Post Your 1:1 Helmets and/or Props

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Licensed stuff is cool. But not the most accurate. You can get a better version of almost any licensed prop, helmet or studio scale if you know where to look.

Except the vader concept helmets ;p there's only a few out them there and most of them are in the rounded style and not of the best quality. The best one by far imo is the EFX one.

Some people like licensed items. I for one do myself. And I can wait as long as it takes, have other lines and companies I collect too.

So does this mean the RS pieces are unlicensed? From an outsider's perspective it looks to me like there is the choice between a 600 US scout helmet available soon vs a 600-800 dollar scout helmet from Efx available whenever in the future?

So does this mean the RS pieces are unlicensed? From an outsider's perspective it looks to me like there is the choice between a 600 US scout helmet available soon vs a 600-800 dollar scout helmet from Efx available whenever in the future?

Unlicensed, though Star Wars helmet replicas from the UK are a bit odd in that technically you don't need licensing (though not able to sell to America technically).

So that explains why they passed on C7 but attend other shows like those shown. Thanks for the info.

So I finally got the Mace Windu saber. And naturally there is no case. :crying

I am not doing the whole return process again and trying to find a THIRD one. So now I need to find an MR style case to fit in with the others. Any ideas where I should start?

So I finally got the Mace Windu saber. And naturally there is no case. :crying

I am not doing the whole return process again and trying to find a THIRD one. So now I need to find an MR style case to fit in with the others. Any ideas where I should start?

If it's just the cover just measure and get one made, they're not too expensive.

Except the vader concept helmets ;p there's only a few out them there and most of them are in the rounded style and not of the best quality. The best one by far imo is the EFX one.

You have to remember the McQuarrie helmets are only made from concept drawings, not really from screen used helmets. When talking about screen used helmets and their reproduction RS Prop Masters are ... the masters.

Plus you forgot about this McQuarrie Vader helmet version, which I prefer to the EFX version any day - a concept made by Joe Johnston for a party for Grant McCune:

mcquarrie vader proto 00.jpg mcquarrie vader proto 02.jpg mcquarrie vader proto 03.jpg mcquarrie vader proto 01.jpg

Unlicensed, though Star Wars helmet replicas from the UK are a bit odd in that technically you don't need licensing (though not able to sell to America technically).

RSPM can sell in all over the world, no problem.

Maybe they should call there line (Real Legends) :)

Nah, the Legend name too demonetized now... :p

You have to remember the McQuarrie helmets are only made from concept drawings, not really from screen used helmets. When talking about screen used helmets and their reproduction RS Prop Masters are ... the masters.

Plus you forgot about this McQuarrie Vader helmet version, which I prefer to the EFX version any day - a concept made by Joe Johnston for a party for Grant McCune:

View attachment 184386 View attachment 184383 View attachment 184384 View attachment 184385

RSPM can sell in all over the world, no problem.

I've seen that design and the helmet kits I've seen of it weren't amazing IMO :( but personally I much prefer the design that EFX went with.

Yeah RS can ship worldwide (I made sure to ask :p) but I doubt they are licensed to do so.

Licensed stuff is cool. But not the most accurate. You can get a better version of almost any licensed prop, helmet or studio scale if you know where to look.
Yeah, more research and accuracy goes into unlicensed since it's usually a smaller run and limited. But I can wait for EFX and like having that official stamp of approval. Just my preference but RS does amazing work but waiting for EFX. Plus gives me plenty of time to save.

I've seen that design and the helmet kits I've seen of it weren't amazing IMO :( but personally I much prefer the design that EFX went with.

Yeah RS can ship worldwide (I made sure to ask :p) but I doubt they are licensed to do so.

My favorite McQuarrie Vader remains the one shown above, from the duel with Luke. If EFX had made that, I would have bought it. And of course RS is not licensed. But the quality it top notch, Stormtrooper helmet made from screen used, Scout from production made. Not much cleaning up, compared to MR and EFX so far.

Yeah, more research and accuracy goes into unlicensed since it's usually a smaller run and limited. But I can wait for EFX and like having that official stamp of approval. Just my preference but RS does amazing work but waiting for EFX. Plus gives me plenty of time to save.

Some will go only for licensed and I have no problem with that. Playing safe is a way of collecting, to each his own. I'll give you just a few examples: a real demilled Sterling converted as Stormtrooper blaster compared to MR E-11, SL Darth Vader compared to EFX Legend, real Graflex/MPP conversions compared to any MR/EFX lightsaber, Boba Fett blaster made of real Webley compared to MR version. EFX are saying a lot of things about their Legends, even some things that were proven not to be what claimed. Some customers easily closed their eyes, just because it was "licensed".

And remember official stamp of approval was also put on the Rubies Stormtrooper :slap... I didn't even go in the studio scale realm to make comparisons between licensed and "fan made". Personally I would trade my Legend Vader instantly for a SL. I would sell any MR saber for an unlicensed one made with real parts, just like the prop seen on screen.

As I've said before the fan made collectibles most of the times are made by talented professionals who care about the items they are creating and adding a bit of their soul in each prop. The licensed ones are made in China, in factories where other things are made, and by people who have no idea, nor care about any of the things they are making. Most are simply workers in a paint factory who assemble something on a conveyor.

I don't mind unlicensed though I also tend to prefer idealized stuff ^^ But I definitely want the RS scout (I also want their sandie), there aren't a lot of options and it looks awesome and who knows when EFX's will release ><

Idealized is good from time to time, but don't get used to it, it'll make you forget the true OT and go the PT route :D

hey pros......

Im thinking to get me a Vader helmet... budged is limited .. so I was wondering and thinking between an Darth ugly ESB helmet or an Portumac ESB helmet..

any suggestions would be great ! Thanks a lot !

So does the unlicensed stuff generally sell for less on the aftermarket if you have to/want to sell it? I guess that is my concern, plus you prop people use too man abbreviations for people like me to keep up with which makes it that much harder to figure out who made what or what you are buying. This is one appeal of the licensed brands. But I have to say the table setup of RS is really mind blowing.

I would go for a Quasimodo ESB V.2 They are amazing and affordable as far as Vader helmets go. Made by the same guys who make the Darth Ugly, but made to be very close to the screen used originals.

the RPF

Good luck man, have fun

hey pros......

Im thinking to get me a Vader helmet... budged is limited .. so I was wondering and thinking between an Darth ugly ESB helmet or an Portumac ESB helmet..

So does the unlicensed stuff generally sell for less on the aftermarket if you have to/want to sell it? I guess that is my concern, plus you prop people use too man abbreviations for people like me to keep up with which makes it that much harder to figure out who made what or what you are buying. This is one appeal of the licensed brands. But I have to say the table setup of RS is really mind blowing.

No, within the right circles/boards, the fan made stuff especially the RS products should maintain their value.

we like abbreviations ;) in all seriousness though I know it can be confusing to a newcomer to the fan made prop world, but after a while you wont even notice.

hey pros......

Darth Ugly or Quasimodo hands down. Superb helmets.

Depends on the items. There are unlicensed props, helmets or studio scale that sell for a small fortune. Props and studio scales made from original parts are always more expensive than their licensed counterparts which are just simple replicas with molded parts. A friend of mine recently sold his Sterling conversion and got almost twice as much as you would get for a MR E-11.

A MPP flash Vader saber conversion sells for tons of money, not to mention a real grenade Obi saber. But even most of the regular helmets or other props hold their value if made well. For names you need to take a crash course. There are a couple threads on whitearmor.net (501st FISD) and Rebelscum explaining what those abbreviations stand for.

Back