PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was finally in the action rpg mood after finishing dragon age inquisition a while back and picked up witcher 3 for $20ish dollars and WOW that is one gorgeous game. Loving it so far and I never really got too far into Witcher 2.

that's some great temps there Solidus.

Last edited:
Great pickup! Witcher 3 is perhaps the most engrossing game I've played in my life. I'm on my third play through right now. The game really pushes the limit of any GPU, although I have been able to play it at 1440p (DSR) at 60 FPS with my 1080.

Like you said, it looks fantastic, too. Just wait until you reach Skellig :drool.

Yeah same here with the resolution just an ultrawide so a little extra room on the sides @3440x1440. running 2x980ti's and get 75-100 (cap of my monitor's refresh rate) and runs very smooth. Can't wait to add a few mods to the game...just the visual ones and ones to save me time like increasing the weight carry limit to 9999 so I don't have to run back and sell stuff as often.

what no one's talking about the new TitanX? lol I just bought the 1080 ! and now this ... if I knew I would've hold out

I hear you , I am running an Acer X34 Predator 3440x1440 with an MSI 1080 GTX. Was debating on buying another but now I may hold off to see the 10x Titan X.
To the above poster I am playing through the Witcher myself , Skellig ****s on my card .... average 38-45fps. Sucks we can't go 4k yet because of the crap refresh rates.

In terms of price-to-performance, it's never a good idea to buy a Titan card, because they fall into obsolescence pretty fast. When Volta comes out in 2018, the flagship "80" card will beat the Titan X in terms of gaming performance. Just as how the current 1080 has beaten out the previous generation Titan X.

I hear you , I am running an Acer X34 Predator 3440x1440 with an MSI 1080 GTX. Was debating on buying another but now I may hold off to see the 10x Titan X.
To the above poster I am playing through the Witcher myself , Skellig ****s on my card .... average 38-45fps. Sucks we can't go 4k yet because of the crap refresh rates.

Did you run Display Driver Uninstaller prior to installing the new drivers? I'm running Witcher 3 at 3440x1440 on DSR at 60 fps, and I'm getting pretty steady framerates. Those framerates you mention, are closer to what I used to get, from dual 780s in SLI.

That Titan will be insane, but priced as such. The 1080 surely does everything anybody needs currently. Still, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, go for it ;)

It's actually a good value for GPU rendering--Nvidia keeps pushing the Quadro cards for that, but the M6000 costs $5,000 and definitely isn't worth it. This one has 12GB and is faster for a much lower cost.

That Titan will be insane, but priced as such. The 1080 surely does everything anybody needs currently. Still, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, go for it ;)

I can buy it, and it will surely put a hole in my pocket... but I can't justify myself buying 2 cards in the span of two months.. (was thinking about getting the monitor though, ASUS ROG PG27AQ) instead of gaming on my Samsung 4K TV .

I still need to upgrade my processor, luckily though I was still able to get a pretty good amount for my old GTX 980, I guess some people don't read news enough to know the 1060 is coming out and is cheaper and faster.

I sold my 780s for some good money back in May :lol. I'm sure the 1050 will be even more powerful, by comparison.

Btw folks, the first episode of Life is Strange is free on Steam.

I can buy it, and it will surely put a hole in my pocket... but I can't justify myself buying 2 cards in the span of two months.. (was thinking about getting the monitor though, ASUS ROG PG27AQ) instead of gaming on my Samsung 4K TV .

That's what I'd be putting my money towards instead of taking the Titan over the 1080. Assuming they have fixed the issues with the panels that is. They were hit and miss last time I checked so I didn't buy one.

Still almost a year away. A lot of gaming to do in that time and the 1080's will still be able to push whatever someone needs.

This is interesting though in that article:

"Volta was meant to arrive on the 10nm process, but according to Fudzilla, it will use the 16nm FinFET process - the same node that the new GeForce GTX 1080, GeForce GTX 1070 and GeForce GTX 1060 are all on. Volta will use stacked DRAM, so we should expect it to be quite the monster when it comes to performance. Fudzilla adds that the performance per watt is "expected to increase tremendously", which is exciting to hear."

Yeah, I don't think I'll need anymore GPU power for a while. My single 1080 is literally pushing every game at 60fps at 4K, so that's good enough for me. And since Volta will be manufactured on the same 16nm process, maybe it'll be just be a second iteration of Pascal :dunno.

Transmissions: Element 120 is up on Steam. It's a free-to-play, single-player game that takes place in the Half-Life universe, and uses the same engine as HL2. I'm downloading it right now.

Back