Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

Designers choose fabric for how the colours ultimate appear on film screen appearance. The colors need to reflect what was captured on film, not the prop. On the modern series it even more complicated because the series went on for so long, the prop departments used numerous dye-lots of each Federation colour.

I think Kirk looks good under the lighting shown, but people remember the shirt as a yellow, not a green. If it looks green under natural light, it sends the wrong image.

Then look at the uniforms at night. To be correct, the avocado color was the color that Roddenberry want to use. But because of the the fabric, lightings, and TV screen, the green never showed. For the same reason, we saw a very "green" wrap around (both of which suppose to be "avocado"). The pain-in-axx Star Trek uniforms fans are more or less settle with the avocado as the official Commanding gold nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

Yeah, Bones is a must. He's probably my favorite Star Trek character at the moment.

The boots are screen accurate which means they wrap around the legs and angles at skin tight level. The picture at Toy Fair was taken by a mobile phone (I assume). At that angle, anything further away from the lens will appear smaller. With the skin tight boots, and the angle of the lens, the boots do look small. But rest assure that at correct level, they look really good, at least to me.
eedb35e995b0a364e1dabc63203b500e.jpg

Note that the uniform color is the official "avocado". It will change colors through out the day. In the morning with direct sunlight, they look "avocado", but at night, they look yellow. And if you put the uniform next to yellow fabric, they look green, while putting against green fabric, they will look yellow. (Similar to teal)

This is the true color of TOS "Commanding Gold", and the fabric used is the miniature of the actual fabric used in season 3.

Yup. That right there is the setup I want with Spock and McCoy standing behind. Nanjin, I cannot wait to get these safely on preorder and eventually in my collection!

the green never showed

That's my point. It never showed. If green did not show on screen, it should not show on the figure.

I feel it possible to choose a command yellow that creates a screen accurate impression under natural light and 2700K (like people overwhelmingly use in their homes, at least in the West).

I read the Star trek uniform forums too, so I appreciate how people there think. I just think they ignore that the prop colour is a means to and end: the screen colour.

I think Anovos has the right idea in selecting colours:
Star Trek: The Original Series - Men's Tunic - Velour Line (PRE-ORDER) | ANOVOS Productions LLC

I will buy Kirk, even with the "avocado" shirt, but I'm still concerned about the "command red" on Picard.

there is SO much drooling going on over here... so... much... I am SO thrilled for Nanjin... and so thrilled for the TOS community who, like me, have been waiting for these figures... for ANY collectibles of this quality... for a VERY long time!!

and now... back to drooling... non stop drooling....

I'll absolutely be picking these up along with every other Trek figure that comes down the pipeline from QMx. Been waiting years. So cool to see this line finally coming together at the quality it deserves. Fantastic job Nanjin, I know how much blood, sweat and tears have gone into it. Would be great to see every company bring this level of passion to projects. Star Trek deserves to have a 1:6 line as prolific as Star Wars. I know the fan bases are different, but t's a constant source of frustration to see hundreds of 1:6 SW figures get to market, and only the occasional Kirk and Spock (and maybe bones). Hopefully QMx will find that customer base and this will all change. Would be great to see them blow out TOS with the bridge crews and iconic aliens, as well as TNG, DS9 and VOY. It's going to come down to sales, which is always the thing that makes me nervous with these lines, so fingers are crossed these will be huge hits and we can see Trek get HT level figures.

That's my point. It never showed. If green did not show on screen, it should not show on the figure.

I feel it possible to choose a command yellow that creates a screen accurate impression under natural light and 2700K (like people overwhelmingly use in their homes, at least in the West).

I read the Star trek uniform forums too, so I appreciate how people there think. I just think they ignore that the prop colour is a means to and end: the screen colour.

I think Anovos has the right idea in selecting colours:
Star Trek: The Original Series - Men's Tunic - Velour Line (PRE-ORDER) | ANOVOS Productions LLC

I will buy Kirk, even with the "avocado" shirt, but I'm still concerned about the "command red" on Picard.

Eh, the Anovos color looks way too yellow to my eye. In the color-corrected TOS blurays the gold color is much more muted than that, and really does seem to have a bit of a greenish or "avocado" hue to it (which is especially apparent in the shadows). And from what I can see Nanjin's color comes really darn close to that.

gfdff.JPGhgkkk.JPG

Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

I'll absolutely be picking these up along with every other Trek figure that comes down the pipeline from QMx. Been waiting years. So cool to see this line finally coming together at the quality it deserves. Fantastic job Nanjin, I know how much blood, sweat and tears have gone into it. Would be great ......VOY. It's going to come down to sales, which is always the thing that makes me nervous with these lines, so fingers are crossed these will be huge hits and we can see Trek get HT level figures.

I like QMx is because we have the same attitude: We approach the projects "as collectors for collectors". Check out their Firefly Mal, they rather lose money than not doing the best they can.

BTW, the following is a comparison picture of A's uniforms and the color chosen for TOS uniforms. "A" saw Picard, and the only comment I received is the pants. I think they were surprised that Picard's TNG uniform is the same color as their 1:1. The issue of "Screen" and "Set " accuracy has been going on for ages in the ST fan communities. Simply put, we have many many different "screen" accuracy because we all have different Picture-Tube TV screens viewed under different lightings; very different from movies and which are viewed under "controlled environments".

Some thing very funny about ST uniforms design. Designers like to use textile tones that varies greatly under different lightings. Only those uniforms that were used in the movies have very little or no controversy.

When viewing the picture, do note that you are looking at a picture with Your own screen paired with Your own graphic-card (or phone or tablet). Also compare with the picture which has the Captain's Chair. This picture was done with 5500k grey card corrected lightings and white balance. They look like two different colors when comparing to the following picture:
WP_20160123_17_34_36_Raw_LI.jpg

Last edited:

there is SO much drooling going on over here... so... much... I am SO thrilled for Nanjin... and so thrilled for the TOS community who, like me, have been waiting for these figures... for ANY collectibles of this quality... for a VERY long time!!

and now... back to drooling... non stop drooling....

:rotfl Same here!

I'll absolutely be picking these up along with every other Trek figure that comes down the pipeline from QMx. Been waiting years. So cool to see this line finally coming together at the quality it deserves. Fantastic job Nanjin, I know how much blood, sweat and tears have gone into it. Would be great to see every company bring this level of passion to projects. Star Trek deserves to have a 1:6 line as prolific as Star Wars. I know the fan bases are different, but t's a constant source of frustration to see hundreds of 1:6 SW figures get to market, and only the occasional Kirk and Spock (and maybe bones). Hopefully QMx will find that customer base and this will all change. Would be great to see them blow out TOS with the bridge crews and iconic aliens, as well as TNG, DS9 and VOY. It's going to come down to sales, which is always the thing that makes me nervous with these lines, so fingers are crossed these will be huge hits and we can see Trek get HT level figures.

:exactly: :goodpost: I know I'm in the minority, and this will be the last thing to ever happen (if ever) but I would flip if I got the chance to own some Voyager figures. Janeway, Chakotay and 7of9 for me! :pray:

What color is the shirt on the cover of this book?

51s7I7rB9SL.jpg

:rotfl Same here!
...if I got the chance to own some Voyager figures. Janeway, Chakotay and 7of9 for me! :pray:

Not just you, me too. I want all the uniforms from all Treks (even Enterprise). I am a Trek geek, I want my 1/6 ST collections to be like a miniature Star Trek costume museum [emoji16]

Yup. That right there is the setup I want with Spock and McCoy standing behind. Nanjin, I cannot wait to get these safely on preorder and eventually in my collection!

Exactly! I sure hope someone will take the reins and produce a captains chair for us.

What color is the shirt on the cover of this book?

View attachment 246195

That question just underscores my point. Do you mean the color of the photograph on my screen or the colour of the actual dustjacket in hand? Because I own that dust jacket and it looks noticeably greener in person than the image on my screen (standard iMac colour calibration).

I would be very disappointed in a Kirk with the green-tinted shirt on that cover, because as davejames just posted, the screen appearance is markedly different:

View attachment 246192 View attachment 246193

Last edited:

I didn't like Anovos' choice for the TNG command red, either. Here is Picard from the HD (bottom, SD top) remasters:

View attachment 246236

Nanjin's 5500K lighting (warm white, as used in most homes, is 2700K):

View attachment 246237

I just want to be clear that I tremendously respect your efforts and passion for Star Trek. I love Star Trek too. I want to just give some constructive criticism that there can be a major disconnect between the prop colour and screen colour. The choice of colour will impact sales and I feel most people will know what they saw on screen, not the more obscure details of uniform entusiasm.

Official QMX photos posted on Toyark.com.

QMX-Star-Trek-Captain-Kirk-and-Spock-1.jpg

QMX-Star-Trek-Captain-Kirk-and-Spock-2.jpg

QMX-Star-Trek-Captain-Kirk-Figure.jpg

QMX-Star-Trek-Spock.jpg

I was 100% committed to picking up Mezco's One:12 Trek figures until I saw these. As much as I want to support Mezco's ground-breaking line, these Quantum Mechanix offerings are a 1/6 collector's dreams come true! The heads here look a little over-sized, but that could be due to some camera lens distortion since this isn't an issue with the prototype figures that were shown at Toy Fair.

With the 50th anniversary of Star Trek this year, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that there would be so much classic TOS stuff competing for our wallets. I can't wait to see what else is in store!

Call me a casual fan, but I place my trust in Nanjin's hands.
If he's happy, then so am I.

Looks great, but I think Spock's skin tone should be lighter.

Back