Prequel Trilogy fan over 12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darthviper107 said:
I don't have a preference-----I like Star Wars.
Presicely. I was 3 for ANH, 6 for ESB, and 9 when ROTJ came out. I like Jar jar. I like Hayden. I even like Hayden's Ghost better than Shaw's at the end.

I agree that for the most part the "I hate PT crowd" is a very vocal minority.

Star Wars brings people together!!

Let's take a trip through memory lane, bringing back the flood of emotions that we felt when seeing these wonderful films for the very first time...*

The first time we see Darth Vader still manages to bring a chill:

"That's no moon. That's a space station."

Red Leader: "Eject! Eject!"
Porkins: "No, I'm all right. Don't wanna spill the Colonel's secret recipe!"

Leia: "Where are they taking Han?!"
Lando: "Han's as cool in the carbonite as a nice chilled Schlitz Malt liquor."

"It's a TRAP!"

"Meesa thinks your gonna die!"

"Ex-squeeze me!"

*These were all gathered from previous posts and I don't remember who posted them originally so unfortunately I can't provide the proper credit due.

FlyAndFight said:
Star Wars brings people together!!

Let's take a trip through memory lane, bringing back the flood of emotions that we felt when seeing these wonderful films for the very first time...*

The first time we see Darth Vader still manages to bring a chill:

"That's no moon. That's a space station."

Red Leader: "Eject! Eject!"
Porkins: "No, I'm all right. Don't wanna spill the Colonel's secret recipe!"

Leia: "Where are they taking Han?!"
Lando: "Han's as cool in the carbonite as a nice chilled Schlitz Malt liquor."

"It's a TRAP!"

"Meesa thinks your gonna die!"

"Ex-squeeze me!"

*These were all gathered from previous posts and I don't remember who posted them originally so unfortunately I can't provide the proper credit due.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

darthviper107 said:
Although, if we must be specific---it's the story of a little droid named R2-D2 who went and saved a galaxy:r2d2line
Right on, R2-D2 was my favorite as a kid.

I can't remeber exactly how old I was but I know exactly what movie theater it was. I have to guess i was maybe 4 since I remember seeing Empire shortly after. Then I watched it over and over on the worst copy ever, that one of Dads students got for me. I still prefer the OT, I like Stormtroopers better , but I think some of the sceens where they CGI in tons of clones in formation are cool looking and would have been a huge headache to do with live actors.

I was 10 when Star Wars was first came out and saw it in the theater 11 times sometimes taking the bus myself to get their. My oldest daughter is 11 and there's no way in hell I would let her go to the theater herself to see a movie. Oh my how times change. :(

That being said, it's all Star Wars. I don't separate it into PT and OT.

Oh and by the way, this thread makes me feel old. :eek:

Star Wars is the first movie I remember having seen in the theater as a kid, and I grew up on the OT. I enjoyed the prequels as well, and I am not 12.

tomandshell said:
Star Wars is the first movie I remember having seen in the theater as a kid, and I grew up on the OT. I enjoyed the prequels as well, and I am not 12.

I can confirm Tom is not 12. He is a solid 15-16. :lol

I've always wondered why the community is so splintered over this... It's wierd. I've seen people of all age groups be on either side and it boggles the mind.

I grew up loving Star Wars, having seen Jedi when I was 6 or 7 (the rerelease) and I kept up with it through the quiet years right up until 'Heir to the Empire' came out and got people interested again. Right on through the return of the toys and into the SE versions. Like many others, the idea of new SW films excited me.... A LOT. The thought of actually seeing the famed "lava duel" was something I wanted to see more than anything.

When they did come out... I had a few gripes but nothing substantial. I loved the new movies almost as much as the originals. Hell, ROTS I liked better than all except Empire.... So I never understood the divide. Why other fans snickered when I expressed that I liked them all. It's all Star Wars... and as Pickard said... It's the story of Obi-Wan (& Anakin)... How can you not like it? :lol

:chew OT+PT=SW :chew

About clones vs stormies, a lot of it to me is aesthetics. Clones are indeed COOLER... but because they exist in the frickin computer, make them so not-as-cool as stormtroopers.

I like it when filmmakers try to make things as real as possible. I appreciate them that much more. Which is why I will always embrace the original trilogy over the prequels.

I'm a little late to this game, but I just played Battlefront II and thought that it was really cool. It helped me see the clone troopers in a whole new way, and appreciate them more. However, I really only like the regular white version, and blue 501st clone troopers. To me the clone war troopers became too flashy and militarily too unrealistic in their color design. I starting feeling that I was watching Voltron or power rangers. Who's leading this army Rainbow Bright? :rotfl

IMO, the OT troopers were by far cooler in conceptual art and design. :D

Coheteboy said:
About clones vs stormies, a lot of it to me is aesthetics. Clones are indeed COOLER... but because they exist in the frickin computer, make them so not-as-cool as stormtroopers.

I like it when filmmakers try to make things as real as possible. I appreciate them that much more. Which is why I will always embrace the original trilogy over the prequels.

Indeed. There's no way the Cantina scene or Jabba's Palace would have looked as good with mostly CGI creatures in the background instead of people in costumes or elaborate puppets such as Jabba himself. For all the hate they get for being "too cute" even the Ewoks looked more convincing than all the CGI characters simply because they were physically on set with the other actors. By comparison the Clone sequences in the PT looked like they were from some videogame instead of a live action movie and maybe if a few more sets been fully built the performances from certain PT actors would have been better as they would have been able to get a decent grasp of how to interact with the environment/other characters instead of having to imagine them against a sea of blue or green screens.

pickard said:
I find it annoying that everyone assumes fans of the prequel trilogy must have been too young for the originals.

This comes up frequently when OT fans are responding to PT fans. The most recent was when one poster here said that he preferred Clone Troopers to OT Stormtroopers. (So do I.) Someone immediately replied that the poster must not have grown up in the 80s.
I grew up with the OT and I prefer the clones. At least they could hit what they aimed at and were believable as competent, efficient soldiers. Stormtroopers are more like the Keystone Coppers.

I think the OT and PT mirror each other. They both have two good movies (ANH, ESB, AOTC and ROTS) and two mediocre movies with a more juvenile feel (ROTJ and TPM). The biggest problem with the PT imo is too much story crammed into too little time. I also found Anakin's seduction to the darkside rather unsatisfying.

Good rant! Ah... the NPR radio broadcast takes me back.

What I love most about the PT is how it changes the OT. It's like watching Fight Club for the second time -- you know that the two characters are one guy. When watching the OT now, it's not Darth Vader as the black & white bad guy that he was in '77. He's Aniken. He's the main character.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I also found Anakin's seduction to the darkside rather unsatisfying.

Y'know?... me too... I was listening to the ROTS soundtrack in the car today and as it played I imagined scenes in my head, the way I would have made them... and I have to say... it could have been a little more emotional and dark. They dipped into it for a moment at the beginning and end of the duel, as well as Obi's visit to Padme when was hunting Anakin... But I still think they could have played it up a little more.

Anakin knew what he was doing, he HAD to be able to sense that Palpatine wanted him to do evil things. Even though they made sense to him at the time and he thought he could save Padme.... He knew killing his friends and destroying the Republic was going to be "not good". In the movie as it stands he was not emotional enough, and Obi-Wan deserved more explanation than just....

"I've brought peace and stability to my new empire..."

"If you are not with me.... then you are my Enemy..."

I would think that two LIFELONG friends would have more to say to one another while they fought. Vader seemed to have PLENTY to say to his son when he fought him on Cloud City... and he knew almost NOTHING about him.

I know it's a bit of Nerd Blasphemy... but I would have loved to see what ROTS would have been like through the vision of Peter Jackson. He knew how to great good drama, make grown men want to cry... He would have done those scenes justice.

disclaimer: ROTS is one of my favorite movies.... so remember... I am not bashing it at all.... :D

gdb said:
It's like watching Fight Club for the second time -- you know that the two characters are one guy. .

Well, there goes the ending to Fight Club. Guess I probably shouldn't watch it now. J/K :chew :chew

DarkArtist81 said:
Y'know?... me too... I was listening to the ROTS soundtrack in the car today and as it played I imagined scenes in my head, the way I would have made them... and I have to say... it could have been a little more emotional and dark. They dipped into it for a moment at the beginning and end of the duel, as well as Obi's visit to Padme when was hunting Anakin... But I still think they could have played it up a little more.

Anakin knew what he was doing, he HAD to be able to sense that Palpatine wanted him to do evil things. Even though they made sense to him at the time and he thought he could save Padme.... He knew killing his friends and destroying the Republic was going to be "not good". In the movie as it stands he was not emotional enough, and Obi-Wan deserved more explanation than just....

"I've brought peace and stability to my new empire..."

"If you are not with me.... then you are my Enemy..."

I would think that two LIFELONG friends would have more to say to one another while they fought. Vader seemed to have PLENTY to say to his son when he fought him on Cloud City... and he knew almost NOTHING about him.

I know it's a bit of Nerd Blasphemy... but I would have loved to see what ROTS would have been like through the vision of Peter Jackson. He knew how to great good drama, make grown men want to cry... He would have done those scenes justice.

disclaimer: ROTS is one of my favorite movies.... so remember... I am not bashing it at all.... :D

None of us are really bashing it because we ALL love Star Wars. It just hurts when things aren't as good as they can be. It's like having a friend say "i'm going to knit you a sweater and it's gonna be better than the ones I made for Banana Republic. Then you get it and it's not long enough, has a ton of holes, and some colors don't match with the rest. Plus some of the threads are the wrong material altogether. You still like it because your friend made it, but it sucks.

Back