PS4 OR Xbox One?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I realize everyone has different budgets .... but does anyone still use non HDTVs ?

And if you do, is a luxury item like a day1 release of PS4/Xone really part of your budget?

I realize everyone has different budgets .... but does anyone still use non HDTVs ?

And if you do, is a luxury item like a day1 release of PS4/Xone really part of your budget?

Thats a good question. These days, an HD TV can be had for far less than one of these consoles.

No doubt.

I remember the days when widescreen tvs were the oddball at the electronics stores.
"That 16x9 tv is wide, but it's also narrower up and down.... and cost twice as much as this much bigger 4x3 tv over here." :rotfl

I remember going straight out & buying a widescreen Tv when I was young thinking that you wouldn't get them black bars when watching DVD's. I was left disappointed :lol

I actually have a small Sony 15 inch tube TV in my bedroom :lol. But, I'd never use it for next gen gaming. That's reserved for my 60 inch set in the living room.

I remember when the Xbox 360 came out they had 32" Samsung LCD on the gaming pod and i went to price on and they were £1K
Now they are like £100.00.
I did not get a LCD straight away when the 360 came out as i thought it was a stupid fad type thing.
But like people say you can get monster size TV for the price of a console.
My next step is L.E.D and my 40" sony Bravia LCD does not even have 60HZ for some reason.

I would love that

What I'd really like is rather than 4k would be to have displays with a higher range. Right now it's 16.7million colors, if we can increase that you'd have better color quality (mainly getting rid of banding artifacts). And something like OLED or the micro-LED displays from Sony might even be able to control the illumination per-pixel since each pixel will be emitting light rather than a backlight that illuminates the whole display.

Screen tear is where it's set to render at a specific frame rate but it would need a bit extra time to render the whole frame so only part of the frame updates and you get tearing. They can get rid of it at the loss of the framerate.

That video isn't going to be a good comparison of performance, there's no PC GPU that is the same as what will be in the console and the console games will be much more optimized for that hardware than PC games are at the moment for current PC hardware.

Ahhhhh! i see sort of.
So it is not my TV or HDMI cable?
Like is say only certain games do it , some worse than others.
Worst offender as time shift for the XBOX 360 which i loved but like you say you could lower the frame rate in the setting s which made the game really slow.
Strange as i never remember getting this on my CRT when i had my 360 on it.
Also never got it on any other console.
Anyway it really ruins games for me and makes them beyond playable.

No doubt.

I remember the days when widescreen tvs were the oddball at the electronics stores.
"That 16x9 tv is wide, but it's also narrower up and down.... and cost twice as much as this much bigger 4x3 tv over here." :rotfl

I went from a flat screen tube to a 40' LCD HD. I couldn't believe how much more I could see on gaming huds compared to a standard TV. I'm glad I jumped on it before the releases like The Last of Us and GTAV.

Ahhhhh! i see sort of.
So it is not my TV or HDMI cable?
Like is say only certain games do it , some worse than others.
Worst offender as time shift for the XBOX 360 which i loved but like you say you could lower the frame rate in the setting s which made the game really slow.
Strange as i never remember getting this on my CRT when i had my 360 on it.
Also never got it on any other console.
Anyway it really ruins games for me and makes them beyond playable.

Yes, it's the specific game, sometimes they aren't optimized enough--like for instance on PS3, The Last of Us looks amazing with no screen tearing, but the first Uncharted game does have screen tearing even though it doesn't look as good, because it was the developers first game on the console and they didn't have as much experience in getting the most out of the hardware. Screen tearing is always a case of the console not having enough power to render the game fast enough.

I went from a flat screen tube to a 40' LCD HD. I couldn't believe how much more I could see on gaming huds compared to a standard TV. I'm glad I jumped on it before the releases like The Last of Us and GTAV.

Yeah same here i was pretty late getting a LCD as my TV was really good
and i would play COD4 online.
Then when i went from a 28" normal TV to a 40" LCD i thought to myself how the hell was i able to play online with that small TV.
I wish i had kept my normal TV for my N64 and SNES as they look crap on a massive TV but the older TV's are just too bulky.
I remember my buddy getting something called a rear projection TV and that was huge but amazing.

Yes, it's the specific game, sometimes they aren't optimized enough--like for instance on PS3, The Last of Us looks amazing with no screen tearing, but the first Uncharted game does have screen tearing even though it doesn't look as good, because it was the developers first game on the console and they didn't have as much experience in getting the most out of the hardware. Screen tearing is always a case of the console not having enough power to render the game fast enough.

Ahhhhh! i see exactly what you mean thank you for the info.
Just wish all games would sort it out:slap

So with the new consoles will there be screen tearing and bad FPS? They provide so much power since now the current consoles can't handle the power

Then when i went from a 28" normal TV to a 40" LCD i thought to myself how the hell was i able to play online with that small TV.
I wish i had kept my normal TV for my N64 and SNES as they look crap on a massive TV but the older TV's are just too bulky.
I remember my buddy getting something called a rear projection TV and that was huge but amazing.

I can't even fathom playing it any other way. I should of done this years ago.

So with the new consoles will there be screen tearing and bad FPS? They provide so much power since now the current consoles can't handle the power

Yes, it should......we should have way less of that......its been a while since I've encountered it myself - at least, on AAA title games

:exactly: The N64 and SNES output a native 480 resolution video which is exactly what the older TVs are. Now, with HDTVs being 720 and 1080, the video from those older consoles are 'upconverted' using fancy algorithm, but they will always look sharper (cleaner) on the old TVs.

The problems we see will still exist on the next consoles to some extent. This is mainly because developers are always going to be pushing what the hardware is capable of and making sacrifices to get the desired effect. They'll sacrifice 60 fps, or be willing to have some screen tearing or maybe even some pop up and weaker draw distance. Compromises are always made for priority things. Maybe it's a game where there's hundreds of characters on screen or the action is super fast or it's got a complex physics engine etc.

For example, CoD has one main priority that the developers never break. 60 fps. They can do anything they want in the games development as long as they can lock that fps. Most developers are willing to sacrifice 60 for a solid 30 if it means making the game look better. Better geometry, textures, physics etc..

Back