QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of these complaints remind me why companies just stop listening altogether.

You are perfectly right.

Nanjin has been a defender of Star Trek for years, always striving to make better figures and I think people’s reaction is rude and wrong.

In all honesty, I have the first release and was on the fence about getting the new versions. Turns out I won’t as I don’t think the new figures are different enough. But that doesn’t mean they look bad and I envy those who will discover these gems for the first time when they open it.

Keep up the good work, Nanjin!

Not from my angle. I was intending to double up, but as it happens the originals still look better to me, mainly because of the shirt/body issue. I wasn't even considering all the other things that asgardianboy noted.

If I didn't already have Kirk and Spock I'd be looking to get the originals rather than the re-issues. I got the exclusives when they first came out.

Scotty is inferior to the original three due to the shirt/body, and this seems to be a trend now that will continue through Sulu, the re-issues and Chekov etc.

Money is no object to my collecting, but there's no point spending it on something that's unnecessary.

All power to those that don't see any issue and will be happy to have a chance to own these re-issues.

This.

I agree these are not in my opinion " perfect" compared to the last Kirk and Spock. And we are all entitled to that opinion and to air it on a forum, that is what forums are for, to gather opinion and to discuss honestly. Some companies would listen in some instances and would change or respect views where they saw fit and in small cases agreed in some way with any feedback, negative and constructive feed back has always resulted in someway to progressive change. It us unfortunate that some companies don't listen as with qmx and their distribution network they tend to alienate some customer bases. I know you can't please all of the people all of the time but our voices and opinions are no less important or irrelevant. Although Nanjin has brought us some fantastic works, and for that I am grateful, that doesn't make him a 1:6 Messiah who's Every word or decision cannot be questioned or gone against in any constructive way, and I in no way belittle those who will follow him without question, but he and processes should not be considered a no go for constructive feedback. At no time has anyone denigrated him or his works, but in this case there is some valid consensus that these are not the figures that would make those of us who have bought Kirk and Spock, to go out and buy them again just to try and justify a continuation or kick start to the line and for that I am sorry. Again I thank Nanjin for his commitment and endeavours but please accept that there are those who disagree with the body choice, and In some way QMX are partially to blame for not authorising or persueing the deal process to deliver a new and improved sculpt to fit the bodies more adequately and Nanjins body chose here is too "cut" for our tastes, and as he constantly strives for perfection maybe he will eventually agree, if not fine that's a choice he will make, just as it is my choice not to agree and not to buy because of this.

And this.

I've stayed pretty quiet on these because after I saw pics I decided not only were they not upgrades, but I actually definitely prefer the original releases for the most part. I had considered getting another Kirk and Spock to go with the command chair, but looking at them I just don't feel that desire any longer (if QMX had made variants instead they would have been instant purchases, though).

For me, for each thing the new releases do slightly better, they do something else slightly worse, and on balance I prefer the minor issues of the original releases over the new minor issues of these releases. I could go into detail, but lets face it, nobody cares that much so I won't bore you all with the details. Suffice to say, not only am I happy with my originals, but I'd personally still buy the originals over these new ones, if given the choice. That's not justification for money already spent, it's simple preference based on what I've seen so far. But hey, that's just me.

That said, there's certainly nothing dramatically wrong with these new releases, and I'm sure those who purchase them will enjoy them. I just see them as more of a sideways step than an upgrade, that's all. :)

I disagree strongly that the new figures are inferior (at least in the pics).

I still think Spock is an improvement, and a significant one, especially with the adjustments to the flesh tone. If anything, the pics have made me more excited for the new figure, even though I have the old one. I'm keeping him on pre-order!

I can definitely see room for debate with Kirk. I admit that his head seems out of proportion with the new body, but I'm still stoked about the embroidered rank stripes shirt. I'm on the fence about getting him, but if I do get the new Kirk, I think I might just swap heads and shirts with McCoy, to give the good doctor a shorter, skinnier body that is a bit closer to screen accuracy. This won't fix McCoy's bull neck (DeForest Kelley really seams to have had a particularly slender neck!) but I think it will look better than the current McCoy. Swapping over to Scotty could be a possibility too, though I'm not as bothered by Scotty's shirt fit as many here seem to be.

Regarding the tightness of the figures' shirts, and seeing abs through the material, I think that will be easily remedied by an undershirt, or maybe just stretching the shirt fabric a bit. Whether or not I'll mess around with that will depend on how the figures look in-hand. I think it's quite possible that this won't be that noticeable in-hand. Honestly, the on-screen shirts seemed to vary in color and fit from scene-to-scene, let alone between episodes and seasons. I think Nanjin and his team did a very admirable job.

These new Kirk and Spock figures will look inferior to everyone...who already bought the originals at retail...or even better more recently paid stupid prices for them on EBay and have no desire to buy them a second time...I think that is how it works...most of everyone else will see two awesome looking figures of Kirk and Spock when they look at the re-releases.

:exactly:

disagree, if these new figures were perfect and sufficiently superior, I would have bought them. It is nothing to do with already having them, it is to do with them not in our opinion being better than the first productions. I respect your right to disagree but not to suggest we are just being petty. I have supported this line from the start and applauded the great work Nanjing did, but on this issue we just differ in opinion, but for no other reason than I don't prefer this new vision over the original, sorry.

You're speaking for other people with no real idea what they're thinking. I personally wanted an upgrade. I simply don't see these as an upgrade and have voiced my opinion along with a few others here. Just because someone doesn't follow your narrative, doesn't make them automatically wrong.

Who said anything about anyone being "wrong?" I am merely stating MY opinion on what may be driving the opinions of others...since you have expressed some support surrounding opinions being allowed to be voiced unfettered you should appreciate this :)

Seriously considering getting another Kirk, since I have the Captain's chair. If they had done the green wrap around tunic, it would have been an instant buy. While I think the paint apps are improved with the reissues, the other differences are minor in my opinion and not worth upgrading. I'm happy that those that missed out on the originals will be able to get these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seriously considering getting another Kirk, since I have the Captain's chair. If they had done the green wrap around tunic, it would have been an instant buy. While I think the paint apps are improved with the reissues, the other differences are minor in my opinion and not worth upgrading. I'm happy that those that missed out on the originals will be able to get these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bingo! My sentiments, exactly. I would have picked up a green-wrap Kirk instantly. This would allow me to have the original posed with Khan and the green-wrap sitting in the captain's chair. I have no interest in picking up the same version of Kirk that I already have.

I am only interested in the TWOK crew. I trekness developed with those movies.
And I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I can't but make some observations, especially because the artist, the expert is around to be asked (even if everybody is invited to comment on my observations, not only Mr. Nanjin) and because they are put forward as "perfect". Before going any further, let me admit that I am not by any means a huge Trek expert, nor an expert 1/6 figure designer. Anyway, the observations above are not very heavily lore-related, and are just my reaction to the figures as I study them visually. Last disclaimer: this is the best Trek stuff ever to be manufactured, and we owe it all to Mr. Nanjin and QMx. Thanks dudes! BTW most of the problems I see are fixable. Others would need changes on the sculpt... Too late?

For ref:

View attachment 463873

View attachment 463892

View attachment 463881

View attachment 463884

View attachment 463885

View attachment 463893

1) The evident one: the bodys have some abs and pecs, and it shows too much. That alone sets them off quite a bit when compared to pics of the real thing.

2) These figs suffer from a pretty normal problem, which breaks the suspencion of disbelief created by the awesome sculpts, paint applications and tailoring of these days: since the subject matter is just 2 guys with normal built (no Arnie yet), and we know just how we normal guys accumulate fat on the sides of our torsos, the way the torso/shirts taper from arm-level to waist-level is very heroic, but very unrealistic, very toy-ish, very action figure-ish. That is exactly where a fatsuit can do a lot, even if it is only loaded on the sides.

3) Another typical problem of Chinese sculpts: the bull neck. Guys, have a look at the ref pic #2. A thick neck might be sexy and heroic as hell, but not accurate. It might be a matter of less than 1mm, but man... does it show... Each side of the head must protrude a bit to the sides beyond the 2 vertical lines that define the neck on each side of the body (even if I am not sure these are actually 2 straight vertical lines, or rather subtel curves).

4) Too long, skinny legs an lack of ass also give you the tsa-figure look, particularly on Spock, and further breaking the suspension of disbelief even if the pants drape realistically and the boots really look the part. Please check out picture #3 (not perfect choice but I can't find any better; you have to compare carefully). It could also be that the crotch area of Spock's pants is too long from the end of the shirt up to the beginning of the legs. This might be happening on Kirk too, even if I also think that his torso might also be a bit too long (see pic #5). Anyway: Spock is clearly too long for its width, and even if I am assuming it has exactly Nymoy's height divided by 6, that is not his physicality. If I am correct, that would imply changes on Kirk, since the difference in height seems OK to me (see pic #2). Also, if I compare the shirt-to-pants length proportion on Spock (length of the shirt from the black neck to the lower end, to the length of the pants from the shirt's lower end to the pants lower end), I'd say your pants are a bit too long (because of the crotch, legs, or both) when compared to ref pics.

5) Another huge issue: head-to-body proportion. The 2 heads are too long vertically and too thick horizontally, each one in differing degrees, and are disproportionate with the body. Don't you guys see it? Am I the only one annoyed by this? Proportions are the first thing you really have to nail before going on to the details (in a sculpt, but also in a figure as a whole).

6) I know that you, Mr Nanjin, have studied zillions and zillions of pics, and that I am going just by only a bunch of them. But anyway: I agree with the way you have differentiated the thickness of Kirk's arms vs Spock's. I see it on pic #4. But I am annoyed by the way the biceps don't fully bulge on the arms of both figures, while the triceps on Spock bulge too much on your last picture (makes him look too strong). Concerning the latter problem, since it happens on both arms, I don't think it is a draping problem. Concerning the former, the biceps problem: shouldn't those areas be more rounded? I understand the problem that the elbow articulation poses and the deep crease that it causes on the sleeves, as well as the need for the arms to be able to deeply and fully flex (forcing the removal of biceps mass towards the elbow), but I am wondering if the biceps are sculpted in a realitic enough way...

7) Sleeves: I guess this must be the subject of some debate, but some ref pics (like #5 and #6) would show that maybe the length of the sleeves/arms on Kirk would be excessive...? Maybe I am wrong, but with the arms fully extended, I'd say that the first golden ring on each sleeve should be at the same height as the lower end of the torso of the shirt.

8) Emblem: agreed on the emblem being a tad too small, Mr Nanjin. It is also positioned at a slightly wrong place, and the shape is not accurate and the black outline is too thick (ok, nitpicking there). But it really hurts accuracy because it is so visible. You should ask Qmx to fix it at all costs.

9) Seams: OK on the shoulders, but the seam that runs down the torso, shouldnt it be more toward the back, maybe centerd on each side of the torso? Why so visible? Please look at pic #1.

Well that was about it. Please guys don't hit me too hard! :)

RfC
m.
You are right. There are inferior because everything were wrong [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

To be correctly stated,

Re-issue with up-to-date production parts and a new body. [emoji4]

I think the general audience for these reissues are those like myself that missed out on the original release and can't afford to buy the originals at the current after market prices. I think you will find us more gracious that these are even being made and less concerned about the cut of spock's shirt vs the original . If I had the originals I would see no reason to upgrade but I am looking forward to getting these new versions personally

Some of these complaints remind me why companies just stop listening altogether.

Exactly... reminds me of why people make fun of Star Trek fans altogether. Gotta argue every little detail over and over and over. Star Trek fans are their own worst enemy.

There are a lot of good points made about these reissues. pro and con. At the end of the day though, I like the subtle differences in shirt fit, sleeve stripe application, boot shine, and I think the head sculpt paint apps are an improvement overall. I'm getting both Kirk and Spock reissues in order to: have spares in case of loss -- and to have the option of setting two different scenes -- with a seated Kirk or Spock bridge setup, or a landing party stance grouping. The shirt fit difference is also accurate to the series. In Seasons 1 and 2, their tunics were more loose-fitting (until they shrunk from washings) -- and in Season 3 they had the polyester tunics with a more form-fitting appearance. So yeah, I like the differences.

It's not a behavior unique to Star Trek fans . A lot of these forums are tough to take when the dissatisfied mob begins to pile on and echo each other in their single mindedness

So what are the discrepancies between the old style figures and releases like Scotty and Sulu?

So what are the discrepancies between the old style figures and releases like Scotty and Sulu?

Minor. So subtle that only extremely ****-retentive fans would notice. The reissue differences are:

1) Tunics are a tad more form-fitting to the torso.
2) Arrowhead chest insignias are 1mm smaller.
3) Sleeve rank stripes have changed from a glued-on painted rubber material, which was thicker -- to a thinner stripe that appears to be some sort of gold glitter substance.
4) Boots are more shiny than before.

The main difference is the plastic body used. It is not as muscular, and has more natural points of articulation for better/more natural poses.

Other than that I don't know for sure. Will have to get the reissues in-hand to see the differences side-by-side.

I have tons of limitors affixed to my arms and legs.

This is by far, the best painted Kirk in the entire universe. TOS kirk V3 already subtly edged out this TMP Kirk, and I believe TMP V2 will again edge out TOS V3 both in paint up and likeness.

I can make perfect 1/6 Trek if there are no limitors all over me.
2692c480a41d0d486a30938d84002ca3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the general audience for these reissues are those like myself that missed out on the original release and can't afford to buy the originals at the current after market prices. I think you will find us more gracious that these are even being made and less concerned about the cut of spock's shirt vs the original . If I had the originals I would see no reason to upgrade but I am looking forward to getting these new versions personally

Ditto.

Also that Kirk above looks fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back