Posing tips

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacitusKilgore

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Greetings, I am looking for some tips,
I know how to create realistic poses but often I seem to be unable to manipulate the figure to recreate a pose I see online, do you people have any secret tips on how to push the limits of a figure without breaking it? I know about removing the fatsuit but that's about it and some of the poses I see on the hot toys blogger photos I also struggle with, seems like my figure has less articulation though I know this is not the case.

Best wishes

I know how to create realistic poses but often I seem to be unable to manipulate the figure to recreate a pose I see online, do you people have any secret tips on how to push the limits of a figure without breaking it? I know about removing the fatsuit but that's about it and some of the poses I see on the hot toys blogger photos I also struggle with, seems like my figure has less articulation though I know this is not the case.

Best wishes
A couple of things you can try:

Either strip a figure down to the body or just buy a body and go through all of the possible articulation especially with the shoulder, the swivel there, and noting if a figure is single jointed or double jointed at the elbow. You can get a better understanding that way.

The instructions can help when they tell you how far you can push any particular point.

It can take time to get good poses. I think some people are just naturals at it, but I’m not, and some poses can take hours. So patience is important. I can do something, not totally be happy with it, and then a couple of days later, you have a eureka moment.

But often you just can’t get a figure into exactly the pose you want, because figures just don’t have the range of humans.

HT and others probably use various tricks to make their promo figures look better than what we can ever do like more articulated bodies, different clothing material, removing fatsuits or even photoshopping.

A couple of YouTube channels to recommend:
Terry Smith (has his own plus How To Be A Poser on the SS channel)
Posing with Peter is terrific but he sometimes has long breaks
Figure Posing Channel
Jedha Patrol and One Sixth Scale Man are great at posing, they don’t do specific posing tutorials but sometimes do posing challenges or just show poses.

There is also a great thread on here that has some good tips:
https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...ips-and-tricks-to-better-your-figures.231074/

A couple of things you can try:

Either strip a figure down to the body or just buy a body and go through all of the possible articulation especially with the shoulder, the swivel there, and noting if a figure is single jointed or double jointed at the elbow. You can get a better understanding that way.

The instructions can help when they tell you how far you can push any particular point.

It can take time to get good poses. I think some people are just naturals at it, but I’m not, and some poses can take hours. So patience is important. I can do something, not totally be happy with it, and then a couple of days later, you have a eureka moment.

But often you just can’t get a figure into exactly the pose you want, because figures just don’t have the range of humans.

HT and others probably use various tricks to make their promo figures look better than what we can ever do like more articulated bodies, different clothing material, removing fatsuits or even photoshopping.

A couple of YouTube channels to recommend:
Terry Smith (has his own plus How To Be A Poser on the SS channel)
Posing with Peter is terrific but he sometimes has long breaks
Figure Posing Channel
Jedha Patrol and One Sixth Scale Man are great at posing, they don’t do specific posing tutorials but sometimes do posing challenges or just show poses.

There is also a great thread on here that has some good tips:
https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...ips-and-tricks-to-better-your-figures.231074/
Wow thank you very much my friend for the detailed response; I will check out all of these guys and ideas many blessing!

Best wishes

I'll repeat a tip I got from an overseas dealers years and years ago.

Get some inexpensive bodies and a dremel. Practice and experiment on cutting away some sections of the body. For example, if you want a figure going prone, it might help and look more realistic to shave down part of the chest. Or to get the right leg position for prone, it might help to actually cut off the leg, and pose it inside the pants. The body inside the uniform/clothing can look like anything, it doesn't even need to be a whole functional figure. Another example is holding a rifle, the buttstock will look differently if you cut down around the shoulder area. Since a uniform and maybe a vest is over it, no one can see it.

Just a thought. Get some cheap bodies and play around.

Good luck. Merry Xmas.

Back