Statue Prime 1 Studio - 1/4 Scale - 90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you won't get scurvy!

giphy.gif

lol, I always wanted scurvy...

I would like to think most collectors such as myself are more concerned with our statues holding it's value, rather than going up in price, and reselling them in the aftermarket. Especially in this point in time in this hobby, where you spend retail, and when the time comes to let go, you can't even get back the money you spent. Thats my concern, and reasoning for wanting low edition sizes. And heck, if they rise in value, its only a bonus!

The value never really bothered me really, all I want to do is gather some of my fave movie pieces growing up, and the recent movie pieces that are coming out. Statue's like Sauron, some of the prime 1 pieces like optimus when I manage to get hold of him, there is no way I could sell him because of how fragile the piece is. I could see it breaking trying to ship it out, so once I have something like optimus, he will never be moved on. Seeing these 90's turtles now will be released by prime 1 next year, it really does bring out the excitement has a collector. The idea of knowing the pieces you buy increase in value, but there is no way I could sell pieces that expensive and fragile

Just curious, is everyone on here relatively well off? I'm starting to notice everyone on here just buys bascially anything that comes out. I guess I'm the only one who as a budget.

I'm extremely rich. I'm actually running for president and got the republican nomination not to long ago.

Just curious, is everyone on here relatively well off? I'm starting to notice everyone on here just buys bascially anything that comes out. I guess I'm the only one who as a budget.

This is an interesting question. The truth is you will never know who actually buys anything. People may say they do, and even click the PO button pay a NRD, and feel good about it, until they think about it months later in which they cancel.

The key with buying anything in life is to not allow emotions surround what you buy. Step back, and calculate if this is something that you can either afford to make payments on, or even better simply open a separate savings account that is dedicated to collecting.

Many people feel that collecting has value, and use it as a personal retirement fund thinking their pieces will hold the same value as what they paid, or even increase. In the short-term if you are a person who swaps out pieces frequently, then most likely you can sell and get at least what you paid for. You may have to eat shipping in some cases. For the long-term only a very few pieces will truly increase where there is potential to make a tiny profit. Truth is companies are producing more of each piece than in the past. ES is pretty much out the window at this point. This is good because all of us can enjoy these pieces without worrying of them selling out.

For me personally I enjoy this hobby, as I have had many throughout my life. The money I spent on customizing my cars, motorcycles, is something I never get back when I sell the vehicle. The key is I have memories of everything that surrounded those hobbies. I look at this hobby the same way. I never count on getting my money back on any of these Statues. This is money I have saved which is in my eyes gone when I click the payment button. I pay with a credit card to get credit card rewards, but use my "Statue Savings account" to pay the balance at the end of the month. I feel good about actually owning each piece free and clear of debt.

Hey lotus, I appreciate your feedback. I'm kinda the same way, I rarely buy a piece of art or collectible for the intention of making money. I might occasionally sell one of my pieces if I grew tired of it, but that rarely happens. I guess that sort of makes me ultra selective when it comes to purchases. Plus my house is small, so I'm totally out of space. It's just I have been really amazed at how well received the price spikes were by the community.

Prices are based on a lot of factors. Depending on where you live the cost of living has been increasing and as SSAlex has explained, production costs are ever rising and will continue to do so. The prices we may have been accustomed to in the past are just that, things of the past, I can foresee prices over $500 becoming the norm and one day being prices we look back on with envy as we see premium formats head towards the $600 mark. These turtles are actually priced lower than some people guesstimated and I think because we prepared for 600+, or at least I did, the price was a relief haha.

I buy statues that bring something to be that's more than just an art piece but a small piece of nostalgia. ES doesn't matter as much to me but what that piece does for me. Although price is a consideration, the prices haven't risen to a point where I'm completely priced out, I have the 2.2k Optimus. As long as I can afford it responsibly with hobby funds and my wife won't kill me, I can get it.

I guess it's all about supply and demand. Why stop the price spikes when people are willing to pay. Makes business sense to me.

Nope! I find this hobby to be a real indulgence, and not one i'd want to continue for life on an average salary. I've got a window of opportunity, and am looking at about 4-5k all-in. Decided to sell my Hot Toys (of which I have 10) in favour of a small collection of impressive Alien/Predator/Terminator/Robocop/Jurassic Park pieces. Maybe a couple others.

If I wanted to collect for life, it'd need to be NECA for me. (or one 300ish statue a year or something)
Key is -buy what you can afford, or are happy to spend.

Back