Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the score was bad, I think it all fit pretty well for the film, but some of the lows were because of the scenes. Compared to the scores of the other 3 Pirates movies it lacked, but again, this film was unlike those. It lacked those big, grand cues like the other films, but there weren't any big, grand moments in this one like those either.

I feel like OST is almost a set up film. I know the story is stand alone, but I feel like they kept it smaller on purpose because the last film was so big there was no way to go up from there. Now that we've had a breather with #4 the can start ratcheting it up again.

Saw this in 2D today and really liked it. Was it as good as the first one? Far from it, but I enjoyed it.

Anyone stay for after the credits?

I literally never walk out of a movie theater until the screen goes black or goes back to ads.

And I'm not just using "literally" to make a point. I truly never do.

I feel like OST is almost a set up film. I know the story is stand alone, but I feel like they kept it smaller on purpose because the last film was so big there was no way to go up from there. Now that we've had a breather with #4 the can start ratcheting it up again.

I think they toned it down cuz of 3 as well, but I think they went a bit too far and didn't have to quite simplify it so much.

Problem is, that's an opinion.

I don't mean to but in, but KOTKS is a whole 'nother level of crap.

If nothing else, On Stranger Tides at least felt like it was from the same series.

Thing is thats an opinion too. KOTCS for me is a better film by a good distance and felt like an Indy movie. This did not have many of the aspects to me that made the other 3 so much fun.

I'm pretty sure they'll do another....

With the box office haul this weekend, its all but announced at this point. And since Depp loves being Jack, there should be no problem getting a 5th and 6th film done IMO. Pretty sure I heard Bruckheimer or someone hoping this would be the start of a new trilogy. I just hope they don't film 5/6 back to back like they did with 2/3. Whenever they do that, its just a big "TO Be Continued" type of thing like the Matrix. I'd prefer them to be stand alone stories, with some minor setup like how the end of AWE set this one up or how BB set up TDK.

I don't mean to but in, but KOTKS is a whole 'nother level of crap.

If nothing else, On Stranger Tides at least felt like it was from the same series.

KOTCS set pieces were 100 times more enjoyable than most of the ones in this movie.
I think the Mermaids scene was the only time I sat up and took notice

Last edited:
I'm just listening to the score and I must say that I like it quite a lot! I like the fact that you hear a lot of familiar themes, only slightly different and in this Spanish-guitar-type-music, if you know what I mean! :rock :rock :rock

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

i watched On Stranger Tides yesterday, the most impressive is the mermaid who is beautiful and evil:)

Thing is thats an opinion too. KOTCS for me is a better film by a good distance and felt like an Indy movie. This did not have many of the aspects to me that made the other 3 so much fun.

You know what they say about opinions... :monkey3

KOTCS set pieces were 100 times more enjoyable than most of the ones in this movie.
I think the Mermaids scene was the only time I sat up and took notice

Not sure what you mean by "set-pieces". All I know is that KOTCS was way too over-blown to feel like a Indy film. The grandiose CGI stuff is what ruined it for me. Didn't match up to the special effects of the first three at all, and felt like a it belonged to a totally different series.

The one exception would be the beginning of the film. I loved the scene in the warehouse where Indy says "I thought that was shorter" when he falls into the jeep. That whole scene was great. Funny, exciting, and in-camera stunts - just like an Indy film should be.

But the digital fire-ants, and the savior monkeys and the spaceship at the end. Ugg. Gag...

I don't need massive amounts of digital effects to enjoy a pirate movie. I agree that the mermaid scene was the only big CG scene. I said as much to my wife. But that in no way diminished the film for me.

I think some of us are so desensitized by eye-candy that we can't think straight.

Love the saucer in KOTCS. The greaser monkeys, ants and cuddly prairie dogs were poop, though. And the cgi alien was much worse than the classic saucer image. It basically starts to come apart at the seams in the 2nd Act (Peru).

Still a better film than OST, though.

You know what they say about opinions... :monkey3

True. Some just try to post theirs as fact.:monkey3

Like I said pirates was at best an average movie. I was really let down by how average it was. Comparing it to kotcs isn't that close for me as I enjoyed that film much more.

IMO the films are not even close.

Pirates Problems :

weak dialogue
no pirate ship battle
not enough blackbeard backstory
Angelica underutilized

CS Problems :

weak dialogue
Prarie Dogs
Pacing Issues
Nuclear Explosion
Killing Henry Sr.