Predator 1 Bio Mask

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few pictures before I destroy mine.

Dwy2rhq.jpg

TURN DOWN THE PRESSURE!

TBM28qV.jpg

n94OI1N.jpg

Xw68Pnr.jpg

i4Ixwmq.jpg

The mask looks very nice.

Yeah, I think the last picture is a nice angle for it. Up close it looks bad casting wise but stand back and it isn't bad at all. I do think mine has a half decent paint app compared to some, blast marks aside which are just drips blasted out of an airbrush. I would like to have one, but it just isn't worth the risk getting another...

Yes...on your pics the mask looks good.I would add some paint in some areas(around the blastmarks)..that they would look more realistic.
Is the stand heavy and massive like on the other sideshow-predator masks?

Yes...on your pics the mask looks good.I would add some paint in some areas(around the blastmarks)..that they would look more realistic.

No, it is plastic, light and bendy, very disappointed with it. The strong point of this one is the initial sculpt by Matt.

Hey Kroenen, if you're curious to see how it can look with a slight repaint check out page 39. I posted some pics of mine after I added some of my own weathering on top of the base paint job by Sideshow. Makes a pretty big difference for me.

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on that one. :cuckoo:
Not to knock anyone's work at the Hunters Lair (I enjoy a little prop building myself as a hobby), but I'd much rather have an officially licensed replica for my money. Especially knowing one of the original FX artist who helped create this iconic character was involved in the process like Matt Rose was.

So the paint was not very well done, I can deal with that and actually enjoy the process of adding my own touch to this replica. It didn't cost me one extra penny to do it, and I'll never have doubt about this piece. I've made it my own. When I look at it on my wall as part of my collection, I'll have a sense of pride and accomplishment. Hey, technically... I now have worked on a Predator mask with one of Stan Winston's original Predator FX artist. lol Never thought I could say that..

and I like the sound of it. :yess: :lol

Again, its not 100% perfect, but looking at these comparisons below.. I think its the closest I've seen out there yet. Hell, I even love the look of stand/wall mount. :dunno to each his own.
View attachment 153640View attachment 153641View attachment 153642

Yeah, with your amazing repaint job it looks great... unfortunately many of us don't have the skills or experience to refinish a product that should be ready to display. If I had repaint skills I would probably purchase one now... but instead I will hold off. I own the SS wolf mask and I am shocked to see how they seem to drop the ball on every other mask... thank goodness they at least got that one right. Sell me yours and I'll get one now.

Hey Kroenen, if you're curious to see how it can look with a slight repaint check out page 39. I posted some pics of mine after I added some of my own weathering on top of the base paint job by Sideshow. Makes a pretty big difference for me.

I saw that...very nice.I will to the same with my mask.
I really like the overall look of the mask...but when the quality is so extreme bad...:dunno

@Python:Hm..that sounds not good.But when it can hold the mask stable on the wall its ok.

About the paintjob..I think its better as on the very expensive one from HCG:

20510799fq.jpg

@Python:Hm..that sounds not good.But when it can hold the mask stable on the wall its ok.

I guess so, It doesn't make or a great first impression but ultimately it doesn't effect the look once you stand back, unfortunately it doesn't hold the mask in my case.

About the paintjob..I think its better as on the very expensive one from HCG:

20510799fq.jpg
Wow! You know I never looked into the mask from HCG much, beyond the price for it when it was announced. Way too expensive in my opinion. Never really saw any pics of the final product.. until today.. and people are complaining about the paint on the Sideshow model?!? Yikes! Than thing looks way worse to me. That looks like cheap plastic with almost no weathering at all. :slap

I get that the base is cool, and they at least attempted to make up what the inside of the mask might look like. But that paint on the mask itself is way worse than Sideshow's in my opinion. :dunno

photomay24211140.jpg

Having said that, Sideshow's paint is definitely disappointing. lol

I like the HCG one although I do wish they had done a version with a simple stand like the rest, at least the lenses are correct. I always lower my expectations for paint apps on these things now.

The HCG P2 stunt is excellent also, can be seen in my pictures next to the SSC P1.

Riggs, you have any of Termokk's masks?

I haven't had one of his masks but know some who have. They're decently made but considered on the small side for some costumers. Someone with a smaller build could easily fit them. The same goes for his bios etc. Maybe 25% smaller than the norm.

I like the HCG one although I do wish they had done a version with a simple stand like the rest, at least the lenses are correct. I always lower my expectations for paint apps on these things now.

The HCG P2 stunt is excellent also, can be seen in my pictures next to the SSC P1.

The HCG P1 has great reflecting lenses and molded details inside.But I don´t like the stand(looks not good together with the other masks) and the weathering.A lot overpriced.

Soooo... out of curiosity, for those who purchased this mask and contacted Sideshow about the dissatisfaction with it...

Particularly the rough spot near the hose ports, how did they address that concern with you? If you don't mind sharing.

I'm curious.

Well, they didn't really mention that part in their response. I provided them with several photos of the problematic areas.

They weren't able to offer me a replacement, I was told they were out of replacements (funny, the same day the mask went from being 'waitlisted' to 'buy now')
Instead I was offered a full refund if I'd return the mask, or receive a $50 credit on a future order if I kept it - which I accepted, since I was able to fix most of the issues myself. They did advice me to try out using some museum putty on the stand to keep the mask from wobbling, but no word on how to deal with the hose ports area.

Soooo... out of curiosity, for those who purchased this mask and contacted Sideshow about the dissatisfaction with it...

Particularly the rough spot near the hose ports, how did they address that concern with you? If you don't mind sharing.

I'm curious.

Hmmm... well I sent them an email back when I first received mine, before I was sure I would keep it. Made it a point to show the rough spot among other the flaws like the stand wobble.

I don't want to bash Sideshow, but their response actually made me pretty upset as a collector. In regards to the badly cast spot near the hose ports, this was the response / explanation they just gave me today...

"Please know these masks are cast from the original props used in the films to maintain accuracy. After comparing the pictures, I believe any mask I could provide would be similar to yours on the left side."

:slap:mad::gah:

I don't know if he was misinformed, or just flat out lying to me, but I don't like it. Any Predator geek, especially one that is willing to spend almost $400 for a mask most likely researches said replica before purchasing it and this one was pretty widely known to be a new sculpt by Rose.

So to try and excuse the bad shape on the fact it was "cast from the original", is pretty lousy. Not thrilled with them at the moment. I was curious if they said that to anyone else that complained about the shape of this mask. :slap

You're not gonna get any type of credit for that my friend..
We'll see about that.. Maybe, maybe not.
I was not that concerned about it before because I had decided to keep mine after I had sent the email off to them with my concerns.

But...
after seeing them try to imply that this rough spot is not a defect, or poor quality control, but is in fact a flaw from the "film used" prop they "cast" it from??
When I know that's NOT the case. Hell, their own site boasts about how this is a brand new sculpt. (Which I pointed out to them in my response)

I don't like being lied to or treated like an ill informed idiot.

I'm making it pretty clear in my response to them, how unhappy this makes me. Being this is my first purchase from them.. It's not a good way to start.
We'll see what comes of it.

It's more about the principle of it now, if the product has a flaw.. Then just own up to it and be honest. Don't lie to your customer and try to excuse the poor quality.
Their response honestly upset me more than any of the flaws the piece has. :gah:

Back