Statue Prime 1 Studio - Dawn of Justice- 1:2 Wonder Woman Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a high quality professional close up picture of the sculpt from front on, sculpt is looking down a bit though.

27067862_1069979656478673_992900165707402634_n.jpg

Apparently the owner is having trouble with the hair, says it needs a lot of fixing and doesn't know to fix it.

Last edited:
Wow I think she turned out great considering all the changes. She’s not perfect but she looks lifelike and there is definitely a Gal likeness. Can’t wait to get mine

I think in general (especially considering the price of 1/2 statues) there should not be so much confusion on whether this WM piece looks bad or awkward due to so many different reasons (ie. angle, lighting, which version sculpt we're talking about, how to handle the hair, what kind of camera is used, etc.) I really wanted to like this piece when it was first announced (Gal Gadot in 1.2 scale, who didn't want it to turn out amazing!) but again taking into consideration the price and real estate a 1/2 piece takes up there shouldn't be so many lingering questions about it.

For example with the LSF Dr. Doom (in my opinion) I didn't have an issue if it was 4K pictures or someone's crappy cell phone video at Comic Con because it looked good in every lighting, every angle, quality of picture/camera etc. Whereas this WM has way too many questions and variables that just scare me.

While this isn't my favorite of the four total WW offerings from Prime 1, I don't think comparing it the Doom LSF* is fair. Doom's detail came from his armor, which WW has some of her own, but it's not the focus of the criticisms: it's the skin. As mentioned in several other places, owners have only had a handful of releases at which to photograph the translucent resin skin at this scale and it's only been with male characters (Batfleck and Joker particularly, who have traditionally painted features on top of the resin, like beard scruff and makeup, which counters many of the lighting issues in the photography.)

I own translucent resin pieces at every scale (except 1:2, as WW was to be my first.) At 1:3, P1 has so far been the only company to convince me that's a preferable method because they paint/infuse the skin with color to replicate blush, veins, etc, in a way that doesn't seem feasible at smaller scales. But, because that paint is underneath the surface, light will easily bounce off of it and not get captured on camera, lending to a photograph that doesn't represent the in-hand product. While I understand there might be a bias from folks having spent the money on these things to say they're way better in-person, considering these reactions have been unanimous from people attending cons as well as owners after they ship, I would tend to believe them.

*which looks dated IMO, especially the unmasked portrait and too-slim body, seeing it in photos now when I used to dream of owning that piece when it debuted.

Not sure where you got the impression that the issue is about the skin, its about the likeness of the sculpt, sometimes it looks amazing, other times it doesn't, that is what tacticnf is talking about. As you know translucent resin will not have any effect on what the likeness of sculpt looks like in different conditions, but it will effect how well the the paint job will look etc. All the sculpts on Primes other 1/2 scale pieces look amazing, regardless of lighting, this is the only one that seems have a great amount of uncertainty.

Last edited:
Not sure where you got the impression that the issue is about the skin, its about the likeness of the sculpt, sometimes it looks amazing, other times it doesn't, that is what tacticnf is talking about. As you know translucent resin will not have any effect on the likeness of the sculpt, but it will effect how well the the paint job will look etc.

Please don't "as you know" me. That's disrespectful, although I'm sure you didn't intend for it to come across as such.

The skin does affect the likeness because lighting washes out the details. A few pages back, I regrettably went against the grain criticizing the portrait on this piece for looking haggard. The heavy lighting overemphasized the wrinkles and "aged up" the portrait in my eyes. Flash will have the opposite affect because it gives the statue an unnatural mannequin-look, which is hard to un-see. DC Collectibles' sixth scale statues overall have pretty well-done likenesses ruined by their combination of harsh paint on the eyes, lips, nostrils, etc. with the soft translucent resin. The way I can tell in either case, whether it's those or the P1 statues, if the likeness that's off or just the paint/lighting is when I or someone else mentions "it looks spot-on in profile view, but . . ."

It's very difficult to get likeness completely wrong at one angle, at least from my limited sculpting/drawing experience, and right at others. It seem pretty obvious that in profile, where the face shapes, like the nose bridge and lips, are most prominent, those would be less affected by factors outside of the sculpt.

Please don't "as you know" me. That's disrespectful, although I'm sure you didn't intend for it to come across as such.

Sorry about that, you are right it wasn't my intention.

The skin does affect the likeness because lighting washes out the details. A few pages back, I regrettably went against the grain criticizing the portrait on this piece for looking haggard. The heavy lighting overemphasized the wrinkles and "aged up" the portrait in my eyes. Flash will have the opposite affect because it gives the statue an unnatural mannequin-look, which is hard to un-see. DC Collectibles' sixth scale statues overall have pretty well-done likenesses ruined by their combination of harsh paint on the eyes, lips, nostrils, etc. with the soft translucent resin. The way I can tell in either case, whether it's those or the P1 statues, if the likeness that's off or just the paint/lighting is when I or someone else mentions "it looks spot-on in profile view, but . . ."

I meant the translucent resin can't effect physical things like the likeness such as the size, shape of eyes, or Jawline for example. However, you are right by washing out the colors etc photos can make Translucent sculpts look look worse to a certain degree from all the details you have mentioned above.

It's very difficult to get likeness completely wrong at one angle, at least from my limited sculpting/drawing experience, and right at others. It seem pretty obvious that in profile, where the face shapes, like the nose bridge and lips, are most prominent, those would be less affected by factors outside of the sculpt.

Maybe, but like I said this is the only 1/2 scale I have seen that doesn't look as good IMO as the other 1/2 scale ones do. Depending on the angle and distance it can go from amazing to looking ok. I have not seen such discrepancy with the other 1/2 Prime sculpts.

Last edited:
Sorry, my device isn't great with multi-quotes. I'm gonna bow out, as I just don't find the likeness debates constructive. I will say, for anyone serious about purchasing actor-likeness statues, it's helpful to follow the sculptors on Instagram and ArtStation so you can see the digital renders and, from your experience with companies' paint apps, you can get a better feel for how the product will look in-hand compared to photos. For example, I remember seeing Matt Black's render for the Pfeiffer Catwoman PF and noticing the eye positioning was off from the beginning, so unless Sideshow fixed that in production (which they aren't known to do) nothing was going to save the likeness on that, as much as I admire Black's other works.

James Marsano, from my DC Collectibles point, is an especially apt example IMO, because even his comic-based pieces are sometimes affected by the paint to the point where one would suspect the sculpt was as fault. I would say one thing that unites each of his three attempts at Gadot's likeness (and two for Cavill) is that they are recognizably the actors from the profile view. This front view of one of his Gadot pieces look atrocious, for example, whereas the side view for the Cavill is at least Cavill, although I'm sure we could nitpick small things here and there. When I see them in-person however, and can move the pieces around/move around pieces to see the facial structure as a whole, it's almost always the paint/lighting that's to blame.

Hossein Diba's (who sculpted WW) Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/hossein.diba/

Finally a high quality professional close up picture of the sculpt from front on, sculpt is looking down a bit though.

View attachment 390283

Apparently the owner is having trouble with the hair, says it needs a lot of fixing and doesn't know to fix it.

I LOVE that pic- the hair looks good to me and that IS Gadot- just the expression is abit dour

I do agree that Len's distortion can do some strange things which is why I am only going by the video I saw of it by that guy who put her together and the other video of it next to the WWUE one, since so far people have yet to take professional pictures of the head sculpt from front on. I just want to make one thing clear, I don't think the sculpt on this sucks, far from it, I think it looks fine from what I have seen, it just looks less feminine looking than the 1/3 scale sculpts.

I don't see how it could look any better in person as it looks perfect from what I have seen in pictures & videos. Does it look more life-like in person?

YES and more realistic as far as pose and textures that look like 1/1 scale- overall impression is amazing

I LOVE that pic- the hair looks good to me and that IS Gadot- just the expression is abit dour

The hair should be parted sideways at the crown, instead of one part being lumped over the middle, like I said before the owner says he having difficulty with it and actually list it as a con with this piece. Anyway I don't think there is any question if that is Gal, the question is whether or not the likeness to Gal is as good as Primes other Gal pieces. I like that pic to but I am still on the fence about getting this, looking forward to seeing more high quality pics and videos of this though.

YES and more realistic as far as pose and textures that look like 1/1 scale- overall impression is amazing

I see, well it still looks amazing in pictures and videos.

Last edited:
I dont know what I'll do with that hair. I might just have to pretend she got the call to action first thing in the morning.

Cmon SSC- get this in! I imagine we are over a month away at the earliest to it hitting our shores...

Once again great pics tofmovie, likeness looks pretty much spot on in those close up pictures, it's just seems to be reduced when the pics are taken from a distance.

Last edited:
Back