QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We single minded mob cultured Star Trek fans thank you for your more generous and courteous response to our thoughts. What you won't see from our mob is any derogatory personal remarks about your opinions or aspertions about your fandom oddness. Just our thoughts on things that we see, well me anyway. All things have critics and we should all see the benefits, sometimes negative comments bring change as long as it is directed appropriately, But again with forums youre OK to express a view, but maybe be a little less critical of the person, no identity politics.

We single minded mob cultured Star Trek fans thank you for your more generous and courteous response to our thoughts. What you won't see from our mob is any derogatory personal remarks about your opinions or aspertions about your fandom oddness. Just our thoughts on things that we see, well me anyway. All things have critics and we should all see the benefits, sometimes negative comments bring change as long as it is directed appropriately, But again with forums youre OK to express a view, but maybe be a little less critical of the person, no identity politics.

Indeed.

I don't think my own posts have been rude or disrespectful, but opinions based upon observation and comparison with the figures I have in hand. Nor have I called into question the motives for anyone else's opinions, or decried their viewpoints.

Nor do I want to belabour the same point over and over, but it seems necessary since there are those that think there are ulterior motives for my preferring the originals. Yet it's the same reason why I prefer original Kirk and Spock over Scotty.

This has been a long and winding road from the first rumours that there was going to be a new Kirk and Spock. As before, money is no object. I know when I want a figure, because it calls to me and I can't pre-order it fast enough. Other times I feel I need to order something because I don't want to be left with an inferior product when a new, improved version becomes available.

In essence then, I'm actually looking for reasons to buy, in order to justify duplication, rather than reasons not to buy. Unfortunately, in this case, I actually prefer the look of the originals. That may seem odd to many, because new is usually better. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

Yes, there are some improvements as I've mentioned before: the smaller badges (which match Scotty's), and the embroidered cuff ranks.

But these improvements come at a cost: I prefer the way the original shirts hang and crease.

Yes, shirts did shrink through washing in the series. But on the figures it's not a good look because it exposes the underlying body. Hence the reason I think Scotty doesn't look as good as the original three, and why Sulu and Chekov will also be compromised in my eyes.

It may be possible to stretch the shirts to make them look more natural, but it could go wrong. What I'd like to see, and it's been mentioned by others in the past, are uniform sets without bodies or heads. People have previously expressed an opinion for red shirts so you could create your own security team. Such sets for Kirk and Spock would not only enable you to create new characters, but also experiment with the shirts.

It would be easier than having to buy a complete figure, and then the fuss of safely storing or getting rid of the unwanted parts. With well over three hundred figures the amount of unused parts and spares is getting out of hand! I prefer to buy only what I'm likely to use.

Holy crap this is an eye full (brain full) of comments. I missed out on the first batch an I’m super excited for the re-release. No complaints and SUPER excited... Design and Production Teams :clap.

I work in Production and Development in Vietnam so I get how this rolls.

Again, can not wait to get these figures in hand... they look fantastic!

Struggling to find a UK supplier for these. I think I'll stick with my originals and try to pick up some replacement bodies for them if offered .I would have loved the updated Spock paint up but will make do with what I have.

I'm happy for those Guys who missed out. They look really good.

Struggling to find a UK supplier for these. I think I'll stick with my originals and try to pick up some replacement bodies for them if offered .I would have loved the updated Spock paint up but will make do with what I have.

I'm happy for those Guys who missed out. They look really good.
I was sure Planet Action Figures posted on their Facebook page a while back that they were going to offer these, but I can't find them on their website. Might be worth dropping them an email? (Sorry if you've already tried that)

agreed, I saw your comments as constructive observation and from a personal point if view with no disrespectful tone. Again constructive criticism can be misconstrued by some and then their respinse becomes a bit rude themselves and in some cases a tad combative. But hey we all have a view and as long as we can see our objective is one of constructive debate we can rest easy with that.

agreed, I saw your comments as constructive observation and from a personal point if view with no disrespectful tone. Again constructive criticism can be misconstrued by some and then their respinse becomes a bit rude themselves and in some cases a tad combative. But hey we all have a view and as long as we can see our objective is one of constructive debate we can rest easy with that.

:duff

I just wish I'd kept quiet and never wrote anything in the first place, because sometimes things get an awful lot more involved than they were intended to be. :lol

I'm glad for people who look forward to these, and will have them without losing a limb or an organ, and I'm glad that the product has made it easy to choose whether I wanted them or not.

Well... I just fixed that missing first picture of that write-up I wrote but nobody paid attention to... :-(

You are right. There are inferior because everything were wrong [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I never said anything about this release being inferior to the first one, as in my write-up I never intended to compare them at all.
As a disclaimer, I made very clear that this release, as the first one, are priceless contributions, before listing the issues I had with the upcoming, still-in-the-works-and-open-to-improvement release when COMPARED WITH REFERENCE PICS. Even if I am aware of Mr Nanjin not having full authority over this re-release, I tried to pin down the aspects of it where I saw room for improvement, explaining why and addressing what I perceived as elephants in the room nobody talked about, in the vain hope of triggering a discussion on each of them, maybe getting Mr Nanjin's view on them too, and maybe even, if any agreement was reached, provoking changes to the prototypes. I didn't want to waste my time instead by contributing to yet another re-statement of what can and what can't be discussed on a DISCUSSION FORUM. I also didn't expect that my observations and remarks, which I did to try and contribute to Mr Nanjin's endeavour, would be largely ignored, even DISCARDED WITHOUT FURTHER ELABORATION. Should I have known better, I wouldn't have wasted my time writing them up.

Exactly... reminds me of why people make fun of Star Trek fans altogether. Gotta argue every little detail over and over and over. Star Trek fans are their own worst enemy.

Considering how often high-end 1/6 Star Trek figures are released, this is an epochal moment. When you buy a figure, after shelling out some noticeable moolah, you are going to enjoy its pros and endure its cons for a lot of years to come. It is only logical that, given the unheard-of chance to have exchanges with the creator himself before release, while protos are still being tweaked, you try to help remove as many cons as possible (it is much better that any aftermarket fixes). I bothered to do my write-up because the issues I perceived on the protos where not petty at all (as I already said, to me they were "elephants in the room"), and they really hurt realism and accuracy in a very noticeable manner. I didn't argue about irrelevancies "over and over and over".
And I make it clear again: I am not even into TOS, but into TWOK. All I do is in the hope of future TWOK releases to have as few cons as possible, and I can't wait to try and contribute as soon as possible to that aim.

It's not a behavior unique to Star Trek fans . A lot of these forums are tough to take when the dissatisfied mob begins to pile on and echo each other in their single mindedness

Democracy was devised to address "dissatisfied mobs" and turn them into players contributing to the betterment of the community as a whole. Forum were divised millennia ago for "satisfied" and "dissatisfied" mobs to discuss their views, in the hope of some better decision making. Nothing to deplore in that. That there are groups that are single-minded is nothing to be disgusted about. Agreement and disagreement work like that: by groups. They must be weighted in order to make better decisions.
Granted: what Mr Nanjin and Qmx are pulling off here is no Democracy. But they have implied that they are listening to criticism for them to make better decisions. That resembles Democracy, and we are exerting it to the extent we can.

I have tons of limitors affixed to my arms and legs.

This is by far, the best painted Kirk in the entire universe. TOS kirk V3 already subtly edged out this TMP Kirk, and I believe TMP V2 will again edge out TOS V3 both in paint up and likeness.

I can make perfect 1/6 Trek if there are no limitors all over me.
2692c480a41d0d486a30938d84002ca3.jpg

We sure know you have restraints on you, Mr Nanjin. I do, at least. I could understand if you told us it is too late for bull necks to be fixed, anyway, the issue must be addressed as soon as possible so that the next release won't suffer from them. Right?
That Kirk head is awesome, btw. What is it for? Can we see that head's neck? :)

This. Agreed that there are certain individuals on these forums that are trigger-happy bigots, always first to mock the others, never with any sound reasoning, and that never seem to get punished no matter how often they get reported. But polite, reasoned disent with the heart to contribute for the greater good is healthy and should be welcomed.
The sole fact that this has to be uttered again feels like a defeat to me, though....

RfC
m.

Here is another proposal for Mr Nanjin (for which I hope for more consideration this time), now that he has brought that astounding Kirk head to the table: I am among those who believe that a realistic action figure gets a lot more realistic when it is given a doubly-articulated neck, even in spite of the seam that forms between the head and the neck (the torso-neck seam is covered by the clothing). I am not thinking about those necks from older figures that were completely plain, like e.g.:

nick_Fury_HT_09_Neck.jpg

But rather these:

falcon_HT_Neck_01.jpg

Figures with a doubly-articulated neck allow for a lot of expressivity where it really counts, as humans use their heads heavily for non-verbal expression. On top of that, it helps with difficult poses (e.g. lying on the ground).

I don't know if there is any consent on this thread concerning doubly-jointed necks, but if there was one and it was favourable to a doubly-articulated neck, Mr Nanjin, would you and your team consider a doubly-jointed neck, provided that it would have a degree of fine detailing like that of the second picture above, while paint ops would be the same on the it as those applied on the head's skin?

Thanks,
m.

I have tons of limitors affixed to my arms and legs.

This is by far, the best painted Kirk in the entire universe. TOS kirk V3 already subtly edged out this TMP Kirk, and I believe TMP V2 will again edge out TOS V3 both in paint up and likeness.

I can make perfect 1/6 Trek if there are no limitors all over me.
2692c480a41d0d486a30938d84002ca3.jpg

WOW that Kirk head sculpt/paint work is spectacular! Amazingly lifelike. I hope this version somehow makes it into production. (fingers crossed).

Here is another proposal for Mr Nanjin (for which I hope for more consideration this time), now that he has brought that astounding Kirk head to the table: I am among those who believe that a realistic action figure gets a lot more realistic when it is given a doubly-articulated neck, even in spite of the seam that forms between the head and the neck (the torso-neck seam is covered by the clothing). I am not thinking about those necks from older figures that were completely plain, like e.g.:

View attachment 464019

But rather these:

View attachment 464020

Figures with a doubly-articulated neck allow for a lot of expressivity where it really counts, as humans use their heads heavily for non-verbal expression. On top of that, it helps with difficult poses (e.g. lying on the ground).

I don't know if there is any consent on this thread concerning doubly-jointed necks, but if there was one and it was favourable to a doubly-articulated neck, Mr Nanjin, would you and your team consider a doubly-jointed neck, provided that it would have a degree of fine detailing like that of the second picture above, while paint ops would be the same on the it as those applied on the head's skin?

Thanks,
m.

Uuuuhm...no!

I know I can be an ******* sometime. Because I would take things personally. But without this ******* attitude, I wouldnt be able to function among wolves in China. Of course doesnt mean I am doing the right thing, but I am sure the actions I took, extends the existence of 1/6 trek.

I am extremely protective of anything or anyone under my responsibility. I take everything personal. Saying my girls didnt paint the figures well is like pointing fingers to my nose.

I know I shouldnt, but I function like a herd dog protecting my sheeps from the wolves.

My employment at QMx is.coming to.an.end very soon, but I really want to clarify to those who didnt know me before 2016.

Those who are in this venture with me since.2010 should know I am not QMx, and QMx is not me. QMx was no where in sight when we were all excited about1/6 trek that we were doing. These friends should already aware that “Bringing 1/6 trek to my friends” was and always had been my prime Directive. As most would know, I never stop, and I wont.

What I want to do, is my own desire and at my own cost.

Btw, season 2 uniforms were my proposed exclusive.

I like them [emoji4]

In regards to the issues that were mentioned above, I had addressed them on 2016 Sept. But without a character specific body, how can any of those be done? Yet, I planned for this to happen in 2018 since 2016 -- a Green Leisure Kirk with his own body. Note that I ended up producing the bodies myself.... putting myself in great danger, grey area - conflict of interest, adding to this, I might not get my money back because I think most people hates me. See how far I would go to keep Trek alive?

I am functioning less than 40% of my full abilities in 1/6.
623fa729909f5d744fef14abf7af799b.jpg
39ce435b453b95afff6818436c4d53af.jpg
f3ae2cc869860b105499c724a388f88f.jpg

Last edited:
WOW that Kirk head sculpt/paint work is spectacular! Amazingly lifelike. I hope this version somehow makes it into production. (fingers crossed).
Sadly speaking, it will never happen. Some big company is hiring the girl who did this for me.

I couldnt keep my production facility going because I received zero support.

My girl only had one eye. She never touched a paint brush 6 months ago.

This is Nanjin's planned 2nd Spock release. I started this in thr end of 2017.

97a7b93495f3424491ff5d6f0f06b8a9.jpg

Are there any images of the old shirts on the new bodies? How baggy will they be? Not that I mind that much, just curious.

Are there any images of the old shirts on the new bodies? How baggy will they be? Not that I mind that much, just curious.
I am curious too. My Spock and McCoy have the little over sized Set Accurate Blue so they are not good representation of the appearance.

snip

But rather these:

snip

Thanks,
m.

I definitely agree with you, trying to kitbash neckless bodies with neckless heads is a pain in the ass since there's so few painted neck accessories to be found. And I do prefer any head that has an articulated neck for added expression.

I definitely agree with you, trying to kitbash neckless bodies with neckless heads is a pain in the ass since there's so few painted neck accessories to be found. And I do prefer any head that has an articulated neck for added expression.
Reckless heads are more animated, true.

But

Unless is ok for the neck and the head to have different color, otherwise any “realistic” skin texturing or whatsoever will eventually scratched because of flexion.

(In order to have identical skin texturing. both parts must be the same material and have the same production process. Paintups are equally Non-Scratch resistant

HT tried to use magnets years ago, and they still do on some. But mostly phased out from “Better Looking” head sculpt.

Their good heads (that means realistic) always have necks. Appearance always come first in HT production.

What's the plan next, Nanjin? I know you're dedicated to Trek in every way, but if QMX had the license there unfortunately isn't much you can do going forward, right? Any other passion projects you will pursue? You've got such great drive and motivation, I'd love to see those be applied to another beloved series.

Back