PC or MAC?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PC or MAC. Which do you prefer?

• PC

Votes: 91 50.8%
  • MAC

Votes: 88 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mine hasn't girlfriend.

What am I supposed to do, lie? I am speaking of personal experience, but I am sure there are ones out there that have crapped out on others. But the friends of mine, including myself, have yet to make any complaints. Or do you own these machines and no first hand that they crap out on a regular basis?

Geezus!

Hmmmm...tell that to my boss who needed 3 hard drive replacements in a span of 2 years.

I don't care about your boss. My personal experience they have handled quite well and I am in a school program that uses a ton of them. Of course I haven't spoken to all the students, but the ones close to me, my friends, and myself included have a damn good track record. All I know is I have been very confident with the machines I owned.

I am a honest person, if they broke down I would let you guys know. I don't hold anything back.

I don't care about your boss. My personal experience they have handled quite well and I am in a school program that uses a ton of them. Of course I haven't spoken to all the students, but the ones close to me, my friends, and myself included have a damn good track record. All I know is I have been very confident with the machines I owned.

I am a honest person, if they broke down I would let you guys know. I don't hold anything back.

Hey, you're the one who said they don't break down - like all Macs are invincible. I was just pointing out that they can. I know 3 people who have had problems with theirs out of maybe 7 people that I personally know who have them. So you haven't had any problems - good for you...but they are not perfect machines like you try to make them out to be. Not saying PCs are perfect either. I've had no problems and no viruses but I wouldn't say PCs don't break down, because factually that would be incorrect. :)

I've never broken a glass so that means they don't break.

Shush you guys know what I mean. They are very reliable machines and from my own personal experiences and others I know, besides you guys, probably broke because you're Americans and you have a way of breaking things, but hey, that's the way about you guys. Either way maglor, it's your time vs. money. In the end time always wins.

And Bodie, you only wish...

But you can have EvilFace. Granted he's even too good for you. hehe

Shush you guys know what I mean. They are very reliable machines and from my own personal experiences and others I know, besides you guys, probably broke because you're Americans and you have a way of breaking things, but hey, that's the way about you guys. Either way maglor, it's your time vs. money. In the end time always wins.

I have a friend who has been in the IT business for years. He has seen and owned many many computers.

In his experience, Macs are much more reliable and break down much less. I trust his judgment.

Also, he explained something about Windows machines that I didn't know. I am pretty much retarded when it comes to computers, but he told me that windows has something in it called a "registry" which he referred to as a "rats nest", and it's the main reason that PCs slow down noticeably in a matter of months. The Mac operating system does not have this and is therefore a much "cleaner" system.

He also said that there is a fundamental difference in philosophy between Windows and Mac:

Windows: They go out of their way to not alienate any of their consumers. If they release new software they make sure that it is compatible with all of their older stuff even if the design is clunky and has known flaws.

Mac: Will always try to improve software and weed out mistakes even if it means that some of their customers will have no choice but to upgrade.

I can see advantages to both ways of thinking, but I am more drawn to the second. I don't like the idea of being forced to buy new, but my friend said that such a major change is pretty rare, and you would have a few years warning. And by the end of those few years you would probably need to upgrade anyway if you had a PC, because it would be running so slow by that time.

Also, he explained something about Windows machines that I didn't know. I am pretty much retarded when it comes to computers, but he told me that windows has something in it called a "registry" which he referred to as a "rats nest", and it's the main reason that PCs slow down noticeably in a matter of months. The Mac operating system does not have this and is therefore a much "cleaner" system.

While true this can be a rats nest I wouldn't say a matter of months. It all depends on how you use the computer. If YOU are installing all sorts of ____...of COURSE it is going to get into a mess and destroy your OS. If you properly remove programs with add/remove most of the time it is cleaned up but it is also the responsibility for the the installed program to properly clean itself up...not necessarily windows. If you properly use your computer and don't download smut your register can be very clean for a long time.

-1 for your friend

He also said that there is a fundamental difference in philosophy between Windows and Mac:

Windows: They go out of their way to not alienate any of their consumers. If they release new software they make sure that it is compatible with all of their older stuff even if the design is clunky and has known flaws.

Mac: Will always try to improve software and weed out mistakes even if it means that some of their customers will have no choice but to upgrade.

This is LOADS of BS.

They clearly made sure everything was compatible with their old stuff when they made Vista. :rolleyes2

With Windows 7 they have made huge strides in security and cleaning up the OS and making sure that nothing gets installed that shouldn't. Obviously there are exceptions to everything but it is better than Vista and LOADS better than XP. Microsoft is ALWAYS trying to improve their software. Your IT friend clearly isn't a programmer because if he was he would know that statement is incorrect. It isn't noticeable to everyone but Microsoft is the leader in the programming world because they are always making updates always improving how they are doing things.

-1 to your friend

Well generaly I trust my real life friends more than my internet friends. No offense. I'm just sayin...

While true this can be a rats nest I wouldn't say a matter of months. It all depends on how you use the computer. If YOU are installing all sorts of ____...of COURSE it is going to get into a mess and destroy your OS. If you properly remove programs with add/remove most of the time it is cleaned up but it is also the responsibility for the the installed program to properly clean itself up...not necessarily windows. If you properly use your computer and don't download smut your register can be very clean for a long time.

I never download smut. I do update programs. My computer is hella slow. I am not good at computer maintenance.

With Windows 7 they have made huge strides in security and cleaning up the OS and making sure that nothing gets installed that shouldn't. Obviously there are exceptions to everything but it is better than Vista and LOADS better than XP. Microsoft is ALWAYS trying to improve their software. Your IT friend clearly isn't a programmer because if he was he would know that statement is incorrect. It isn't noticeable to everyone but Microsoft is the leader in the programming world because they are always making updates always improving how they are doing things.

Actually I wasn't totally accurate when I said that my friend was in IT.

He used to be an IT person. Now he is a high paid programmer. This is not a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back