Pippin's Scarf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this retailer on eBay: https://cgi.ebay.ca/Flat-wide-athle...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c6ca24c6

According to the listing, the shoelaces are 10mm in width, which is 1cm (approx. 3/8"), and 120 cm in length (roughly 47"). Does that width seem appropriate? How long would each section of lace need to be for one scarf, keeping in mind that the fringe's length should also be included in the calculation?

I figure I can buy a few pairs of grey laces and have them cut and stitched at the fringe ends if anyone's interested. I'll try my hand at replicating the scarf's pattern with markers, but you can choose to do that yourself, if you have a steadier hand (or sharper eyes).

I'll post some pictures once I get the prototype completed. At that time, I'll offer up any extras for Freaks interested in buying one. Price should be negligible - just enough to cover postage and maybe a buck for material.

Okay, I'm ready to order the laces for the scarves. I found two different colours, and two different widths; I'd like your input.

Colour-wise, I can choose between light grey and dark grey:

https://cgi.ebay.ca/SILVER-GRAY-50-...1806453?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item588d8acef5

https://cgi.ebay.ca/DARK-GRAY-50-FA...7141898?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2eb485798a

Personally, I think the light grey is a better match. As for width, these seem to come in either 3/8" or 3/4", and I'm not sure which is the better choice for this project. 3/4" might be too thick to hang properly on the body.

What do you guys think?

Okay, I'm ready to order the laces for the scarves. I found two different colours, and two different widths; I'd like your input.

Colour-wise, I can choose between light grey and dark grey:

https://cgi.ebay.ca/SILVER-GRAY-50-...1806453?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item588d8acef5

https://cgi.ebay.ca/DARK-GRAY-50-FA...7141898?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2eb485798a

Personally, I think the light grey is a better match. As for width, these seem to come in either 3/8" or 3/4", and I'm not sure which is the better choice for this project. 3/4" might be too thick to hang properly on the body.

What do you guys think?

I would say 3/8", light gray. :)

Haven't gotten around to it, yet. There didn't seem to be much interest in the idea, to be honest.

Update: I just ordered a pair of gray laces from South Korea and will share the results of my attempt once it has been completed.

Last edited:
Okay, I received the laces from South Korea yesterday and I think they're going to do the trick. What's more, I think I'll be able to make 10 scarves with a single pair of laces.

First, I'll get all the reinforcing stitches done in grey thread, then I'll cut all 10 scarves. I'll post pictures once that's been done and offer up the other 9 for sale if anyone wants one at the same time.

I should be receiving my Merry and Pippen heads in the mail shortly, so I'll try to get these done as soon as possible. The Fellowship is nearly complete!

I am also interested in Pippin's scarf. I have an extra Sam and Frodo for custom Pippin and Merry figures. I'm getting the head sculpts for Pippin and Merry from zkulptor. So how much should the scarf cost for Pippin? I am new to this thread. Thanks! :wave

I am also interested in Pippin's scarf. I have an extra Sam and Frodo for custom Pippin and Merry figures. I'm getting the head sculpts for Pippin and Merry from zkulptor. So how much should the scarf cost for Pippin? I am new to this thread. Thanks! :wave

I have no idea in regards to pricing at this point, but it should be quite low. I'm thinking $10 or less shipped in North America, and a buck or two more for overseas.

It really depends on whether I have to pay someone to do the sewing.

Update: The scarves should be ready by next week. I finally found someone to do the stitchwork (thanks, mom!), and have settled on a length that I feel will be roughly equivalent to how the scarf is worn on-screen.

If anyone's curious, I've chosen a length of 22.5 cm, which includes a 1 cm fringe on either end. That should give enough length to go around the neck once, do an over-under knot, and then hang roughly 3/4 of the way down his front.

Its definitely not screen accurate or anything... but I was going through my custom bits and found that the 12" Hasbro Hoth Han Solo figure came with a decent 1/6 scarf. Here's an image... could be a cheap stand-in, or maybe even one that could be altered a bit with color to look more Hobbitesque:

hanhoth1.jpg

The scarves are done! Scale-wise, I think the shoelaces are a better fit than any of the other alternatives. Naturally, they'll be even nicer after the pattern and fringes have been coloured in with a marker, but I feel they look good enough even without the decoration.

I have 9 scarves left for sale, if anyone is interested. You'll need to fray the ends yourselves, but it's very easy to do with a small hook or some similar tool. I used the end of a corkscrew from a Swiss Army knife and it worked like a charm. The stitch line prevents the threads from fraying beyond the 1cm fringe, so it's pretty much foolproof.

Cost including shipping would be $5 for Canada and the continental US, and slightly more for overseas depending on location. Note they'll be shipped as standard mail; if you want tracking it will obviously cost more. PM me if you're interested and I'll set one aside for you and provide you with a shipping quote, where necessary.
DSC00003-10.jpg

I'll be cutting about an inch from the fringe on each end, but you get the idea:

100_3383.jpg

I couldn't get a picture that wasn't washed in that crappy yellow glow. Sorry. :O

Back