Premium Format Princess Leia A New Hope 1/4 PF statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PVC head and hands, very nice! See ya, money saved, bye~

---
Deathmarks don't come with the rain.

Would love to get this and the painting, unfortunately I don't have a G to burn, guess I'll just buy the pf.

I'll wait for release and the discount. Hasn't made any sense to preorder for a little over a year now.

That is what I'm gonna end up doing probably, no need to really PO anything nowadays.

Love the sculpt on this it's beautiful but that price wow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I think it looks fantastic and don't care what it's made of, however the head does look a tiny bit oversized?

Ha! I just realized everyone has their left hand sticking out to the side. Is it the new Cap Morgan pose?
I do agree that this collection was a miss. Too much fabric and pvc. Wonky poses and likeness. Simple low bases. A mix of ESB and ANH doesn't jive well. Should be releasing these in collections by the movie so they go together. Prices are too high for what you get.

Ha! I just realized everyone has their left hand sticking out to the side. Is it the new Cap Morgan pose?
I do agree that this collection was a miss. Too much fabric and pvc. Wonky poses and likeness. Simple low bases. A mix of ESB and ANH doesn't jive well. Should be releasing these in collections by the movie so they go together. Prices are too high for what you get.

Totally agree with this, I remember someone asking on the SS website when Han PF was announced with the Falcon base. They wanted to know it the Chewie and Han bases would line up to make a large diorama. They said great idea, but no.

Wasted opportunity, if they would release 1 at a time that would make a nice large diorama, you would feel obliged to get each one wouldn't you?

The premium format head sculpts just get better and better.

I do agree with this.my issue however is craftsmanship.

When shelling-out this kind of cash on a piece, it's like buying a finely tuned vehicle. The basic Honda Civic, like a $200 PVC fabricated and mass auto-painted sculpt, can do the job. However, at a premium, you can buy enhanced features and craftsmanship. For a moment, throw out your current understanding of a PF and imagine being newly introduced to the hobby: what does a $600 Leia statue look like? What is it made of? What kind of off-the-chart awesomeness does it need to be?

What separates these pieces from basic dolls are the materials used, fabrication process, and limited circulation.

For materials used, the element of mixed media is critical as well as the highest grade of complex plastics, cloth, and metals. Mixed media should be used to accentuate a piece where a nicely executed sculpt cannot convey the essence of the piece. Guns should be metal. Knives and swords should be metal. A complex pose should be done through sculpt unless the character really calls for it. A $600 piece covered in cloth does not make sense. Textiles are, even when custom order and low quantity, inexpensive. PVC is the plastic grade used on commercial pipes because of its low cost.

Re the fabrication process, with a premium statue like a PF you expect a premium process. That includes (for me) that the sculpt is hand painted, the mold is broken, and the integration of mixed media elements is well executed by professionals. With pvc grade components, there is no one of a kind. All elements go through a process like a doll where the paint application is not executed individually by hand. PVC can convey exceptional detail however you are buying a $15 McFarlane toy process. I like that SS has accepted their past failures in executing premium texturing and facial features however for that kind of money the solution is to get better at it...not to find a cheap solution.

Re limited circulation we know what happens now with variants, do-overs, and much larger ESs so I won't get into it. All I have to say is that the larger the circulation per mold the cheaper the per-unit gets and the more inexpensive these pieces should be.

At $150-$250 I expect Honda.
At $350-$450 I expect BMW.
At $600 I expect Jaguar.
At $800 I expect even better.
$600 is a s***-ton of money. From outside this hobby if you buy something for $600 it's a relatively major purchase. I don't buy Civic production at BMW prices let alone Jaguar prices. I equate PVC and an overuse of fabric as "we didn't give a ****** when making this" and that helps me move-on and pass quickly.

Last edited:
Please don't say, "Ummmm".

Ummmm... I’ll say what I want. Thanks.

As for the sculpt, it’s not 100% there but it’s pretty close, beautifully done and much better than the original. A lot of whining about PVC but do any of you have the Rey or Jyn? Absolutely great portraits especially the Jyn. You should see them in person. If they continue to get results like that, I’m ok with it unless prices continue to rise without the quality rising. However, I do think the Leia is priced a bit much for such a simple piece.

I wouldn’t really call it whining. It’s a problem and should really be addressed.

If a company is to streamline its production process and use faster cheaper lighter and structurally weaker grade materials then the lead times to production and delivery should be cut and the retail cost should drop. We see statues taking longer at higher cost.

Does PVC face sculpts look outstanding? Yes. I’ve seen the Jyn and Rey pictures and I have to say they look great. But they are made with crappy materials.

SS was on the verge of starting to make great piec s with outstanding paint apps using the right products and decided to switch gears. The last released Red Sonja was a breakthrough product for them. I hope they disband this current course and go back to sculpting outstanding pieces and using solid polystone production materials. A white cloth with a PVC head at the top is not what I would expect from a company like SS at that price point. At $350 - $400 they have my attention.

Back