Predator 2 Lifesize bust (Coolprops)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because he preferred acrylic not painted eyes? Or because the eyes are so close to each other?

I know. I've been following the forums for a couple months, just didn't start posting. I swear this hobby is going to be the death of me.... I always wanted to get into the statue collectibles though....................and ironically enough....................ever since I saw a full predator 2 statue replica in New York on vacation when the movie released. I was like seven lol, and hear I am..........debating on buying this predator 2 bust lol.

As for the eyes. I definitely do think they should have used Acrylic eyes. I have the Pop Culture Shock Akuma life size bust, which used Acrylic eyes and separate cast teeth and I can tell you, those little things definitely can take a great bust and put it even more over the top! I think everyone has seen this pictures I'll post right here, but I'll talk a little more by what I mean. predator_eyes_1.jpg predator_eyes_2.jpg

I think what is hurting the eyes the most is that the yellow in the replica is coming off kind of flat. It doesn't look like it has a lot of layers/color variation in that part of the iris. I also feel that it would have benefited from more/and also stronger fades on the inner edge of the iris as well as the outer edge. If you look in the picture from the film, there is definitely a lot of fading/bleeding on that outer edge, using several colors (purple, red, blue) and then they all fade into that yellow. Also the veins in the eyes look like they need to be layered more to give it that sort of depth. In the movie picture you can see a lot of different veins, some stronger than others, while others prob faded out through opacity which gives it that depth.

Now don't get me wrong this is an incredible sculpt and paint job, it's just for some reason the eyes stand out to me and don't necessarily look up to par with the excellence of the rest of it. As for the sclera part being all purple, I don't mind that, that if anything was a creative choice, and I think whether they used purple/black/mixture of both it was a good direction to take it.

And had there not been so many others on my list of possible buys, this might not have even mattered much, as I'm pretty sure this is the best predator 2 bust that's out there to buy right now. I am a little wary though, because I'm just catching on to this piece this week, I haven't seen it before. I know the pre-order is probably only going to be open a little while longer, as it looks like this is going to actually ship soon.

The pictures on Sideshow are of the prototype, which I believe does have acrylic eyes? Correct me if I'm wrong people, I forget.

I'm sure we'd all love acrylic eyes, I think they should be standard on everything 1/2 scale and up personally. But I don't think they look too bad on this guy. Aside from the dreads which are questionable, this will probably be the best P2 bust we'll ever see released. I think people will regret missing out on this down the line.

I tell you what I definitely feel they knocked out of the park was the teeth. Pretty much the whole mandible area really. They might have done the teeth, mandible area better than the actual movie version. There is so much detail there. It's definitely a key selling point, I'd be surprised if they said they didn't put a lot of their time into that area.

Errrr.... Can't decide to buy or not. So I will wait for in hand pics since there's no Es anyways. Who knows might get a deal later anyways. Looks great so far.

Just curious, does anyone know what the average selling price of the sideshow predator 1 life size bust goes for these days? Only reason I ask is so I can compare with where this might be a few years from now. I looked back at previous posts and might have seen the number 4K-5K but I don't know if that was actually for this statue or something else I was looking at.

I searched ebay but didn't see a lot of them up for sale.

That's the point. They're rare because they were limited.
Who knows how many CP will make?...

Can't really compare future values and that's the worst reason to buy imo.

As for the eyes. I definitely do think they should have used Acrylic eyes. I have the Pop Culture Shock Akuma life size bust, which used Acrylic eyes and separate cast teeth and I can tell you, those little things definitely can take a great bust and put it even more over the top! I think everyone has seen this pictures I'll post right here, but I'll talk a little more by what I mean. View attachment 276129 View attachment 276130

I think what is hurting the eyes the most is that the yellow in the replica is coming off kind of flat. It doesn't look like it has a lot of layers/color variation in that part of the iris. I also feel that it would have benefited from more/and also stronger fades on the inner edge of the iris as well as the outer edge. If you look in the picture from the film, there is definitely a lot of fading/bleeding on that outer edge, using several colors (purple, red, blue) and then they all fade into that yellow. Also the veins in the eyes look like they need to be layered more to give it that sort of depth. In the movie picture you can see a lot of different veins, some stronger than others, while others prob faded out through opacity which gives it that depth.

Now don't get me wrong this is an incredible sculpt and paint job, it's just for some reason the eyes stand out to me and don't necessarily look up to par with the excellence of the rest of it. As for the sclera part being all purple, I don't mind that, that if anything was a creative choice, and I think whether they used purple/black/mixture of both it was a good direction to take it.

And had there not been so many others on my list of possible buys, this might not have even mattered much, as I'm pretty sure this is the best predator 2 bust that's out there to buy right now. I am a little wary though, because I'm just catching on to this piece this week, I haven't seen it before. I know the pre-order is probably only going to be open a little while longer, as it looks like this is going to actually ship soon.
That's fair. I also wish they did acrylic with the eyes (as a matter of fact, they did say they would use it very early when this was announced). However, the painted eyes wasn't enough to push me away from buying simply because the overall presentation was very good. Also, the painted eyes are not bad. They still look very good under scrutiny even if not entirely accurate.
They did a great job with the veining and layering of colors inside the mouth. That's another aspect that makes the mandible area one of the best.

Since I have seen both versions with and without acrylic eyes in person, as I mentioned before, almost no difference.
The prototype with acrylic eyes showed in 2015 wonderfest looks even more dull than the production sample they showed in this year winter wonderfest.
I had to look so close that my nose almost touched the city hunter's mandible in order to finally confirm the prototype was using acrylic eyes.
To sum up, they used very dull acrylic eyes and they were not great.

Just curious, does anyone know what the average selling price of the sideshow predator 1 life size bust goes for these days? Only reason I ask is so I can compare with where this might be a few years from now. I looked back at previous posts and might have seen the number 4K-5K but I don't know if that was actually for this statue or something else I was looking at.

I searched ebay but didn't see a lot of them up for sale.

I picked one up in Belgium 1 week ago for just 1150 euro.
Such a friendly price.
I've seen the bust sell for twice or triple the price comparing to mine.

Yea only reason I am asking is not because I intend to sell it or anything, but just accumulating data on how much it would cost if I waited third market. It's tough because now If I go head first into this it now has me thinking of searching out and possibly buying the blade 2 reaper bust as a contender. Ultimately I would love to have both.

Darkmummy,

Since you have seen the bust in person with both versions, I'm just curious as to your personal opinion on the eyes. Not counting whether they were glass or acrylic or anything. Did you like them/ not like them? Did they compliment the model/ or stand out a little at the time when you viewed them?

Kinda shocked this PO hasn't hit Waitlist yet. I have to assume most people are waiting for in hand pics and quality reviews before jumping on this.

You guys are making this tough on me. I was just spending time this morning looking over this bust again. I have to say too, I saw some live footage when it was showcased earlier this year at some booths, and after seeing it, I felt I may have been a little overly critical on the eyes. They seemed to compliment it fine. I don't know, maybe it was the way some photos were taken with the lighting. Overall though, it really is great bust. If I did get this I would be sure to put mini LED display lights around it like Cool Props did in some pictures.

Back