PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play both as well. And yeah nothing beat keyboard+mouse for FPS no matter what ignorant kids will tell you nowadays.

This seemed like a good place to ask this question, so here it goes;

About a month ago I switched from Comcast Xfinity to Verizon FIOS for my internet, t.v., and phone. My internet speed through FIOS was supposed to be 75 down 35 up (75/35). A couple days after it was installed I noticed it actually seems slower than when I had Comcast.

I ran a speed test through Verizon's website and it was showing that I was only getting 35/28. :( But after a live chat session with someone from tech support, they did something on their end to fix it. Now I'm getting 84/39 consistently!
buttrock.gif

But here's the problem. I'm getting 84/39 on my computer when it's connected to the router/modem with an Ethernet cable, but as soon as I unplug the cable and use wireless, it dips to around 35/28 again. Even when I'm standing right next to the router with my laptop. This makes no sense.

Any suggestions from tech heads here? I know that a hardline is faster than wireless, but if I'm literally standing next to the router with my computer, no way can I loose over half my Internet speed as a result.

This seemed like a good place to ask this question, so here it goes;

About a month ago I switched from Comcast Xfinity to Verizon FIOS for my internet, t.v., and phone. My internet speed through FIOS was supposed to be 75 down 35 up (75/35). A couple days after it was installed I noticed it actually seems slower than when I had Comcast.

I ran a speed test through Verizon's website and it was showing that I was only getting 35/28. :( But after a live chat session with someone from tech support, they did something on their end to fix it. Now I'm getting 84/39 consistently!
buttrock.gif

But here's the problem. I'm getting 84/39 on my computer when it's connected to the router/modem with an Ethernet cable, but as soon as I unplug the cable and use wireless, it dips to around 35/28 again. Even when I'm standing right next to the router with my laptop. This makes no sense.

Any suggestions from tech heads here? I know that a hardline is faster than wireless, but if I'm literally standing next to the router with my computer, no way can I loose over half my Internet speed as a result.

But, empirically, that seems to be exactly what is going on. Same internet, same computer, different connection.

Well it's Wireless vs Ethernet so it makes sense.
Wireless is not just based on your cable capability but also on your Router Wi-Fi strength and I don't believe any router today can deal with Fiber Optics speeds through wireless.

I have ATT fiber optics at home and even wired I'm not going any faster than DSL usually (tops around 1.3Mb/sec download)

But, empirically, that seems to be exactly what is going on. Same internet, same computer, different connection.

But that's my point, the settings within the router may be off or not configured right. It's easily capable of handling the speed going into it. In fact, Verizon won't even back up it's speeds if you choose to use routers that they don't provide you with the FIOS service. Their fastest package is 300/65 (which is ridiculous) and the modem/router they provide can easily deal with that at 1 gbps. Obviously there's no such thing as speeds that fast yet, but the point is, a router that is rated at 1 gbps should have no issue with 75 Mbps. I was just hoping someone had a quick suggestion. I'll have to contact Verizon again and see what the deal is. I just don't have time at the moment without being at my house.

Well it's Wireless vs Ethernet so it makes sense.
Wireless is not just based on your cable capability but also on your Router Wi-Fi strength and I don't believe any router today can deal with Fiber Optics speeds through wireless.

I have ATT fiber optics at home and even wired I'm not going any faster than DSL usually (tops around 1.3Mb/sec download)

Routers don't take a direct fiber optic signal. At least not with FIOS, the fiber optic signal goes pure to your house, gets converted at some device that they install within the house and runs through a coaxial cable to the modem/wireless router.

But that's my point, the settings within the router may be off or not configured right. It's easily capable of handling the speed going into it. In fact, Verizon won't even back up it's speeds if you choose to use routers that they don't provide you with the FIOS service. Their fastest package is 300/65 (which is ridiculous) and the modem/router they provide can easily deal with that at 1 gbps. Obviously there's no such thing as speeds that fast yet, but the point is, a router that is rated at 1 gbps should have no issue with 75 Mbps. I was just hoping someone had a quick suggestion. I'll have to contact Verizon again and see what the deal is. I just don't have time at the moment without being at my house.

Routers don't take a direct fiber optic signal. At least not with FIOS, the fiber optic signal goes pure to your house, gets converted at some device that they install within the house and runs through a coaxial cable to the modem/wireless router.

As mentioned earlier, wired is going to give you a faster connection speed than wireless. You probably don't have wireless n on your computer which is why the speed for wireless is slower.

Theoretical vs. Actual Network Speeds

Like most kinds of computer networks, Wi-Fi supports varying levels of performance depending on which technology standards it supports. Each Wi-Fi standard is rated according to its maximum theoretical network bandwidth:

802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps

The performance of Wi-Fi networks practically never approaches these theoretical maximums. 802.11b networks, for example, generally operate no faster than about 50% of theoretical peak, around 5.5 Mbps. Likewise, 802.11a and 802.11g networks generally run no faster than 20 Mbps. And even though 802.11n rates at 300 Mbps compared to wired Fast Ethernet at 100 Mbps, the Ethernet connection can often outperform 802.11n Wi-Fi in real-world usage.

As mentioned earlier, wired is going to give you a faster connection speed than wireless. You probably don't have wireless n on your computer which is why the speed for wireless is slower.

Hmm, that's possible. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info.

Did people really buy Intels motherboards? I don't really know how good their Mobos are. I will always stick to Asus.

Intel made some unique motherboards and some pretty high-end stuff. Like some dual-socket motherboards that no one else made (speaking in the desktop end rather than server/workstation end)

Did people really buy Intels motherboards? I don't really know how good their Mobos are. I will always stick to Asus.

No, Intel isn't really known for their motherboards. They are more of a standard issue main board maker. It's Asus, Gigabyte and several other's that are more of the enthusiast board makers. Which seems to make sense for one of the main reason for Intel's exit of the desktop arena.

I just read that Logitech is getting out of the gaming peripheral and speaker docs business! :gah:

I is very sad.

50% off on Skyrim at Steam right now. Good deal for anyone who still hasn't pulled the trigger. It's a must have PC game IMO. Especially with all the mods available.

Where do you see this? It still shows $59.99 for me

Bummer. Yeah, it's gone. I'm pretty sure it was the deal of the day. What time do they change that? Either they updated it or took it down for some reason.

Bummer. Yeah, it's gone. I'm pretty sure it was the deal of the day. What time do they change that? Either they updated it or took it down for some reason.

That sucks :monkey2 my brother is building a new PC on monday and was wanting to pick up Skyrim. I think they usually change things around noon? I honestly don't know I just know they do that through their big sales.

Back