QMx 1:6 Star Trek: TNG - Jean Luc Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that picture looks nothing like the one QMx posted. I know you strive for great accuracy. I prefer the colour to trend towards red rather than wine.

It is literally the exact same figure. And the color is matched to screen used uniforms which can look very different depending on lighting.

Well that picture looks nothing like the one QMx posted. I know you strive for great accuracy. I prefer the colour to trend towards red rather than wine.

I used 5500k lightings (similar to what the studio used during filming) for the pictures that I took. When I first had the screen used uniform on hand, I questioned the color too. But do take note the differences between "set accuracy" and "screen accuracy".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'd prefer this version over the First Contact one. This uniform is way more iconic and I never liked the TNG film uniforms as much.

I like them both, I think the movie uniforms were more dramatic, but if they had difficulty recreating it at this scale I prefer the uniform that is more accurate. The tailoring on the earlier prototype could have been better.

I used 5500k lightings (similar to what the studio used during filming) for the pictures that I took. When I first had the screen used uniform on hand, I questioned the color too. But do take note the differences between "set accuracy" and "screen accuracy".

I understand where you are coming from, but what appears on screen is what is definitive. Matching the costume is somewhat misguided because costume designers explicitly choose colours based on how they look on film, not how they look in person. Digital film making drives home this point as well as anything: the actual costume is 0's and 1's.

I've been discussing these headsculpts with your collaborator from when he first commissioned them, I just prefer the red-dominate screen appearance:

CaptainPicardSpeech2.jpg

If the costume looks as purple as it does in the QMx pics, it may turn off casual customers who want the screen look. I want this project to succeed.

I understand where you are coming from, but what appears on screen is what is definitive. Matching the costume is somewhat misguided because costume designers explicitly choose colours based on how they look on film, not how they look in person. Digital film making drives home this point as well as anything: the actual costume is 0's and 1's.

I've been discussing these headsculpts with your collaborator from when he first commissioned them, I just prefer the red-dominate screen appearance:

View attachment 195765

If the costume looks as purple as it does in the QMx pics, it may turn off casual customers who want the screen look. I want this project to succeed.

From the data I collected, the majority of Star Trek fans prefer the actual uniforms color. If I am the marketing director, i will lower my net in this area instead of figure collectors. After all, precision figure collectors overlapping the ST fan base is very little comparing to the huge ST fans base as a whole. As a ST geek myself, i prefer the color being used. I was like you, preferred the reddish color over the burgundy at the beginning of the development. But the more i look at it the more i prefer the burgundy, and which was the color chosen by William Ware Theis and Gene Rodenburry. Another reason is everyone's TV screen is different. In this case, a precision Screen Correct color will be a random pick of reds. Yet, i am not the boss here, so i have no control over this. One additional note, this burgundy commanding color, changes color through out the day just like the Avocado Commanding color of TOS.

Last edited:
Are we headed for another Hoth-Han-style color debate?

But great work nanjin, the franchise is safe in your hands.

Does QMX have rights to the classic crew too? Love to see some movie versions of those.

From the data I collected, the majority of Star Trek fans 200k+ prefer the actual uniforms color. If I am the marketing director, i will lower my net in this area instead of figure collectors. After all, precision figure collectors overlapping the huge ST fan base is very little comparing to the huge ST fans base. As a ST geek myself, i prefer the color being used. I am like you, preferred the reddish color over the burgundy at the beginning of the development. But the more i look at it the more i prefer the burgundy, and which was the color chosen by William Ware Theis and Gene Rodenburry. Another reason is everyone's TV screen is different. In this case, a precision Screen Correct color will be a random pick of red. Yet, i am not the boss here, so i have no control over this.

What constitutes "actual uniform colour" is what we are debating. Is it what actually appeared on screen or what the prop was? I say "screen" every time.

Colour should evoke the correct impression of how a character appeared. I find it interesting that you yourself liked the red, which shows where that immediate sense of memory and emotional connection with the character lies.

I'm not doubting that you care in fact I deeply respect how much thought you've put into the process. I paint and dye fabric, so I take the matter very seriously myself. People are bound to have different philosophies.

Ultimately if the photos you supplied reflect the colour, then I can live with that.

What constitutes "actual uniform colour" is what we are debating. Is it what actually appeared on screen or what the prop was? I say "screen" every time.

Colour should evoke the correct impression of how a character appeared. I find it interesting that you yourself liked the red, which shows where that immediate sense of memory and emotional connection with the character lies.

I'm not doubting that you care in fact I deeply respect how much thought you've put into the process. I paint and dye fabric, so I take the matter very seriously myself. People are bound to have different philosophies.

Ultimately if the photos you supplied reflect the colour, then I can live with that.

This color debate had about 10 years+ history within the ST circle. But nowadays ST fans are majority settled on the burgundy. Believe me, with the burgundy, you actually have 2-3 different colors uniforms through out the day. This also applies to the Service Gold; it changes color through out the day. Then there is the "Teal" for Science division; looks like green when placed next to blue, and looks blue when placed next to green.

But if QMx chose Red over Burgundy, I will make my own for Picard and Riker. I already deeply in love with the burgundy after all these months [emoji51]

Last edited:
Dave will this be offered officially on Sideshow Collectibles- like Star Ace products? If so I am in.

Nanjin your work on this HS/ collaboration is just great!

Dave will this be offered officially on Sideshow Collectibles- like Star Ace products? If so I am in.

Nanjin your work on this HS/ collaboration is just great!

I am a very picky Star Trek geek. Like what I said in other of my ST figures posts. These ST figures are the products of ST fans. Even the phasers, phaser holders went through a lot of ST fans opinions beforehand. Is a projectt by Star Trek TNG Fans for Star Trek TNG Fans.

Very nice! Although I had issues with the First Contact uniform (my post about it seems to have gone away on the other, now closed thread though) I do like that uniform in general. This, however, I must admit, is certainly more iconic to me. The sculpt is great. It's something I'd definitely buy versus the rather off 1/6 one by DID. The tailoring looks great, to me, too.

The uniform color thing is funny. It's clear in that first pic the cold LED light is affecting the color. I really like the other pic posted, though. As a kid, I thought they changed the color a bit between Seasons 1-2 and Season 3 when they converted from the spandex one-piece outfits to the separate pieces. But I guess it could have just been the lighting set-ups seemed to get richer with season 3, too. In any case, I think the brighter, but still rich and slightly maroonish, color seems right. It'll be interesting to see what accessories he comes with. It'd be cool if his phaser and tricorder magnetically attached to his uniform to replicate the look on the series.

Little info here: The tricoder opens and closes; not using "2" tricoeders ��

Oooooooh. Love it!
Can you give a little idea on the holstering? Or is that too much info? Or TBD?

Wow, this looks really damn good!!

And the uniform color looks perfectly fine to me as well. I don't think it needs to be any redder at all (the new blu-rays might have amped up the colors a bit more, but this is still closer to how I always remembered the uniform as a kid).

The only thing I hope they fix on this is the tailoring of the pants. For some reason they seem to be looking just a bit too much like sweatpants there. :)

This is a dream. Congratulations nanjin! All those posts in the past about wanting the series uniform from season 3 or later and you saying it will be a long way off before you do the TNG episode uniforms. LOL!

Don't laugh, but I consider Playmates' Masterpiece Series version to be the best 12" Picard to date (yes, even better than the Dragon one!) Glad QMX will finally be giving us a high-end version...

picard_bg2.jpg

Back