PC Backup software recommendations?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryoguns

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this out here to see if I can get any suggestions. The few programs I've tried thus far aren't doing quite what I want them to do.

I'm looking for a PC software backup application that functions essentially like a glorified copy/rename tool. I want it to be able to copy specific files and directories off of one drive and store them on another. However, I want it to copy exactly rather than creating a singular backup file and storing the data there (that's sort of like storing things in a .zip file. If I wanted them zipped to a single file, I'd do that myself)

Beyond this, I also want it to be seek out changes, additions, and deletions on future backups and mirror the backup data to match the original data. So as I add new files or folders to my working directories, delete unneeded old files, and even rename files, it will duplicate these efforts on the backup without leaving extra file copies behind. Something that can compare the original vs. the backup and just change what needs to be changed without creating an entirely new backup. All this is much like an incremental backup.

I guess I'm kind of looking for something like a non-realtime RAID drive :p I want it to copy the data to prevent loss, but only when I choose to rather than running it 100% of the time.

Any suggestions?

I just copy stuff to a external hard drive.

That's what I have, but I'm looking at regularly backing up a large amount of data that takes a substantial amount of time to copy even via USB drive. Rather than doing a several hour backup every time, I'd prefer it just to make the corrections in the data that has changed since the last backup. I also want it not to lump everything into a single file for ease of access if I ever had to use it on another computer without having to go through the hassle of restoring the backup file first or needing the backup software on a second PC.

I would second Synctoy for what your looking for.

I use to to keep itunes libraries the same on multiple pcs so I can plug devices in to any and it doesnt delete and resync

Back