PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew that keyboards were so important. I just buy whatever's on sale, or whatever comes pre-packaged in a PC bundle :lol.

Well for me I am a Software Engineer so I type all day for my day job and then I work on Collection Stash at night so I am coding all night. I am probably typing a good 14 hours out of the day, every day. So it is very important to me.

Well for me I am a Software Engineer so I type all day for my day job and then I work on Collection Stash at night so I am coding all night. I am probably typing a good 14 hours out of the day, every day. So it is very important to me.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I can see why you'd want the most comfortable keyboard for your hands.

I think the best typing keyboard that I used was the old "click keys" (or tactile?) IBM keyboard when I was in middle school in the late 90s. The keys were raised and typing was very comfortable.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I can see why you'd want the most comfortable keyboard for your hands.

I think the best typing keyboard that I used was the old "click keys" (or tactile?) IBM keyboard when I was in middle school in the late 90s. The keys were raised and typing was very comfortable.

Hell yes!

That is why I pretty much strictly use mechanical keyboards now.

Hell yes!

That is why I pretty much strictly use mechanical keyboards now.

That's awesome. I can definitely say that I've been educated on keyboards now. I'll probably look into a better one, than what I'm using currently. I don't type as much, but my engineering reports (every few weeks) are usually around 50 pages in length. It's a strain on the wrists getting everything prepared sometimes.

That's awesome. I can definitely say that I've been educated on keyboards now. I'll probably look into a better one, than I'm using currently. I don't type as much, but my engineering reports (every few weeks) are usually around 50 pages in length. It's a strain on the wrists getting everything prepared sometimes.

Mechanical keys for the win! :rock

post your rigs guys..mine is:

Asus P8 Pro
i7 3770k
16 gigs GSkill Ripjaw X 1600
eVGA GTX 680 SC
2 x Agility 3 SSD 256GB
Antec 750w
Corsair C70 Military Green
Corsair K60
Corsair M60

I might upgrade to an i7 later on. From what I've been reading, it seems to perform better in applications like Autodesk Inventor than the i5.

Hah, yes it would--any 3D application really.

Mine:

i7 3930k
32GB RAM
256GB SSD
2x GTX 580 3GB

+Wacom Cintiq 24HD which I just realized is worth more than the entire computer (thank god for tax returns).

Hah, yes it would--any 3D application really.

Mine:

i7 3930k
32GB RAM
256GB SSD
2x GTX 580 3GB

+Wacom Cintiq 24HD which I just realized is worth more than the entire computer (thank god for tax returns).

I had to google that...WOW that is insanely sweet.

Yeah i hear ya, especially with the feel of the keys, that is totally subjective...I wasn't sure I would like it or hate it but I ended up liking it. I wish stores would have more gaming keyboards you could test out.

Computer stores in the us are a freaking joke.

I never knew that keyboards were so important. I just buy whatever's on sale, whatever's available, or whatever comes pre-packaged in a PC bundle.

Right now, I'm using an old PS/2 Compaq Presario keyboard from the 90s, because my USB one died last week :lol.

Old school!!! :)

Old school!!! :)

Lol. I had to dig that keyboard out of storage - I was quite surprised to see that it still worked.

On another note, my first computer was an Acer Aspire from 1996:

Pentium 1 150 Mhz
16 MB EDO RAM (expandable to 32 MB)
2 GB hard drive

It played Tyrian, Tie-Fighter, and Rebel Assault I and II pretty well!

PCs have really come a long way since then :lol.

Lol. I had to dig that keyboard out of storage - I was quite surprised to see that it still worked.

On another note, my first computer was an Acer Aspire from 1996:

Pentium 1 150 Mhz
16 MB EDO RAM (expandable to 32 MB)
2 GB hard drive

It played Tyrian, Tie-Fighter, and Rebel Assault I and II pretty well!

PCs have really come a long way since then :lol.

It's like old consoles, they never broke.
The number of times I threw my controller at my Mega Drive.... the controller had broken shell and was making maracas noise. Always worked! :rock

The last PC game I played was Diablo III (and before that, was Duke Nukem 3D :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4). My biggest issues with PC gaming was always upgrading everything to make sure you could play the newest games at max settings - My college roommate was always upgrading his parts, and I knew I could never do that, nor did I want to spend the money on a super-expensive rig - I always bought the cheapest PCs to get me on the interweb and spent my money on consoles, because I tend to be the lazy type of person who buys a new computer every 6-7 years when I HAVE to (console lifecycle mentality). The only reason why I played Diablo was because I just recently bought a decent laptop to replace my 7 year old desktop, and I still couldn't play the game at max settings.

And even though I'm not a PC guy, I never understood all the hate for PC gamers (nor the general fanboyism for idnividual consoles).

From Engadget

We're here at NVIDIA's GPU Technology Conference in San Jose, and company CEO Jen Hsun-Huang has just revealed the next step in its GPU roadmap. Called Volta, it's scheduled to arrive after Maxwell, and will advance GPU technology with a ridiculous amount of memory bandwidth. Volta GPUs will have access to up to 1TB per second of bandwidth by stacking the DRAM on top of the GPU itself, with a silica substrate between them. Then, by cutting a hole through the silicon and connecting each layer it's possible to move, according to Huang "all of the data from a full Blu-Ray disc through the chip in 1/50th of a second." We aren't exactly sure what that means for graphics, but being able to process data that quickly is bound to be a boon for gamers... whenever Volta actually arrives, of course.

Mobile:

Thought the new Tegra 4i was the bees knees when it we saw it last month? Well, NVIDIA gave us a bit more info on the next steps in the Tegra roadmap, Logan and Stark Parker. It turns out that these next two mobile platforms will both utilize NVIDIA's CUDA technology, with Logan packing a Kepler GPU and Parker running a Project Denver 64-bit ARM CPU and a next-gen Maxwell GPU. Logan arrives early next year, while Parker won't be in devices until sometime in 2015.

I think PC's should be updated more than consoles (since games are rarely optimized for them) but I don't think you'd have to upgrade as often as people complain. I'm at the high end and I update every couple years, but realistically I could wait something like 5 years just fine which is about the length of a console lifetime. Still, that would be a $2,000 purchase compared to a console at say $400.

Ultimately it won't matter when cloud gaming becomes normal, because then you can have the benefits of both

It's like old consoles, they never broke.
The number of times I threw my controller at my Mega Drive.... the controller had broken shell and was making maracas noise. Always worked! :rock

The Sega Megadrive was awesome! I always wanted to pair it up with a Sega CD or 32 X.

That's a nice Kain avatar, btw. I can't remember when was the last time that I played Soul Reaver.

The last PC game I played was Diablo III (and before that, was Duke Nukem 3D :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4). My biggest issues with PC gaming was always upgrading everything to make sure you could play the newest games at max settings - My college roommate was always upgrading his parts, and I knew I could never do that, nor did I want to spend the money on a super-expensive rig - I always bought the cheapest PCs to get me on the interweb and spent my money on consoles, because I tend to be the lazy type of person who buys a new computer every 6-7 years when I HAVE to (console lifecycle mentality). The only reason why I played Diablo was because I just recently bought a decent laptop to replace my 7 year old desktop, and I still couldn't play the game at max settings.

And even though I'm not a PC guy, I never understood all the hate for PC gamers (nor the general fanboyism for idnividual consoles).

You don't really need a lot of money to customize a good gaming PC. Even with as little as $400 at your disposal, you can build a fairly powerful gaming desktop that would be more graphically superior in performance than any of the current generation consoles. And with several hundred more, you can probably even build something that would surpass the capabilities of the next-gen consoles (eg. PS4, X-Box 720).

Back