QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed- all the signs- despite the promises from the last year or so all equal the line is shelved for the time being- yes they have PLANS and still have the license but are very hesitant on what to do. I still see Scotty as being too risky to make so they clearly are looking at how to get Kirk and Spock out again. Even that is a risk because alot of us already have them and how many sales are left for them? Ebay prices don't equal to huge masses wanting them- maybe a couple hundred people...who can say? Enough to do another production run at even the lower end?

You're right on the money QuiGonFishing. Pop culture moves on, and Star Trek will soon become an ancient artifact, unless CBS can reinvent it for a wider audience beyond the pay service showing Discovery.

As far as QMX, I wonder if they would ever consider releasing the remaining TOS crew as individual parts that can be put together as a kit by collectors. They could offer head sculpts, crew uniforms and accessories separately, much like OneSixthKit does, thereby eliminating the chance of being stuck with hundreds of unsold boxed Scottys or Chekovs. Just a thought.

It will never happen to get all the crews. That's a Playmates thing. I am holding out for Star Trek Beyond figures. Have seen Kirk. I have all other Trek figures by QMX & Nanjin. All are AWESOME!

Would like most others collectors the 5 Captains would be great. In a perfect world this would be my faves to go with them - Dr. Crusher, Kira, 7 of 9 & T-Pal. The woman are always overlooked.

The problem with TOS ST is that the show was a cult
show and if you ask anyone born in the 80’s if they
would buy a Scotty or a Sulu , they might ask you
who are these guys?

I agree unfortunately ST has a smaller fan base than say SW

I do hope they release the rest of the figures but if sales continue
to slump, QMX might be the big loser. I am sure the licensing
rights not to mention the likeness of character rights cannot be cheap
They probably gamble big time for the rights and now might be
in a tough spot . Hope QMX recovers but who knows...

I just looked at the schedule, and QMX's Trek Convention Panel with Nanjin is Thursday at 3:15 PM. Hopefully we get some good news at the end!

A side note: I can't imagine they'd fly Nanjin out to do a panel SPECIFICALLY on 1:6 - not on their ships or anything else - without announcing...something.

EDIT:

Capture.JPG

I read that as well. But if they were already saying that at SDCC, then they've got to have saved something for Vegas, right? Maybe I'm overthinking it. I wish someone would record that panel and share it for us!

All you folks suggesting that Trek NEVER did well in the toy sales areas should take a look at the Netflix series The Toys That Made Us. The reason Trek hasn’t done well in toy sales is because the studio and the original toy manufacturers made horrible decisions. When Trek Toys were first being made in the late 60s and 70s they slapped Star Trek on any piece of junk (not even remotely connected to Trek), so sales sucked. Mego was the only company in the “old days” to make things that were decent for the time. When the first Trek movie came out, Toys were made, but unfortunately the movie was boring as hell, and the toys didn’t sell well. When Wrath of Khan came out, the studio and toy companies were reluctant (based on the previous film) to make Toys. Opportunity missed. Trek III they tried again... another mediocre film killed sales. Trek IV, reluctance again, and the movie was a hit. Opportunity missed again. Essentially the reason for any poor sales of Trek merchandise boils down to bad-timing, crap product, and stupid decisions by the studios and the toy manufacturers — it has little to nothing to do with Trek fans not being interested in product. QMX has finally made decent Trek figures, but if the sales aren’t great, it has more to do with bad decisions. If they want to get new people involved they need to run more Kirk and Spock, in conjunction with new figures (like Scotty, etc). Stop dragging their feet, and get the ball rolling again.

By dragging their feet and being indecisive alot of time has passed since the core releases. I think the line has lost all steam by the long gaps on new product. I don't look for them to go full tilt again on this...

But this doesn’t make sense.

If the Line is in fact already slowing down with sales as
Wittnessed with Khan,
wouldn’t any past momentum be forever lost if they
don’t re release Kirk and Spock or I just don’t see a
Casual fan buying only a Scotty or Cherov

I think there were announcement TWOK would be coming
But that was orovdy over 1 year ago.

If the TOS line is stalled, I don’t see how TNG after Pickard
stand a chance. And Pickard can now be purchased for a song

Nanjin's Facebook page has loads of Star Trek sixth-scale teasers. Amazing possibilities being worked on. Lots of teasers for Discovery figures now, and smartly so. It would help in keeping the revenue stream going for their long goals (they should go with the pre-orders route) -- and that would no doubt keep classic and movie Trek figures a definite possibility. Capitalize on what's brand new and popular with the younger fans -- keeping sales up and the profits coming in -- and Nanjin will have the leverage he needs to get OKs from bosses to move forward with the classic stuff.

Pre-orders early after prototyping are normal for the industry, so if that would help the TOS and TNG lines by setting a volume for production runs that wouldn't leave a lot of extra figures lying around with associated loses from markdowns just to get rid of unsold excess, then it wouldn't be a shock to collectors to wait longer. Which is not to say that short windows between pre-order solicits and product availability isn't a welcome change from the norm. Unfortunately, this hobby is as much about the waiting as it is the getting and displaying.

I'll take waiting a while for a figure over getting no figure at all.

All you folks suggesting that Trek NEVER did well in the toy sales areas should take a look at the Netflix series The Toys That Made Us. The reason Trek hasn’t done well in toy sales is because the studio and the original toy manufacturers made horrible decisions. When Trek Toys were first being made in the late 60s and 70s they slapped Star Trek on any piece of junk (not even remotely connected to Trek), so sales sucked. Mego was the only company in the “old days” to make things that were decent for the time. When the first Trek movie came out, Toys were made, but unfortunately the movie was boring as hell, and the toys didn’t sell well. When Wrath of Khan came out, the studio and toy companies were reluctant (based on the previous film) to make Toys. Opportunity missed. Trek III they tried again... another mediocre film killed sales. Trek IV, reluctance again, and the movie was a hit. Opportunity missed again. Essentially the reason for any poor sales of Trek merchandise boils down to bad-timing, crap product, and stupid decisions by the studios and the toy manufacturers — it has little to nothing to do with Trek fans not being interested in product. QMX has finally made decent Trek figures, but if the sales aren’t great, it has more to do with bad decisions. If they want to get new people involved they need to run more Kirk and Spock, in conjunction with new figures (like Scotty, etc). Stop dragging their feet, and get the ball rolling again.

The times were different then, though. While you're completely right (and I have seen that documentary) about the timing being off, success came when there was a product released in conjunction with a rise in fandom - Mego, Playmates. Past the first couple of waves, DST struggled, no matter the scale or style. People bought Kirk and Spock, and from then on, it dropped off.

Is Discovery really doing well enough to support a high-end line? I mean, I suppose Anovos seems to be doing pretty well with their prop and uniform preorders, but I don't know what quantities they're working in...and the high-end ships, well, they have a very limited audience from the beginning. But figures? I'm not so sure.

I will say this: There are a lot of sunk costs already paid out. Sculpts and prototypes made of various figures. Even with relatively small, and pre-order only releases, it's gotta be worthwhile to recoup some of that, right? Though I suppose we've seen tons of toy prototypes that never saw the light of day.

Also: I hope Nanjin has the rights to everything he's shown us. Because even if QMX bails, you KNOW he'll find a way to get those out to the public. He did it before with QMX, he can do it again somewhere else.

Pre-orders early after prototyping are normal for the industry, so if that would help the TOS and TNG lines by setting a volume for production runs that wouldn't leave a lot of extra figures lying around with associated loses from markdowns just to get rid of unsold excess, then it wouldn't be a shock to collectors to wait longer. Which is not to say that short windows between pre-order solicits and product availability isn't a welcome change from the norm. Unfortunately, this hobby is as much about the waiting as it is the getting and displaying.

I'll take waiting a while for a figure over getting no figure at all.

Exact-a-mundo!

I think a Discovery line of figures would tank miserably.

If Picard and the OT figures were in any way having trouble selling, especially at the prices that they initially sold at, I don't think there's a large enough Discovery 1/6th scaled figure fan-base to keep that line afloat.

My recommendation to QMX is to reveal their Uhura figure (if there is a prototype available) and sit back and watch the praises come rolling in. No ugly joints, though. And that is going to be a tough obstacle to overcome.

I've plopped my custom Rand head on a xing suntan body and she looks great. I'm sure Uhura would look as good. Seamless elbows and knees are good enough IMO.

I saw your Rand on Facebook. Looks great. What's ballpark on a custom like that if you don't mind me asking?

I saw your Rand on Facebook. Looks great. What's ballpark on a custom like that if you don't mind me asking?

1533193230490697001304.jpg

Just a quick shot so apologies for the quality. The TOS head was $60 and $100 to paint. The TMP head cost more for the new hair sculpt. Looks great on the xing. Suntan but I'm having to enlarge the hole. Safer to do that before commissioning the paint next time. I'm very nervous...

She looks amazing but I'd still buy a Qmx version.

I'm fairly certain we'll get the TOS crew. I'll have to cast around for interest in commissioning Chapel, Decker, and Ilia if they don't go that far...

Might I ask where the clothing elements came from?

Rand would be a pretty easy custom once Uhura comes out - extra Uhura, extra body, headswap (+paint)...done. Chapel, Decker, and Ilia, with their unique uniforms - ouch!

EDIT: Warrior's Gate also made what were - at the time - the best Kirk sculpts pre-QMX. I still have the smiling one sitting around. Just wish they'd move a bit quicker - I feel like they announce heads and they don't come out for 2 years lol.

Back