PS3 plus Surround Sound opinions.... (HELP!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lookin4Precious

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious if some tech folk out there could lend me a hand by offering their opinion on what the best options for Blu-ray Surround Sound partnerships are.

I currently have a PS3 that I have in my bedroom that I have been disconnecting and bringing downstairs into my living room whenever I want to screen a film in all its glory (TV in living Room is a 61" Samsung Rear Projection).

ANWAY... wanting to invest in a permanent Blu-ray player for the living room and am settled on just getting another PS3 (unless more educated minds can convince me that there are better options out there??) but want to know what surround system is most/best compatible with that system?

Though I was at Best Buy today and saw they have the new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player complete with Surround Sound and as a loyal Samsung customer, i have to say, it caught my eye too. I guess what it boils down to is I really need some direction here from those of you who are more aware in the technical arena than I.

Thanks in advance!

obviously a Sony brand receiver has the best likely hood to work with a Sony brand blu-ray player as far as using a single remote or whatnot, but I've got a pre-PS3 Denon receiver and it works great. Anything with an optical audio in is going to work just fine with the PS3.

I would personally stay away from all in one boxes. They usually never compare to piecing your system together. I have an older 5.1 channel receiver (that I really need to upgrade) but I have a set of Definitive Technology speakers surrounding me which are very sexy.

https://www.definitivetech.com/default.aspx

It also depends on how much you really want to spend.

I would personally stay away from all in one boxes. They usually never compare to piecing your system together. I have an older 5.1 channel receiver (that I really need to upgrade) but I have a set of Definitive Technology speakers surrounding me which are very sexy.

https://www.definitivetech.com/default.aspx

It also depends on how much you really want to spend.

Definitive Technology speakers offer arguably the greatest bang for your buck in the home audio world...GREAT CHOICE. Which model do you have? I am an audiophile, and have been for a very long time. The home theater in the box is good, but i 100% agree with SEXY, piecing your system will give you MUCH BETTER results than purchasing a theater in a box. However, the theater in the box give you the one stop shop for your home theater needs, you go to the store and ten minutes later you have surround sound with the floor shaking when the T-Rex walks and it will be MUCH less expensive than purchasing a reciever, front speakers, rear speakers, center channel and sub. Piecing your system together & matching components will give your system the personal feel/sounds you're looking for...kinda like your colleciton of statues & figures

Definitive Technology speakers offer arguably the greatest bang for your buck in the home audio world...GREAT CHOICE. Which model do you have? I am an audiophile, and have been for a very long time. The home theater in the box is good, but i 100% agree with SEXY, piecing your system will give you MUCH BETTER results than purchasing a theater in a box. However, the theater in the box give you the one stop shop for your home theater need, you go to the store and ten minutes later you have surround sound with the floor shaking when the T-Rex walks and it will be MUCH less expensive than purchasing a reciever, front speakers, rear speakers, center channel and sub. However, I always prefer peicing your system together, matching components to give you system the personal feel/sounds you're looking for...kinda like your colleciton of collectibles.

:rock :rock :rock

I currently have 2x BP7002, C/L/R2300, 2x BP2X

I went with the better towers upfront. I would like to upgrade my center at some point and also get the power surrounds at some point as well. I really need a new receiver first. I also wouldn't mind a supercube at some point. :D

Great speakers you got there. They literally rock the house.

What's your favorite DEMO scene, when showing /impressing friends, family...ect?

Great speakers you got there. They literally rock the house.

What's your favorite DEMO scene, when showing /impressing friends, family...ect?

I have one of those Demo disks I used to use but Saving Private Ryan is always good, so is the shoot out scene in Heat. One of my favorites those for demoing the pure surround ability is a scene in Gangs of New York actually in the first half when they go to Bill the Butcher's bar and they are singing some song. A lot of good moments that show off the surround back and forth.

Saving Private Ryan is a winner, Black Hawk Down is another winner, i believe it won BEST SOUND that year. Clear and Present Danger has one of the most impressive blasts...i believe Audiophile Magazine used it as a reference when testing new subwoofers. Also for serious low freqency rumble Master and Commander had a ton of cannon blasts that rattle the fillings outta my teeth. There are soooo many scenes in so many movies that are great for impressing first time audiences.

A personal favorite is in T2 where Arnold first confronts the t-1000 in the hallway. He says "Get Down" to John Connor then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. James Cameron said in that scene he used 3 cannons to get ideal gun blast he was looking for.

Saving Private Ryan is a winner, Black Hawk Down is another winner, i believe it won BEST SOUND that year. Clear and Present Danger has one of the most impressive blasts...i believe Audiophile Magazine used it as a reference when testing new subwoofers. Also for serious low freqency rumble Master and Commander had a ton of cannon blasts that rattle the fillings outta my teeth. There are soooo many scenes in so many movies that are great for impressing first time audiences.

A personal favorite is in T2 where Arnold first confronts the t-1000 in the hallway. He says "Get Down" to John Connor then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. James Cameron said in that scene he used 3 cannons to get ideal gun blast he was looking for.

Yea Master and Commander definitely rocks with some of that. I never think of T2 but that is a good one as well.

Back