Statue Predator 2 City Hunter 1:4 Maquette.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The people on these boards for the most part really have no clue on the state of the industry from a manufacturers and factory side or any idea on painting or at least the process of actually doing it convincingly. To try and state that the P1 or the wolf have perfect paint jobs is laughable they are good even very nice, but not perfect or even at the top, as far as painting can go. Out of 5 stars I would say the wolf and p1 are 3.5-4 but they do have rooms for improvements.

as was said on the other boards the game is different now from a manufacturers side and the factories are charging more and most wont even do a pred paint job anymore. If they where to do it and do it really well this piece would have been 2000-2500 bucks easy and everyone would have cried about that price. Gone are the days of a 1k pred paint up that looks really good.

take it as you wish but I have ordered this and have the p1 ill take nice side by side pics when I get it.

Given what I've heard/learned from this forum and new pictures/video I still like what I see, but overall it is what I see in hand and how I feel about it when sitting on my shelf that truly counts.
However, not going to lie that it's been a little disappointing to see fellow collectors in this forum (indirectly or directly) bashing each other stating their personal prejudices disguised as "their simple opinions" on what's great or not but that's life. Best of luck to everyone here; and as always happy collecting!

Max Power

Sideshow Collectibles Predator 2 Ex Maquette Review - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The people on these boards for the most part really have no clue on the state of the industry from a manufacturers and factory side or any idea on painting or at least the process of actually doing it convincingly. To try and state that the P1 or the wolf have perfect paint jobs is laughable they are good even very nice, but not perfect or even at the top, as far as painting can go. Out of 5 stars I would say the wolf and p1 are 3.5-4 but they do have rooms for improvements.

as was said on the other boards the game is different now from a manufacturers side and the factories are charging more and most wont even do a pred paint job anymore. If they where to do it and do it really well this piece would have been 2000-2500 bucks easy and everyone would have cried about that price. Gone are the days of a 1k pred paint up that looks really good.

take it as you wish but I have ordered this and have the p1 ill take nice side by side pics when I get it.

I agree with you.
Will get mine today but I have already decided to send it out to a good painter to make it better. Its worth spending more money on it to make it better. As it is to me its already worth more with a better quality paint job. Most of you guys who collect these appreciate a good Pred paint, so I assume the price will be worth it at the end even if I decide I am no longer interested in this line.
If I am going to get only one Pred and keep it, I want to like it for a long time to come.

I agree with you.
Will get mine today but I have already decided to send it out to a good painter to make it better. Its worth spending more money on it to make it better. As it is to me its already worth more with a better quality paint job. Most of you guys who collect these appreciate a good Pred paint, so I assume the price will be worth it at the end even if I decide I am no longer interested in this line.
If I am going to get only one Pred and keep it, I want to like it for a long time to come.

Good for you. Hope you like the end result.

(* and at LEAST get those quills added as well! *)

If your advanced knowledge of the industry and painting makes this a better purchase for you personally, then good for you, genuinely. However, all of that stuff you just mentioned is completely irrelevant for most people, it couldn't matter any less in fact. All that matters is that they are paying $1200 + shipping and taxes for this thing, and they made their purchase based on the pictures on the website two years or so ago, the state of the industry doesn't even come to mind when making such a purchase. Quality and value for money does. I don't think this offers value, that much is clear, whether it offers the quality or not is up to the individual to decide.

If your advanced knowledge of the industry and painting makes this a better purchase for you personally, then good for you, genuinely. However, all of that stuff you just mentioned is completely irrelevant for most people, it couldn't matter any less in fact. All that matters is that they are paying $1200 + shipping and taxes for this thing, and they made their purchase based on the pictures on the website two years or so ago, the state of the industry doesn't even come to mind when making such a purchase. Quality and value for money does. I don't think this offers value, that much is clear, whether it offers the quality or not is up to the individual to decide.

Oh yeah :goodpost:

Averone, are you going to do a video review? Always interested in your thoughts, plus your video reviews are great and helpful.

Definitely not for me.
Bad paint and black netting not good.
Also don't like the static pose.
Doesn't mean others will not love it.
To each his own.If you want a large scale P2 statue...this is it.

What you said is correct and I agree with you, but some people on here are being purposefully ignorant to the reality of the situation. For the casual fan not on the boards and sees the piece, what I said is a moot point. They will get it or not and to them they won't, most likely, be bothered by the flaws or paint.

But on the forums its different, your here to be more involved in the community and hopefully learn about the pieces and the processes behind them. Expecting a perfect paint job is nonsense, you should expect a good paint job and I believe that was delivered with what I have seen in pics. It's been stated for months why at least the paint is the way it is. It boils down to cost and the fact most factories don't want to paint preds, much less for cheap, and most customers are not willing to shell 2500 or more for a piece. That's the reality of it and trying to put the blinders on does nothing to change that.

If you like it then you will if you don't you don't to each their own.

What you said is correct and I agree with you, but some people on here are being purposefully ignorant to the reality of the situation. For the casual fan not on the boards and sees the piece, what I said is a mute point. They will get it or not and to them they won't, most likely, be bothered by the flaws or paint.

But on the forums its different, your here to be more involved in the community and hopefully learn about the pieces and the processes behind them. Expecting a perfect paint job is nonsense, you should expect a good paint job and I believe that was delivered with what I have seen in pics. It's been stated for months why at least the paint is the way it is. It boils down to cost and the fact most factories don't want to paint preds, much less for cheap, and most customers are not willing to shell 2500 or more for a piece. That's the reality of it and trying to put the blinders on does nothing to change that.

You're not wrong, but I think you're ignoring a number of points:

1) First of all, this comes with a highly inaccurate sculpt. It's pointless to circle around this point, it's the straight truth. While paint job is very variable for a number of reasons, there's absolutely no reason why an officially licensed company with access to all the necessary material couldn't nail some major portions of the sculpt - talking about the two head sculpts (both wrong) and the spear, the most iconic weapon of this character. I think that, to start for, people would be more merciful towards the paint app if this came with a more accurate sculpt.

2) The usual proto vs production piece debate. This piece was shown at SDCC with a certain prototype, then went on preorder with pictures of that same prototype, then a gallery of production pics was shown with a downgrade and then the actual piece arrived in hand - with yet another downgrade. Now, we both know that expecting the same prototype finish is not realistic and so on. But I think that there's a certain degree of difference that's acceptable and a certain degree that becomes too noticeable and much less acceptable. It's easy to live with your female PF that has less shades on her cheeks and slightly different makeup around the eyes than the prototype. It's not exactly the same thing when your 1200$ statue comes in with a super dull paint app all over the body, markings that look like done with crayons, "eyebrows" stripes that are embarassing to look at and so on. Which brings me to the next point:

3) These things are marketed and priced like "high end collectibles". They're not sold like "average collectibles that might be good if you keep your expectations low", or something like that. This might be my personal opinion but some things you either do them good, or you don't do them at all and let someone else step in and make them properly. Even then, I have yet to see the proof that the above mentioned "current state of the industry" doesn't allow companies to achieve a certain quality standard. If Sideshow priced this at 1200$, it means that they did their math and were expecting to put out something good and make profit out of that price point, not 2000 or 2500$. Their very art director, Igo, stated on the other board that they were going full force on this project to make things right. Now, given that they surely didn't go full force on the sculpt and it was clear from the start (see point 1), it was reasonable to suppose that they were going full force at least on the paint app. And, next point:

4) Things are official when they're official. It's one thing to come on the forum and see people saying "the paint job won't be as good", but you can never know until the piece is released. You said that it's "been stated for months why at least the paint is the way it is". I've been on both boards and I don't recall a single official Sideshow statement about it. Lots of speculation between fans, but I'm not buying this piece from you, or Python or some other user. I'm buying this from Sideshow. So either someone from Sideshow gives me an official reason (and I make my purchase choices accordingly), or it's all hearsay and speculation. It's WAY too comfortable to keep customers in the dark and then, when things are done, point out that this or that was stated months earlier... by a complete stranger on a forum with no affiliation whatsoever to the company.

And all of this is not to shot you down cause I've read many of your posts on both boards and you put lots of thought in them, paired with personal knowledges and facts gathered from various companies' reps. But overall I just think that this piece had too much of a messy production in too many areas - first the very sculpt, then the cancellation and re-order with no fixed issues, then the talks about decals, the high price tag... you put them all together and it's pretty much a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Another great post from El Mule (and I'm NOT picking on you Darb - promise!)

I think it's awesome (brilliant for those to my East) that we are so passionate about the character.

Even though we have different opinions, I see valid points AND facts in most peoples posts (excepting those that are rude or arrogant).

Hope it continues to stay friendly :)

Never planned on doing this...but i just went ahead and bought it this moment. Yes, the sculpt is not 100% perfect, but i think it will be another 2 - 3 years until we see an appropriate Predator 2 piece this large (statue wise), for the moment this will be a good extension to my Predator collection. The video of BMR productions really convinced me.

The overall presence and first impressions is very good. Though: Big no-go on the sculpt of the biomask and probably the paintjob will bug the hell out of me. The quills i'd like to add on as a little customizer job if I find a person here locally who's able to do this. Maybe I'll also to some weathering on the wristblades...they look to clean.

Well got mine today

Its for me, and my first one and yes there is much to look at here. Yes its a keeper.
Some of you might bash it but I dont return things and have ability to improve it so no I am keeping mine :)

Back