QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or they were made in quite small runs, and mostly went to longtime fans rather than casual collectors. :)

Khan was a small run. I think the others were decent sized but underestimated the drip drip sales over time. Plus Kirk and Spock are gateway figures to the rest of the line. They may have been hoping to double up on some sales with variants but I think their plan was a bit woolly. Trek sales must pale next to Star wars and maybe they didn't know where the numbers would be.

I'm not sure if sales of McCoy were a bit slow or if Khan (the TOS version is less iconic to the casual buyer) or the chair disappointed them or if the TOS line suffered because they overproduced Picard, whose sales were then affected by the staining issue but they definitely blinked after last Christmas.

They seem to have accepted that TOS has enough legs for the main cast so I'm fairly sure we'll get them even if Chekov is pie in the sky at the moment. TMP Kirk is possible due to the 40th but who knows how possible. An Ilia probe might also be possible (few accessories, simple costume) but they may be reluctant to go there after Khan. I think Kirk, Spock, and Khan from TWOK are likely but Saavik and McCoy are more dubious.

Even with these few, there are enough figures for three years. The pace is not going to pick up that much.

It would be a pity if TWOK never make production.

What an awesome movie. I did notice with aTWOK
McCoy was never made. Wondered if Spock and Kirk
have been the two that fans mostly like ?

TOS Spock was a great figure but not quite as nice as Kirk

Not a happy day for TOS fans if TWOK never get produced

At this point, my guess would be 2020 for TWOK.

So tired of companies half-assing this line (Qmx, Mezco, McFarlane et al). Always Kirk and Spock MAYBE McCoy and the other crew never get made. Star Trek isn't just Kirk and Spock, it's an ensemble cast. Sure, Chekov and Uhura may not sell as well or be exciting to drop $200 on but completists will want them.

Honestly I could live without a TWOK McCoy. For me the must haves from that movie are Kirk, Spock, Khan, and Saavik.

The problem is that if the other characters are
not “ mainstream “ enough for the mass market
They probably will not be made :(

Sulu and Urura are a big risk I think looking as how many Khans
are still available

Last edited:
It's not even that straightforward. The planets have to align and people have to have faith. If too many people hold out for their favourite figures, it makes it less likely those figures will get made. My advice is buy everything and re-releases it in a few years' time if you don't really want it. Blimey, apparently my exclusive Kirk might have doubled in value in just two years. It's worth the gamble. ;-p

I couldn't possibly disagree with that more. Nobody should be asked, or expected, to buy something they don't actually want, or to buy multiples just to 'support the line'. It is not a customer's job to make a line financially viable, particularly at this kind of price point. If the customer base just isn't there, if the character selection is off, or if a company can't manage to balance a line or license properly in order to make it a viable proposition, and thus worth them continuing with, then that's just the way it goes sometimes. Trying to prop up something that can't stand on its own two feet is just throwing good money after bad, and never works out in the long run anyway.

People should only ever buy what they want, what they feel is worth their money, and what they are happy to own. We're (potential) customers and collectors, not investors. Just my view, anyway.

I couldn't possibly disagree with that more. Nobody should be asked, or expected, to buy something they don't actually want, or to buy multiples just to 'support the line'. It is not a customer's job to make a line financially viable, particularly at this kind of price point. If the customer base just isn't there, if the character selection is off, or if a company can't manage to balance a line or license properly in order to make it a viable proposition, and thus worth them continuing with, then that's just the way it goes sometimes. Trying to prop up something that can't stand on its own two feet is just throwing good money after bad, and never works out in the long run anyway.

People should only ever buy what they want, what they feel is worth their money, and what they are happy to own. We're (potential) customers and collectors, not investors. Just my view, anyway.

And that... is why you fail...

Or is it sacrilege to quote Yoda in a Star Trek thread?

You're right of course. I just get fed up of people complaining that it's taking too long to get the one figure the really want. :-D

Well, not quite right. No line can stand 'on its own'. They all require support and that support determines the next release for a variety of reasons. You can adopt a short term or long term strategy for collections.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Pulled it back at the end there!

Today’s peg warmers are tomorrow’s grails, like the fabled GI Joe Nurse or the Kenner Indy Horse, which I actually saw by the dozen in Toys r Us with no Indy in sight. I would just wish that companies would adjust their production based on demand and in the case of QMX, produce a ton of Kirks and Spocks to satisfy the fans and collectors (esp. the many who need to limit purchases to just one or two figures) and produce lesser of the supporting cast...and price them accordingly. Completists, I’m sure would welcome having to pay a little more particularly for the higher likelihood of seeing the less popular characters actually going into production.

Tarkin’s just intimidation and terror, he would‘ve been child’s play in a negotiation with Kirk...

65da3f14df3b6325f85c67d835e31c2d.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

So tired of companies half-assing this line (Qmx, Mezco, McFarlane et al). Always Kirk and Spock MAYBE McCoy and the other crew never get made. Star Trek isn't just Kirk and Spock, it's an ensemble cast. Sure, Chekov and Uhura may not sell as well or be exciting to drop $200 on but completists will want them.

QFT! :lecture

Tarkin’s just intimidation and terror, he would‘ve been child’s play in a negotiation with Kirk...

Man this picture so solidifies to me just how dang good the QMX Kirk is. By all means Tarkin is great but his proportions and just something is lost and artificial in that. Kirk hangs in there super well and looks very natural and anatomically proper. What a testament to QMX, and a shame that the line isn't getting more love. But is that their fault if the audience is weak? Eh. Hard to say.

I think there's 2 types of buyers for TOS figures, those who will limit themselves to the main 3 and those who will buy the entire main cast. The next figure (most likely Scotty) will no doubt see much smaller sales than the first 3, but it's probable that those who pick him up will also pick up the rest of the crew. He should be a fairly good indicator of the kind of sales numbers the remaining members are likely to generate.

I think there's 2 types of buyers for TOS figures, those who will limit themselves to the main 3 and those who will buy the entire main cast. The next figure (most likely Scotty) will no doubt see much smaller sales than the first 3, but it's probable that those who pick him up will also pick up the rest of the crew. He should be a fairly good indicator of the kind of sales numbers the remaining members are likely to generate.
It’s the first group that will make the entire enterprise (pardon the pun!) viable and profitable.

Man this picture so solidifies to me just how dang good the QMX Kirk is. By all means Tarkin is great but his proportions and just something is lost and artificial in that. Kirk hangs in there super well and looks very natural and anatomically proper. What a testament to QMX, and a shame that the line isn't getting more love. But is that their fault if the audience is weak? Eh. Hard to say.

Agreed.
HT gets away with a lot of half-assed attempts. Not saying that Tarkin isn’t a great figure, he is, but there’s quite some room for improvement.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Back