QMx 1:6 Star Trek: TNG - Jean Luc Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought T'Pol was far sexier myself, and even though I wasn't an ENT fan I would definitely be up for a figure if they chose to make one. Especially if they put her in this costume:

8ba48b11b19a240bc3d8e55bc115bc85 (383x500).jpg

"Developed by Trek fans for Trek fans" is how we approach the Trek figures developments. Explaining how they come into being is good too. For example, if we do the command red according to "my" HDTV screen caps (tv screen accurate), they will look bright red in pictures and certain time of the day, the red will look very odd (something you never seen in TNG). However, by using the original "Set Accurate color, you will like having 2 uniforms, set accurate in the morning and screen accurate at night (household lights), and which is an one stone two birds solution.

I appreciate your willingness to accept constructive criticism and acknowledge there are trade offs. If this were still your personal projects, being more reticent in criticism is just polite, but as licensed releases, that need to please people far beyond the board, it makes sense being more critical.

As for the colour, hopefully it is burgundy under natural light, because casual photographs both this year and last at SDCC made it look like a pale magenta.

People who want prop-accurate uniforms can always collect uniforms. Since sewing at scale is even harder than normal tailoring, it's nice to get screen-accurate figures.

All I know is that I am very pleased with the results of the TOS uniforms on the Kirk and Spock figures which are prop accurate. I think they should do the same thing with TNG. I certainly don't agree with the sentiment that "people who want prop-accurate uniforms can always collect uniforms". My interest in high end 1/6 figures is greatly related to having accurate 1/6 representations of costumes and props (like HT Star Wars, MCU, Reeve Superman, Keaton and West Batman) which I can never afford to have as actual costumes and props. Interest in the costumes and props of Star Trek is one of the earliest fan cultural movements which appreciated every detail and set the bar for TV and movie fandom. Star Trek fans, even if they don't collect actual uniforms and props, know more about what these props are like than any series which came before it. Those that do collect uniforms have educated the rest of us over the years about what these things are like. From 1975's "STAR TREK: Star Fleet Technical Manual" by Franz Joseph to 2015's book "Star Trek: Costumes: Five decades of fashion from the Final Frontier" and numerous books and resources in between demonstrate an interest in the actual costumes and props which goes beyond those who want uniforms for themselves. I have seen actual screen used costumes and props on display at various times. I've gone to conventions and enjoyed the costumes of others, I have even sat in on sessions talking about costume and prop replicas just to learn about them and appreciate them even though I had not plans to make or purchase costumes or props myself, but these 1/6 figures gives me a chance to appreciate these costumes in my home in a unique way and learning what I have about them over the years I appreciate all the accuracy that can be achieved at 1/6 scale.

Again the TOS uniforms on the Kirk and Spock figures are a great example. Some people complained about the color after seeing pics under various lighting conditions, but the prop accurate color is beautiful in hand and I know I am looking at a pretty accurate representation of what the uniform colors actually were. QMX did an amazing job of simulating the materials and textures at 1/6 scale as well. The fabrics of the pants and shirt are well chosen and the insignia patch and rank stripes are amazingly accurate looking at that scale. The boots are fantastic, and the tailoring, patterns, and construction of the uniforms as a whole are spot on. For instance the side panels of the shirt and how the uniform is actually sewn together that run down from under the arm are an amazing detail that could have easily been over looked, but it's inclusion marks an appreciation for the actual costumes not reflected in any other TOS Start Trek figure I am aware of. The tailoring on these are so accurate that I almost expected to find a hidden zipper in the shoulder near the collar which the actual uniforms had in order to take them on an off. Of course it doesn't have this, but my point is the uniforms look THAT good as if they are highly accurate replicas of the real thing but just shrunk down to 1/6 scale. What else can we ask for as 1/6 collectors?

So, QMX's love for these products have shown that they match the love of even the most dedicated fan and my only hope is that they maintain this same level of love, commitment and process to the rest of the line along with other licenses they may take on in the future. Honestly, I wasn't planning on collecting TNG figures as much as I loved those shows, but if the details of the uniforms (and the sculpts and paint apps) are as good as Kirk and Spock they will be hard to resist. The TOS figures give us museum quality replicas at 1/6, if the TNG figures do the same then I am likely in with those too. So, I am thankful for the prop accurate detail that is going into these and put my vote of confidence in QMX to give us the correct color uniforms and SO MUCH MORE.

I cant wait to see how far this line goes if these pieces are the beginning.

I think that means we'll see at least Sisko and Janeway. If they do data and worf, probably Riker and Geordi, too.

Some people complained about the color after seeing pics under various lighting conditions, but the prop accurate color is beautiful in hand and I know I am looking at a pretty accurate representation of what the uniform colors actually were.

Actually the Spock uniform colour was changed after people criticized it. The original colour shown was apparently "prop accurate" for the later knit fabric. nanjin explained all of the details of the choice and noted how it is not practical to make a good looking velour shirt at scale. He also said the Trek uniform 'enthusiasts' were outraged over QMx's change to a more screen-accuarate colour.

You also admit you can't actually do prop-accurate costumes at scale. There,s always concessions. I'm impressed by how much nanjin does manage to replicate, but adding the hidden zipper for example is not possible without spoiling the appearance. The rank braids, again, show the compromises that have to be made.

Actually the Spock uniform colour was changed after people criticized it. The original colour shown was apparently "prop accurate" for the later knit fabric. nanjin explained all of the details of the choice and noted how it is not practical to make a good looking velour shirt at scale. He also said the Trek uniform 'enthusiasts' were outraged over QMx's change to a more screen-accuarate colour.

Well, that sounds like a case the material itself (velour) effecting how the color is perceived, especially when used on something scaled down. They obviously don't use the same materials for 1/6 versions as the actual props because the look of the texture of the material (like velour) needs to be scaled down too. "Authentic" looking 1/6 clothing is almost always something which simulates the look of what it represents at 1/6 scale rather than what the actual costume is really made of. So, I can see having to adjust for how a color holds and is seen in various textures in order to try to simulate best what color it should be. I am fine with a slight adjustment for what we see on screen in such cases as a way to try and navigate the color when the actual materials used can be misleading. But it sounds like to me that the actual props were still used as vital reference point proving a baseline that "screen accurate" often can't provide for alone as color can look different from one screen to the next and under different lighting conditions. Sounds like the color choice was informed by both the actual props while also keeping in mind how the color is seen on screen too.

My point though was to disagree with the sentiment that "people who want prop-accurate uniforms can always collect uniforms. Since sewing at scale is even harder than normal tailoring, it's nice to get screen-accurate figures." I am not sure how we got sucked into this absolute "either/or" mentality, but I don't think we should just dismiss those wanting as much accuracy as possible to the actual props in a 1/6 representation because they "can always just collect uniforms" instead. As you say in my quote of you below, "there's always concessions" and I am pleased with the choices QMX has made in regards to Kirk and Spock in a way which is obviously informed by both the real props and what we see on screen. They have earned my trust when it comes to navigating how to best represent materials, textures and colors of the uniform. If they use the same process for TNG as they did TOS they will be fine.

You also admit you can't actually do prop-accurate costumes at scale. There,s always concessions. I'm impressed by how much nanjin does manage to replicate, but adding the hidden zipper for example is not possible without spoiling the appearance. The rank braids, again, show the compromises that have to be made.

Well, right. Of course. I was never suggesting they actually should do a zipper, just that the illusion of a shrunken uniform to 1/6 scale was so good that I almost (tongue in cheek) expected to find one. I of course knew in reality there couldn't be one and it would have never worked, but only mentioned it because it felt like they just shrunk the real thing.

So yes, I agree compromises are made because they most often actual accurate material wouldn't work at 1/6 scale and needs to be adjusted as much as possible for thickness, texture, color and I am sure plenty of other things too, in order to best simulate what its trying to represent in 1/6 form.

Well, that sounds like a case the material itself (velour) effecting how the color is perceived, especially when used on something scaled down. They obviously don't use the same materials for 1/6 versions as the actual props because the look of the texture of the material (like velour) needs to be scaled down too. "Authentic" looking 1/6 clothing is almost always something which simulates the look of what it represents at 1/6 scale rather than what the actual costume is really made of. So, I can see having to adjust for how a color holds and is seen in various textures in order to try to simulate best what color it should be. I am fine with a slight adjustment for what we see on screen in such cases as a way to try and navigate the color when the actual materials used can be misleading. But it sounds like to me that the actual props were still used as vital reference point proving a baseline that "screen accurate" often can't provide for alone as color can look different from one screen to the next and under different lighting conditions. Sounds like the color choice was informed by both the actual props while also keeping in mind how the color is seen on screen too.

My point though was to disagree with the sentiment that "people who want prop-accurate uniforms can always collect uniforms. Since sewing at scale is even harder than normal tailoring, it's nice to get screen-accurate figures." I am not sure how we got sucked into this absolute "either/or" mentality, but I don't think we should just dismiss those wanting as much accuracy as possible to the actual props in a 1/6 representation because they "can always just collect uniforms" instead. As you say in my quote of you below, "there's always concessions" and I am pleased with the choices QMX has made in regards to Kirk and Spock in a way which is obviously informed by both the real props and what we see on screen. They have earned my trust when it comes to navigating how to best represent materials, textures and colors of the uniform. If they use the same process for TNG as they did TOS they will be fine.

Well, right. Of course. I was never suggesting they actually should do a zipper, just that the illusion of a shrunken uniform to 1/6 scale was so good that I almost (tongue in cheek) expected to find one. I of course knew in reality there couldn't be one and it would have never worked, but only mentioned it because it felt like they just shrunk the real thing.

So yes, I agree compromises are made because they most often actual accurate material wouldn't work at 1/6 scale and needs to be adjusted as much as possible for thickness, texture, color and I am sure plenty of other things too, in order to best simulate what its trying to represent in 1/6 form.

Jesus I thought the new Harry potter book came out already

Have they talked possible release date for this yet? Kirk and Spock turned out great.

Release date for Kirk and Spock? I don't know when Sideshow ships because they just now added them to their website, but I "preordered" from QMX and they shipped 2 days later.

Yeah, I meant Picard. I already received Kirk and Spock through QMx. I was just commenting on how well those turned out.

:dunno
Yea okay, guess it was a little wordy, but I suppose people will just have to forgive me for typing about this 1/6 figures on a forum about 1/6 scale figures. :rolleyes2

Just a little, yeah. Nice sarcasm though, that's always appreciated on a 1/6 scale forum too.

Personally I'll take a thousand words from someone with a well considered opinion to express (regardless of whether I happen to agree with it or not) over any given one sentence post that clearly has nothing to say worth saying, and even less thought behind it.

After all, no one is forcing anyone to be here, much less making them read anything they don't want to, so taking shots at someone for perhaps being a little verbose (on a discussion forum, of all places) seems to be both rather silly and rather pointless to me, not that anyone asked.

a36.jpg

Incidentally, the only one that needed to know precisely what I'm on about is Jaymas, and I've already sent him a PM to explain.

Last edited:
Back