QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys at this point

Be happy with what you got! Sadly I don’t see QMX
coming through on anything else this year
to be honest including Sulu and Scotty

On a positive note, if anyone need a mint
V1.0 Kirk and Spock below retail ,
I got them ready to ship :)

Way back when the v.1's of Kirk and Spock came out and they were still some months away, when I queried Planets 'pay up front' policy, I was told that "QMX is a pay up front company" . It seemed odd that they were saying that full payment first was QMX's policy not theirs. (Luckily, they had a monthly payment option, otherwise I'd never have been able to afford them)

Way back when the v.1's of Kirk and Spock came out and they were still some months away, when I queried Planets 'pay up front' policy, I was told that "QMX is a pay up front company" . It seemed odd that they were saying that full payment first was QMX's policy not theirs. (Luckily, they had a monthly payment option, otherwise I'd never have been able to afford them)

You've been sold a bill of goods. Big Bad Toy Store (BBTS) only charges for QMx PRE-ORDERS upon shipping them. Maybe it's different in the UK than in the USA, but I don't see why. This is a policy of the company selling the product.

You've been sold a bill of goods. Big Bad Toy Store (BBTS) only charges for QMx PRE-ORDERS upon shipping them. Maybe it's different in the UK than in the USA, but I don't see why. This is a policy of the company selling the product.

That's what I thought. But it certainly seems to be Planets policy (at least on Trek, I don't know about any of the other lines they sell). They just told me QMX 'made them do it' for want of a better phrase....

I have only seen Planet Action Figures ask for payment up front in a few rare instances. It's not standard policy.

I am hopeful that we haven't seen the last of QMX 's Star Trek line, especially as the show is having a resurgence but they can't keep letting it go off the boil. They need to maintain the buzz longer term.

There are a couple of alternative Uhura options if the line grinds to a halt. I'm more worried about Chekov and Chapel.

I have only seen Planet Action Figures ask for payment up front in a few rare instances. It's not standard policy.

I am hopeful that we haven't seen the last of QMX 's Star Trek line, especially as the show is having a resurgence but they can't keep letting it go off the boil. They need to maintain the buzz longer term.

There are a couple of alternative Uhura options if the line grinds to a halt. I'm more worried about Chekov and Chapel.

Chekov and Chapel?! Boy, you are optimistic! I'm more worried about Scotty and Sulu and a re-lease of a McCoy, although I don't believe a McCoy re-release will ever happen at this point.

Reading between the lines, potential good news seems to be: unless QMX like throwing money away, they aren't going to renew licensing for 1/6 Trek if they're not producing 1/6 Trek.

So eventually that license should be up for grabs. Hopefully (someday) Nanjin can align with another company interested in running with it.

Reading between the lines, potential good news seems to be: unless QMX like throwing money away, they aren't going to renew licensing for 1/6 Trek if they're not producing 1/6 Trek.

So eventually that license should be up for grabs. Hopefully (someday) Nanjin can align with another company interested in running with it.
The only problem I foresee if a new company would potentially take the license over from QMX is they probably would want to start over again. So that would sort of suck too and might get us in the same situation where the first few (likely Kirk, Spock, and Mc) sell well and things slow down.

I wish QMX would just pick back up and somehow Nanjin would realign himself with them. It seemed like they had a good thing going for quite a while. I mean we got six TOS figures and the chair plus Picard.

The only problem I foresee if a new company would potentially take the license over from QMX is they probably would want to start over again. So that would sort of suck too and might get us in the same situation where the first few (likely Kirk, Spock, and Mc) sell well and things slow down.

I wish QMX would just pick back up and somehow Nanjin would realign himself with them. It seemed like they had a good thing going for quite a while. I mean we got six TOS figures and the chair plus Picard.

I think Nanjin is reluctant to comment on resuming his association with QMx, and that’s understandable. We can assume that that is not likely to happen after all this time has passed and the QMx interest in Trek both financially and otherwise is waning or has completely evaporated. And once again, the c-virus is not helping the situation. And if another company were to take over the Trek license of course they would want to start from scratch, as well they should. The lesson here is PRE-ORDER all the figures announced when announced and ask questions later! But expect prices to top $200-250.

Guys

We are lucky to get what we got.
It is a pity but these days companies
are heavily invested in the Avengers,
Superheros and the Joker production
franchise to name a few.

ST is a niche market and I would imagined
if the company knows they cant produced
X + Y, there is a risk with the licensing
and if it doesn’t sell for whatever reason
the cost is a huge risk.

I mean if you think about it, how many
youngsters know who is Sulu, Uhura or
the secondary characters.

Even TWOK, not too many new comers
know that movie unless you are hardcore.

Then when you add how long it takes to
get the licensing rights plus the cost,
all the private pics seen even by Trek God
(NTam) might sadly just end up being a dream
And probably never get produced

Just my .02

If I was an enterprising person I would make some head sculpters and uniforms then sell them via a Chinese ebay seller. Yes I know licensing bla bla bla but many great figures have been produced without a license and it is clear QMX can't satisfy the hardcore 1/6 Trek crowd. I appreciate what QMX have done even though it was wrought with fustration and still is but it is time to go private or we will never have a complete TOS crew including nurse Chapel and Rand.

Star Trek TOS is Nanjin's dream not QMX, without him if they ever do continue with the franchise it will likely be later Trek where the numbers might still be viable as us early Trekkers are dying out unfortunately.

That’s sort of what Nanjin was doing on his own before he did it for QMX. Obviously there will be interest, but it’s just the die hards.

Not that the new franchise is an indicator of success (part of the problem actually, 3 movies in 11 years WTF?) there is only one decent Kirk figure from that franchise produced by iminime. Even I didn’t want to keep it and I tried to sell it for the price I got it at cost and it took 3 years and finally sold just last week.

The market is flooding with Picard (could be it was over produced) we were warned Khans were super limited (took forever to sell those)

Kirk and Spock do well but that’s about it. If you ask me I’ll go out on a limb and say it bluntly; no one cares about Star Trek. Probably not since the mind-1990s.

If you ask me the only bright spot in all of Star Trek and something that’s being handled right in all this time (that’s not to say there has not been stuff I’ve immensely enjoyed) is the new Picard series. It’s the only thing that feels familiar but fresh and they invested in top of the line writers for. But being on the stupid CBS subscription platform and their terrible marketing of the series I doubt it will be any kind of success.

So all in all if we ever want more figures it will probably be the same way we got them before through nanjin on his own, and he’s always done it for the love not the economics, we can only hope after the bad taste in his mouth left from QMX passes over time his love for Trek and collecting and making amazing figures (becuase he truly, truly does) will reign supreme. And the 6 of us who still like Star Trek can at least complete our original crew.

There’s a lot of reasons why Star Trek has generally failed when it comes to merchandising, and it goes all the way back to the 60s. If you have Netflix, check out the first season of The Toys That Made Us, and they explain it pretty well. A lot of it has to do with $@&t timing on the part of the studios handling — missed opportunities when the irons were hot. I think there’s more than just six of us who would like to see more TOS Trek, but we get shafted every damn time.

Guys

We are lucky to get what we got.
It is a pity but these days companies
are heavily invested in the Avengers,
Superheros and the Joker production
franchise to name a few.

ST is a niche market and I would imagined
if the company knows they cant produced
X + Y, there is a risk with the licensing
and if it doesn’t sell for whatever reason
the cost is a huge risk.

I mean if you think about it, how many
youngsters know who is Sulu, Uhura or
the secondary characters.

Even TWOK, not too many new comers
know that movie unless you are hardcore.

Then when you add how long it takes to
get the licensing rights plus the cost,
all the private pics seen even by Trek God
(NTam) might sadly just end up being a dream
And probably never get produced

Just my .02
100%.

Even MCCoy sat and sat for some time for $200
before Kirk and Spock were release

The average Hot Toys now goes for north of
$300(?) and a custom could go fo $1,500+

If you think about it, it is an indication
the market might just not be as big.

For us diehards, I would buy everyone
but for the weathered fans, it is just
Kirk and maybe Spock

If I remember correctly, Nanjin had shared some of his plans with this line in which he would have been able to release figures not just more quickly but at a lower price-point. This would in turn not only keep us diehards happy but also have those fair-weathered fans' interest peaked and in turn, picking up more figures in the line. You can even throw in the casual collector with just a slight interest and they would possibly get hooked as well.

It truly is a shame that Nanjin could not have completed his plans...

If a line is moving smoothly and offering well done figures at a fair price, it is easy for a consumer/collector to get hooked and pick up most, if not all of the figures, just to keep it as complete as possible. I'm sure many of us have fall into that group... :wink1:

Guys at this point

Be happy with what you got! Sadly I don?t see QMX
coming through on anything else this year
to be honest including Sulu and Scotty

On a positive note, if anyone need a mint
V1.0 Kirk and Spock below retail ,
I got them ready to ship :)

A lot of UK guys paid for their Sulus a year ago, so I wouldn't tell them to be happy.

I think there's definitely been a resurgence of interest in Trek lately, with DSC, Picard, and a potential Pike series. But the problem is those fans have just never seemed as interested in collecting toys or figures as much as fans of other big franchises like SW and Marvel. Possibly because there's never been as much of a "playability" factor with these characters, given it's a much more cerebral kind of scifi with officers all wearing similar looking uniforms while standing around in sterile looking ships. :D

Back