Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

After receiving both Kirk and Spock, and feeling that this line is a home run and in good hands with QMx I will surely be getting Bones and the rest of the crew.

Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

I'll definitely be getting Bones and Scotty, the other three all hangs on how Sulu turns out. And right now his likeness still needs some work in my opinion.

Having a more detailed look at them, I have a feeling that they might suffer from the same "lumpiness syndrome" (as noted by another poster) that seems to affect Spock. The features seem to be slightly exaggerated or overemphasised, making them look, well, lumpy.
Scotty looks too old, and Bones seems a bit like a caricature...
Anybody else have that feeling?

View attachment 279563

Noticed to the right of Scotty QMX is making Chris Pine - Captain Kirk from possibly Beyond is going to be released. Was Quinto Spock proto at the con?

Having a more detailed look at them, I have a feeling that they might suffer from the same "lumpiness syndrome" (as noted by another poster) that seems to affect Spock. The features seem to be slightly exaggerated or overemphasised, making them look, well, lumpy.

Yeah it definitely seems to be work of the same sculptor, who's overemphasized every little bump and imperfection so much that it inadvertently makes the actors look a lot older than they should on TOS. McCoy doesn't seem to suffer quite as much from this, which is why I'll still be getting him, but I do wish they had stuck with the same sculptor for all of this who did Kirk.

Having Kirk in hand now, I'll say he does not look as rough-hewn as the Spock sculpt. Spock still looks very much like Nimoy in person, it would be a small improvement if the sculpt was a bit smoothed out, but not a big issue when you look at it in hand with natural lighting instead of how he looks in macro photos.
As I said in the main Kirk-Spock thread, I believe Nanjin made the sculpt a little exaggerated to compensate for loss of detail in the resin casting process that didn't happen with QMX's superior production ability.

Noticed to the right of Scotty QMX is making Chris Pine - Captain Kirk from possibly Beyond is going to be released. Was Quinto Spock proto at the con?
Here's the thread with better pictures for the Chris Pine Beyond figure, it was pushed a ways back in the thread discussions:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-1-6-star-trek-beyond-captain-james-kirk.html

Last edited:

Having Kirk in hand now, I'll say he does not look as rough-hewn as the Spock sculpt. Spock still looks very much like Nimoy in person, it would be a small improvement if the sculpt was a bit smoothed out, but not a big issue when you look at it in hand with natural lighting instead of how he looks in macro photos.
As I said in the main Kirk-Spock thread, I believe Nanjin made the sculpt a little exaggerated to compensate for loss of detail in the resin casting process that didn't happen with QMX's superior production ability.

Whatever the case, I hope QMX takes a closer look at those sculpts.

"Damn it Jim!" Any idea of the projected release date for this much anticipated figure?

Jim Maddox did Spock, McCoy and Scotty.

From Jim's FB cover photo:

11214164_10207739934324433_8828054901679126747_n.jpg

Those sculpts look great, so much detail!

"Damn it Jim!" Any idea of the projected release date for this much anticipated figure?

I'm a Doctor, not a calendar! :p

I'm a Doctor, not a calendar! :p

According to one of the QMx reps at SDCC, Bones should be out before the end of the year. However, they were still deciding what to include for the exclusive version. We'll see......

His short sleeve tunic should be included.

His short sleeve tunic should be included.

I agree. We spoke about that. They took into account that the arms may have to be redesigned for aesthetics since they would be bare with the short sleeves. May look awkward with the current body.

According to one of the QMx reps at SDCC, Bones should be out before the end of the year. However, they were still deciding what to include for the exclusive version. We'll see......

Nurse Chapel! :idea

Guardian of Forever! :horror

With the rank braids being so fragile on my Kirk I really don't look forward to messing them up swapping shirts

My QMX Kirk is my first purchase with the company. Does anyone know how their pre-orders work? Will McCoy, Scott, Sulu be released all at the same time or will they stagger them? Thanks

Nurse Chapel! :idea

no no no.... Yeoman Tonia Barrows :love
toniabarrows.jpg

Although, shame on both of us for thinking of female characters as "accessories" :eek:

Back