantino movie in a cabin, kinda shot poorly (don't know why I thought that looking back) with the same old actors doing their stereotypes. Turns out it wasn't like that at all. The whole thing was intense. It felt like the entire second half of the movie was the best of Tarantino (the OD scene from Pulp Fiction, the German bar from Basterds, Calvin Candie's dining room table scene in Django, etc.).

I was on the edge of my seat. I'm glad I didn't spoil anything before I saw it, there was a lot of suspense, I was constantly having moments where I thought I knew what was going to happen, only to be wrong again. The beginning is sort of boring and there were a few times in the first couple of chapters where the pacing felt off to me, but then I realized it was just setting up the stories and conflict. The only thing that annoyed me was characters greeting each other and repeating things, that, we the audience already know. Felt like a waste of two or three minutes with the continuous nailed door gag.

Pay offs were all worth it though, **** was it great. The poison scene upset me (since I loved the actor/character involved), the "dingus" scene had me cracking up (the way it shows the visuals of what he is describing), it ****ing killed me. I was surprised by most of it, great film.

Dunno how I'd rank it with the other Tarantino films. I like them all, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Basterds, etc. When I first saw Django I had mixed feelings about the tone and ending of it. The movie felt cynical and senseless and all the killing kind of bummed me out. After I saw it again, I felt better about it. Hateful 8 is up there with the best of them.

Would have liked to have seen it in 70mm (especially after I heard about the intermissions and freebies), would have supported it and such. Unfortunately the only theater showing it around here was hours away.

Last edited:
It's funny, that I actually enjoyed the first half of the movie much more than the second. I thought the character interactions were pretty great. And I was more let down by the way it all unfolded at the end, even though, of course the insane violence and brutality was trademark Tarantino. I may share Godzilla's point of view that they let the cat out of the bag sooner than they should have, or maybe it was something else. But the payoffs didn't seem as natural as they could have to me. But as I think I posted earlier, one thing this movie did extremely well was building tension and putting the audience on edge.

Back